Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fort Collins, Colorado, US  (Read 4196 times)

robackja

• http://theworldin35mm.org/
Fort Collins, Colorado, US
« on: August 17, 2009, 04:47:18 pm »

Hello All.

I am visiting/working in Fort Collins, Colorado this week. Its the Rockies. I'm sure there are 50 million beautiful places to do landscape photography here, but I really don't have the time to do any scouting. Any recommendations? Within 45min to an hour drive from Old Town, College Ave area of Fort Collins?

thanks.

Joe

reburns

• Ralph E Burns Photography
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 06:33:09 pm »

My buddy hunts moose with his camera up Poudre Canyon, and FWIW he said:

"If you go up the Poudre to the pass look for Chambers Lake. Go about 1 mi past - turn left at Blue Lake or the Long Draw Gulch or something like that. It goes clear back to Poudre Pass. There are several lakes along the way. Trap lake is one of the 1st. Stay there. The male moose comes in from the backside. The cows from the front towards the road. They swim in the lake. If you had a belly boat it would be getting close to nature..Otherwise hang out on the rear away from the road if possible to get him. I saw him around 3:30 PM in the lake. I am sure he's there in the AM. Don't assume you can see from the road. You can't. Get out and walk down to the lake. While it's small there are hiding places for the moose. Don't go anywhere without your camera in your hand. If you want to use the 600mm that's fine. It's going to see heavy use this weekend but not during the week till the trees turn. I took a couple of shot I really like along Chambers Lake road. They were Aspens and I was just trying out the new gear. I didn't use a tripod, hand held. When I got home they were spectacular just not sharp. I am pissed at myself. Also the first really small lake on Chambers, while it had no moose, was all lilly pads, really cool pano shot about halfway along the lake. Duh again, no tripod...This is on your right after you turn in. Can't remember how far but it's close and there's a bathroom there. Good shooting at dawn I think. Take the W/A and tripod."

I say the Poudre is a nice spot, and you can map out those lakes and hit them between work.  Don't tell anyone else!

jmvdigital

• http://www.jmvdigital.com
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 06:55:39 pm »

Quote from: reburns
I say the Poudre is a nice spot, and you can map out those lakes and hit them between work.  Don't tell anyone else!

The Poudre Canyon is indeed quite nice, but to make it up to Cameron Pass is a minimum 2 hour drive from Fort Collins. The windy road is slow going when you get stuck behind a 40-ft camper. If you're up for the drive, go for it.

What are you interested in shooting? Traditional Colorado landscape mountain stuff? You could head to Rocky Mountain National Park, through Estes Park. Estes is about 45 minutes from Fort Collins. It's a cute little tourist town with great views of the mountains. Personally? I would skip RMNP. It is pretty, if you take the full drive through the park, but that a full-day excursion, and it's usually riddled with 20 million tourists.

I live up in Wellington, CO, about 15 minutes north of Fort Collins. I like to roam the dirt roads to the North East (Pawnee National Grasslands area) and photograph ranch/farm/rural stuff. Be warned that it's mostly flat, prairie life out there.

You could go up to the Snowy Range/Medicine Bow in Wyoming. It's about a 1.5 hours from Fort Collins. It's usually much much less crowded than RMNP and the Poudre Canyon. But you still get into the mountains and are rewarded with some great views (Mirror Lake) and abundant hiking opps. Veduawoo in Wyoming is a favorite place of mine also. Very pretty, good hiking, good spot for a picnic, about 45 minutes from Fort Collins. Soapstone and Red Mountain Open Space are pretty if you're up for a solid 10-mile hike to the vantage points (I mountain bike these trails); both are about 40 minutes north of FC. You could head to Lyons, CO, hit the Oskar Blues Brewery and head up into the mountains via the St. Vrain Highway. The road is usually pretty quiet, and you take on pretty good altitude (up to around 10,000 ft). There are numerous hiking trails (Sourdough Trail, Lefthand Reservoir, Brainard Lake) and dirt roads to explore if you're up for it. You could loop from Lyons through to Nederland and into Boulder and back to Fort Collins.

Just some thoughts. Send me a note if you want some more specific info.

-J
--
Justin VanAlstyne [url=http://www.jmv

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 06:56:36 pm »

Quote from: robackja
Hello All.

I am visiting/working in Fort Collins, Colorado this week. Its the Rockies. I'm sure there are 50 million beautiful places to do landscape photography here, but I really don't have the time to do any scouting. Any recommendations? Within 45min to an hour drive from Old Town, College Ave area of Fort Collins?

thanks.

Joe

I can't help with the photo locations, but you have got to go to Lucille's for breakfast!

Peter

dalethorn

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 11:05:54 pm »

I don't know the scenery there, but I do know some of the history. HP made the first personal computer (2116a) there in 1966, and also maintains the time standards there with their cesium clocks.

It would be worthwhile to look up any technology museums they have, then you could ask the insiders where they go to experience the outdoors.

reburns

• Ralph E Burns Photography
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 12:48:47 pm »

Quote from: PeterAit
I can't help with the photo locations, but you have got to go to Lucille's for breakfast!

How dissappointing... I never knew Lucille's was a "chain".  +1 for the food, possible photo op?  The grasslands suggestion sounds interesting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up