Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bogus Client  (Read 2787 times)

roskav

• http://www.roskavanagh.com
Bogus Client
« on: August 14, 2009, 06:37:26 pm »

This has happened to me once or twice before, so I should have seen this one coming.  A person rang me up today, and led me to believe that he wanted me to quote for two specific architectural jobs, the location and type of jobs were mentioned.  I asked for his email and sent off our standard rates plus a new costing system that is working quite well with my clients.  This costing system is born out of years of experience in the business and I feel gives me a bit of an edge over my normal billing systems and so I like to limit its circulation.  There was something unprofessional about his manner, so later in the day when I had time, I googled him and lo and behold I discover that he is an aspiring photographer, not in an architectural practice.  And he is obviously using my information to help him quote for the job he was talking about.  Nothing annoys me more... If someone is interested in pursuing Architectural Photography I'm more than happy to meet them for coffee, have a chat etc... but to have someone so disingenuous and ... grrr.. someone who obviously can't see that people might actually be generous ... just ring you up and get your hard earned methodology by deception ... makes me so mad, if I knew where he lived I would be 'round to his door right now.  I know it's also partly my fault.. I should have quizzed him a bit more.  I feel like finding out who his client is and letting them know what he did.  
Is this common?  .. I was going to ask if I should be so worked up about it ... but I know the answer already grr grr.
Ros

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Bogus Client
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 12:35:19 am »

Silent, non-tactile keyboard.  You can Google those dropped names as you talk and they won't know what you're doing.  Great for dropping names back at them.

Call him up around 0200, tell him you're desperate for a photographer for a bikini shoot in the Cote d'Azur, money is no object, can he get to the air charter terminal in 1 hour.

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Bogus Client
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 05:50:12 am »

Quote from: bill t.
Silent, non-tactile keyboard.  You can Google those dropped names as you talk and they won't know what you're doing.  Great for dropping names back at them.

Call him up around 0200, tell him you're desperate for a photographer for a bikini shoot in the Cote d'Azur, money is no object, can he get to the air charter terminal in 1 hour.

LOL - Cruel...

But Fair.  
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Bogus Client
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 09:48:42 am »

While no one likes being taken advantage of, as someone with exposure to the whims of the general public, you pretty much have to expect that kind of thing from time to time. In a way it is flattery as someone turned to you for guidance. Unfortunately and for whatever reason the person felt the need to use deception. No harm done, really. It’s not so much different than going to a car dealer (or any retailer) and chatting the sales person up.

Until the client signs a contract they can and will do as they please. For some the contract isn’t an impediment to deception, but what a contract gives you that a phone call doesn’t is recourse.

If you feel the need to be vindictive, you have options. Bill’s suggestion is a classic. I know someone who got jerked around and in retaliation they put up flyers all over the jerker’s neighborhood including 2 high schools that the jerker was going to hold a rave at the jerker’s house, starting at 10 PM. I heard that several hundred loaded teenagers showed up throughout the night.

But first, why do you feel the need to be vindictive? All you did was share some information. Sure you were duped, but you’d do the same for anyone who calls and asked, right?

IMO the important thing is that people call you. That means you are doing a lot of things right. I think the expression is: Don’t pet the sweaty things and don’t sweat the petty things....

roskav

• http://www.roskavanagh.com
Bogus Client
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 04:20:43 pm »

Hello folkes ... was away on hols for a couple of days but thanks for the replies.  Great advice for any which way I wanted to take it!  I've gone off the boil now and will just let it go ... although the bikini shoot idea is v tempting!  Funny how some people are just mean in their approach .. they don't reckon on others generosity and just barge in assuming the worst.

Anyway ... I will let you know of any developments.

R

Pete Ferling

Bogus Client
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 09:12:10 am »

It's tough when you run into mean people, but you can't change for the few who walk all over you.  I have to remember that I'm in this for the good folks whom need my help and to enjoy spirit of the job.

That's life, like when your crossing the street to reach your goal on the other side, and then realize that some folks run the red lights.

ashley

• http://www.ashleykaryl.com
Bogus Client
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 04:47:18 pm »

I've had this happen in the past from anonymous looking email addresses claiming to be from advertising agencies and putting together a quote for a client but without saying for who and I have become much more wary now of simply handing out prices without knowing who I am talking to first. A google email address simply signed Sylvia Smith or whatever isn't really enough information.
Ashley Karyl Photographer
[url=http://w
Pages: [1]   Go Up