Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Competition = working for free.  (Read 19291 times)

PatrikR

• http://www.patrikraski.com
Competition = working for free.
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2009, 01:33:39 am »

Quote from: ziocan
What you say make no sense, because of those 50 magazines on the USA new stands, at least 45 pay and pay pretty well. SELF magazines, even pay up to 1000$ a page if the photographer is worth. Many of the american magazines pay 500$ a page (nearly double of european magazines) and if you do a story of 8 / 10 pages that is hardly working for free.
There are magazines that do not pay and are not worth working, because nearly nobody cares about them. But it does not take a crystal ball to tell which they are. On the other hand there are a few others which do not pay ( pay only expenses) but are worth working because they normally get on the desk of art directors, editor in chief and clients.
Some of the photographers here complain that magazines do not pay for editorials and make it sounds like all the magazines do not pay at all, simply because they are not good enough for being asked to work by the vast majority of magazines that pay.

Magazines do pay for editorials, just a small minority do not pay.

Not mentioning that beside what you are paid per page or photo, the magazines pay for the digital package, up to 1500$ a day (even on this economy) so if you carry your computer, cameras and assistant, you can claim those money and pay for your equipment and they pay for the retouching between 100 to 250$ a photo.

Great! and thanks for putting the data down and not letting everyone reading these posts believe that magazines do not pay photographers.
Patrik Raski - Espoo, Finland

ziocan

« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2009, 04:14:58 am »

Quote from: PatrikR
Great! and thanks for putting the data down and not letting everyone reading these posts believe that magazines do not pay photographers.
You welcome. there have been a lot of misinformation on this thread by colleges that are not familiar with working with fashion magazines.
These kind of information have to be kept straight, because for any individual posting on this forum there are many more reading this stuff and probably the majority are young photographers.
We cannot teach them to get screwed when it is not necessary to.

lisa_r

« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2009, 11:02:24 am »

ziocan, in your experience do you know if the models are getting paid decently?

Voltman

« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2009, 09:36:39 pm »

Quote from: Nick Walker
Harlan Ellison Pay the Writer - Warner Brothers the making of Babylon 5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj5IV23g-fE

"How dare you call me and ask me to work for nothing"

"I don't take a piss without getting paid for it"

Excellent!

ziocan

« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2009, 10:37:56 pm »

Quote from: lisa_r
ziocan, in your experience do you know if the models are getting paid decently?
The main stream magazines (ELLE, Marie, Claire ,Cosmo, Self etc.) pay the models.
The Vogue like magazines from large publisher companies, pay few hundred bucks. ( i believe no more than 300 per day)
Those magazines who do not want to pay the photographers do not even pay the models.

There are popular cheap magazines, that on order to have decent photographers and models pay catalogue rate, and photographers do not sign with their own name.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 10:39:25 pm by ziocan »

TMARK

« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2009, 02:10:23 am »

What do your reps want you to do?  When I had a rep she wanted me to shoot free editorial (usage was $300 a page) for Zink, with several of the rep's other clients (MUA, stylists).  

It wasn't really a matter of competition, it was recognition that in fashion you have to always be shooting and getting exposure, which was more valuable than getting pissy and indignant over a few hundred bucks.

Alex MacPherson

• http://alexmacpherson.com
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2009, 03:37:48 am »

Quote from: TMARK
What do your reps want you to do?  When I had a rep she wanted me to shoot free editorial (usage was $300 a page) for Zink, with several of the rep's other clients (MUA, stylists).  

It wasn't really a matter of competition, it was recognition that in fashion you have to always be shooting and getting exposure, which was more valuable than getting pissy and indignant over a few hundred bucks.

I'd give my left nut to be published in Zink! The more people see your stuff ... the more people will want to pay you.
Alex MacPherson

Visit My Website

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2009, 04:28:45 am »

Quote from: Dolce Moda Photography
I'd give my left nut to be published in Zink! The more people see your stuff ... the more people will want to pay you.

Save your nut. It really isnt that big a deal!
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

amsp

« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2009, 07:01:54 am »

Quote from: Phil Indeblanc
Save your nut. It really isnt that big a deal!
lol, I agree, trust me your left nut is far more valuable.

TMARK

« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2009, 12:29:44 pm »

Quote from: Dolce Moda Photography

Zink needs to fill space and they have contacts with reps who want new talent to get exposure. Sometimes they have nice stuff, sometimes they don't.  I think they just need pictures to keep the ads rubbing against each other, so quality varies.  I felt it was a scam, because at that point, in 2005, I had lots of editorial out there in better mags, with better printing.  One photographer had some four straight issues to herself, basicly, and I thought that strange, like the rep rented the page space.

That testicle is far more valuable that whatever is going on with Zink.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 12:32:13 pm by TMARK »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up