Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: nec 2690 wuxi pink colorcast  (Read 5701 times)

gmerrell

nec 2690 wuxi pink colorcast
« on: August 18, 2009, 09:21:18 pm »

After reading this forum and carefully reviewing new monitors, I purchased an NEC 2690wuxi with the Spectraview II
I am using it as a second monitor.
After hours of reading and calibrating I constantly have a pink color cast.
Anybody seen this before?
Any suggestion on what I am doing wrong? Please, somebody help before I pull all my hair out.

Greg

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 09:59:19 pm »

Quote from: gmerrell
After reading this forum and carefully reviewing new monitors, I purchased an NEC 2690wuxi with the Spectraview II
I am using it as a second monitor.
After hours of reading and calibrating I constantly have a pink color cast.
Anybody seen this before?
Any suggestion on what I am doing wrong? Please, somebody help before I pull all my hair out.

Greg

It is hard to say without actually seeing how you are calibrating the monitor if you are actually doing anything wrong or if there is anything wrong with the hardware. Given you mention you read a lot about how to do it and what to use it would seem unlikely you are doing anything wrong.

It could be that your sensor is faulty.

What sort of monitor did u have before hand?

Its not uncommon for people coming from cheap crappy monitors to high end displays to think the picture is wrong at first because it looks (and is) a lot 'warmer' in color temperature than a run of the mill LCD (which are all pretty much way to cool) when properly calibrated.

What are you calibrating to as a matter of interest? D65, Gamma 2.2 should be your settings.

Whats the ambient lighting in the room? Open glass windows to sunshine? Solux?

Post a bit more info and should be able to get it sorted.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

gmerrell

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 10:51:42 pm »

I have been using a Samsung lcd 24".
I printed hundreds of images with my 7800 and the Samsung set up.

I have tried d65 and d50 Gamma2.2. I have 5500k special florescent lighting in the room. The lights are probably a little to bright.
There is no outside, sunlight. I wonder if I have a bad monitor or calibration device.

Greg

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 02:58:27 am »

I have been using a Samsung lcd 24".
I printed hundreds of images with my 7800 and the Samsung set up.

I have tried d65 and d50 Gamma2.2. I have 5500k special florescent lighting in the room. The lights are probably a little to bright.
There is no outside, sunlight. I wonder if I have a bad monitor or calibration device.

Greg

2690WUXi is a wide gamut display and as such it can fool colorimeter. Try to calibrate the panel to native white point - enter the advanced menu, tag "8">factory preset and reset the display, then choose "NON" in tag 5, and "N" in tag 6. Run Spectraview, Tools>Colorimeter Window>Continous - measure the display and set desired luminance, then Edit>Target>White Point>Custom>Edit>Measure and calibrate the display to that target.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 04:51:06 am by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 09:52:02 am »

I have 5500k special florescent lighting in the room. The lights are probably a little to bright.

Another issue with Fluorescent's are the effect on OBA's in papers (that can produce a cast and a mismatch between the print and display).

I also think if you're using a colorimeter that doesn't have custom filters, you have to fudge the white point a bit. Pick a value in the software that results in a visual match and forget the actual numbers.

IF the Fluorescent are too light, up the luminance of the display or get something better you can control (better Fluorescent booth's have dimmers).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

WillH

• http://www.necdisplay.com
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 10:48:16 am »

Quote from: Czornyj
2690WUXi is a wide gamut display and as such it can fool colorimeter. Try to calibrate the panel to native white point - enter the advanced menu, tag "8">factory preset and reset the display, then choose "NON" in tag 5, and "N" in tag 6. Run Spectraview, Tools>Colorimeter Window>Continous - measure the display and set desired luminance, then Edit>Target>White Point>Custom>Edit>Measure and calibrate the display to that target.

Or a different way if you are trying to match the display white point to what you think is the "correct" white point, you can use the "Visual Match" feature. "Edit Target..." -> White Point "Edit..." -> Check "Visual Match", Check "White Screen Background". Adjust color using control to get the white point, then measure with the sensor. Save this as a new Target and calibrate.
Will Hollingworth
Senior Manager, Product Development
NEC Display Solutions of America, Inc.

gmerrell

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 11:51:51 am »

Thanks for all your help. I did what Czornyj suggested and everything worked great.
What a terrific resource this forum is for problem solving.
Thanks again.

Greg
Pages: [1]   Go Up