Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Cloud Forest  (Read 2955 times)

Ken R

The Cloud Forest
« on: August 18, 2009, 10:26:21 am »

Hi, this past saturday I went again to the Yunque rainforest to hike and explore a bit more the top part of the forest (near and above 3000 ft). It was a tough climb with very heavy rain for more than one hour and several heavy dowpours on the way down. Up top I was in the clouds for most of the time so taking pictures of the posible expansive view of the landscapes was not posible. Just as I was about to go down the clouds went away! so for 15 minutes I had somewhat clear skies!

The cloud forest really only occurs at the very top of the mountains close to the ridges exposed to constant wind and moisture. The wind restricts the height of the trees to only 10-15 ft and causes the trunks and branches to twist and turn into interesting shapes. Because of the moisture almost everything (ground, rocks, trees etc) is covered with moss and other plant life.

Some of the terrain is quite rocky and steep. To get to the lookout point on the rock there some minor rock scrambling. I took my Olympus e410 with kit lens for the hike only. I threw it inside my atmos 35 pack without a case so to have somewhat quick access whenever the rain stopped. I had a raincover on the pack most of the time. Nothing got wet even though i was in the heavy rain for more than one hour and in an extremely humid environment during the 3-4 hour hike. The perforated foam and mesh used in the Osprey pack was key since it lets air through and doesnt soak in water. A lowepro or typical photobackpack with thick foam padding would have been absolutely soaked.

I found that I could comfortably hike with the camera strap around my neck when it wasnt raining and used the sternun strap of the pack to keep the camera from swinging too much. It is the best way to hike with the camera and take pictures along the trail. Putting the pack down and taking out the camera isnt practical if taking images every 10-20 min because the terrain was very wet, sometimes muddy so putting the pack down got it filthy. The Olympus turns out to be quite a tough little camera!

My pack weight was around 18 lbs (I carried 4L of water, food, emergency kit, change of clothes, rain jacket, water shoes, gps and a few other items. I didnt take my tripod or the 5D with 2 lenses (when I do pack weight goes up to 27 lbs. it makes hiking noticably more tiring)

there are a LOT of macro shot opportunities on this forest. wow. One could be there all day shooting macros.  I am going to schedule a trip just to do that. Light conditions are poor (I used iso 1600 on most shots) and one must be constantly vigilant on the weather to prevent gear from being ruined but it should be fun. Its a very tough place to shoot (weather really doesnt get any worse for gear than this other than cold weather whiteout and icing conditions) so its a good place to test gear and methods for carying and protecting gear.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 10:42:56 am by sneakyracer »

Luis Argerich

• Astrolandscaper
    • http://www.luisargerich.com/
The Cloud Forest
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 01:05:38 pm »

Very nice pics and thanks for sharing the story.
About the pics they are great, the first one from the 2nd round is my fav, the shapes of the trees are incredible, fantastic.
Any other valuable tips from your experience about shooting in wet environments?

thanks!

usathyan

• http://www.umeshbhatt.com/
The Cloud Forest
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 02:38:20 pm »

Very nice pictures...and great story. Thanks for sharing!
--------------
Umesh Bhatt [url=http://w

Ken R

The Cloud Forest
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 04:23:17 pm »

Hi, thx

Well, there are several key pieces of gear. The boots are very important (I had a pair of tough Vasque Zephyr II goretex boots) and obviously you need a high quality rain jacket and backpack with raincover. I saw many people absolutely soaked and miserable on the trail. Its mid summer in the tropics but the rain brought cooler temps, it started quite muggy and about 80 deg. down around 1500 feet elev. before it rained then up top is was probably in the 60's and very wet. Changing lenses is just not a good idea anywhere on the trail with conditions so bad so a one lens outfit is ideal. With good weather I would bring a macro lens along a standard zoom.

Regarding the backpack.; Most photobags are short, wide and heavy (too much padding inside and out), just about the worst combination for comfort while hiking. I have a long torso and most high quality hiking packs are available in several frame sizes. I chose an osprey atmos 35 due to the size and comfort/fit with the perforated foam and mesh hipbelt and straps and mesh backpanel with airspace inbetween the pack and back + it has many cool features like hipbelt pockets and a hydration pack pocket and opening for the tube. Ideally a waist pack is the best for quick access and comfort. But if you need to carry extra clothes / gear and lots of water then a backpack is a must.
Pages: [1]   Go Up