Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do all wide angles suck on SLRs?  (Read 10323 times)

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Do all wide angles suck on SLRs?
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 04:07:58 pm »

Quote from: JeffKohn
I've also heard good things about the Sigma 10-22, but don't have any personal experience with it.

I had one and it's even worse than my 24-105mm f/4.0L. Well-built, solid and smooth functions, and quite a bit cheaper than the Canon 10-22, but it's very soft especially at the widest end.

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2009, 02:37:08 pm »

Quote from: michaelnotar
everyone is that the mark II version of the 16-35...is the new one soft?

I tested one briefly and I was amazed at how poor it is. The vignetting wide open I to had go back and check it did not have the wrong lens hood on.
I just bought the 35 mm f1:4 nice and sharp, I'm trying to get the new 24 but I have serious doubts it exists, I have not met a dealer yet that has seen one.
The 17 mm t/s is on my hit list to. I now think Canon has a better lens line up than Nikon, I can't see a fast lens on Nikons list anywhere other than the 50 f1:4.
But yeah the 16 - 35II is as much junk as my 17 - 40 mm only it costs more.

Kevin.
Kevin.

asf

• http://www.adamfriedberg.com
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2009, 08:10:15 pm »

Quote from: KevinA
I tested one briefly and I was amazed at how poor it is. The vignetting wide open I to had go back and check it did not have the wrong lens hood on.
I just bought the 35 mm f1:4 nice and sharp, I'm trying to get the new 24 but I have serious doubts it exists, I have not met a dealer yet that has seen one.
The 17 mm t/s is on my hit list to. I now think Canon has a better lens line up than Nikon, I can't see a fast lens on Nikons list anywhere other than the 50 f1:4.
But yeah the 16 - 35II is as much junk as my 17 - 40 mm only it costs more.

Kevin.

http://www.yodobashi.com/ec/product/100000...9936/index.html

in stock

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2009, 03:59:24 am »

Quote from: michaelnotar
everyone is that the mark II version of the 16-35...is the new one soft?

No, it isn't "soft". For a wide angle zoom I would rate mine as very good. However I would state that if you wish to make large prints you need to know it's limitations. Especially when it comes to field curvature. ( It's difficult to get the corners sharp when shooting at infinity)

The new 24mm f1.4 II and the new 24mm ts-e are in another league. So is the Nikon 14-24mm.

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2009, 12:42:33 pm »

I have used the Canon 17~40 f4 L, and 24~105 IS L on a 1DS, 1DSII, & 1DSIII, for seascape work, and the edges seem fine in 20"x30" prints. I do, however, use DXO Optics for processing/conversion. This "fixes" some of the lens faults such as C/A, and even edge sharpness. I think you can down load a trial. It may make your Canon wide glass seem "better", if not excellant. I swear by the software, and in fact their support for various cameras and lenses influences my buying decisions.   I have no connection with DXO whatsoever.  
Regards
Dave G
Beach Haven, NJ
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up