Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe Camera Raw Upgrade Supports Hasselblad 3FR Files  (Read 10017 times)

O.Ricter

Adobe Camera Raw Upgrade Supports Hasselblad 3FR Files
« on: August 13, 2009, 10:52:59 am »

Hi Guys
Did any of you try this out?

Sounds interesting?

OR/
---------------------------------------------------------------------
For the first time, with the latest ACR, you can flow your 3FR raw files directly from your CF card or hard drive to Photoshop and Lightroom.

If you shoot tethered from your Hasselblad to your Mac or PC, your FFF files are not yet compatible with Adobe Camera Raw, but Adobe and Hasselblad are working to offer this workflow capability in a future ACR upgrade.

This new workflow option marks an important step in Hasselblad-Adobe collaboration.

Says Hasselblad CEO Christian Poulsen: “At Hasselblad, we have spent years refining our cameras to deliver the highest image quality. Having achieved this goal, we are now working to develop more workflow options and to make our image files compatible with other state-of-the-art imaging software products. I trust that the release of ACR 5.4 is only the starting point for further options. We look forward to hearing what our customers will ask for next.”

http://www.hasselblad.dk/news/adobe-camera...-3fr-files.aspx

ACR 5.4 currently supports 3FR files created by the following Hasselblad cameras:

CF-22 and CF-22MS
CF-39 and CF39MS
CFH-22 and CFH-39
CFV
503CWD
H2D-22 and H2D-39
H3D-22, H3D-31, and H3D-39
H3DII-22, H3DII-31, H3DII-39, H3DII-39MS, and H3DII-50.

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 01:08:04 pm »

I might use it when tethered on a view camera, but, if you are using Hasselblad lenses, why by-pass phocus and the lens aberration corrections?

It would have been more use if it supported .fff (3f) files.

I continue to export .dng files from phocus.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Cfranson

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 01:09:11 pm »

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
I continue to export .dng files from phocus.
Dick,
Note that the exported DNGs also do not include DAC corrections.

jotloob

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 01:11:42 pm »

Quote from: O.Ricter
Hi Guys
Did any of you try this out?

Sounds interesting?

OR/
---------------------------------------------------------------------
For the first time, with the latest ACR, you can flow your 3FR raw files directly from your CF card or hard drive to Photoshop and Lightroom.

If you shoot tethered from your Hasselblad to your Mac or PC, your FFF files are not yet compatible with Adobe Camera Raw, but Adobe and Hasselblad are working to offer this workflow capability in a future ACR upgrade.

This new workflow option marks an important step in Hasselblad-Adobe collaboration.

Says Hasselblad CEO Christian Poulsen: “At Hasselblad, we have spent years refining our cameras to deliver the highest image quality. Having achieved this goal, we are now working to develop more workflow options and to make our image files compatible with other state-of-the-art imaging software products. I trust that the release of ACR 5.4 is only the starting point for further options. We look forward to hearing what our customers will ask for next.”

http://www.hasselblad.dk/news/adobe-camera...-3fr-files.aspx

ACR 5.4 currently supports 3FR files created by the following Hasselblad cameras:

CF-22 and CF-22MS
CF-39 and CF39MS
CFH-22 and CFH-39
CFV
503CWD
H2D-22 and H2D-39
H3D-22, H3D-31, and H3D-39
H3DII-22, H3DII-31, H3DII-39, H3DII-39MS, and H3DII-50.

Yes sounds interesting .
And I have tried it out with the following result .
It does not work as desired .

I did a test shot of a blue sky with clouds . Camera is 905SWC with CFV-16 back .
If I convert the 3FR file using ACR5.4 into a 16-BIT tiff file , open this tiff file in PSCS4 and do  a magnification of 300% or more
I can see a maze pattern all over the image . IMO this should not be .

If I use PHOCUS to convert the 3FR file and do the very same as described above , I do not see this maze pattern .

This problem is forwarded to ADOBE .

Just try it out yourself .
The issue is best seen with wide angle lenses .

Jürgen

Jürgen

Andre R

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 02:13:23 pm »

Quote from: KLaban
Dick, why on earth .dng files?

Maybe to do corrections you can't do in Phocus?

AndreR

jimgolden

• http://
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 02:37:17 pm »

fairly useless if you can't use it tethered IMO - FFF straight into LR would be nice. Phocus works well anyhow -who cares?

jotloob

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 03:06:40 pm »

Keith

You would be a good candidate to do a testing like I described above .
I do believe , the issue is not only seen with V-SYSTEM cameras but also with H-SYSTEM cameras and lenses .
Preferable , before any DAC correction .

Also , I think , it would be good , if Paul Claesson HUSA would have a look to this issue .
HASSELBLAD propagates the ability of ADOBE ACR or LR to convert 3FR files to be an advantage in digital photography .

Get the maze pattern issue solved , and ACR or LR could be a help for quick conversions , but it will not be able to replace PHOCUS .

Jürgen

Jürgen

jotloob

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 05:35:13 pm »

Jürgen

Unfortunately my version of Photoshop doesn't support ACR 5.4.

I have to say I'm really enjoying Phocus 1.2.1.

Best

Keith

Keith

I agree to what you say  about PHOCUS .
Why looking for ACR or LR , when the good stuff is so near . No problems with PHOCUS , as far as I can see .

Jürgen
Jürgen

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 05:48:57 pm »

Quote from: Cfranson
Dick,
Note that the exported DNGs also do not include DAC corrections.
I thought that phocus did DAC on everything it processed... how do I make sure I get the benefit?

I often use the "open in editor" option to get from phocus to photoshop via ACR, but it would be nice to go via lightroom instead... there are things you can do in lightroom and ACR that you cannot do in Phocus.

I had heard that tiff 16 was the best option, and I think my system defaults to it sometime... I thought that using an adobe file format wold be logic to send a file from one adobe program to another, but Adobe recomends TIFF 16 does it not?

I like .dng as it takes up little room on the HD, for files you want to keyword and might use sometime... it would be nice to have a good keywording facility in phocus.

Andre R

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 03:00:58 am »

But again, why on earth .dng?

As I said, I export as 16bit TIF to do the corrections I can't do in Phocus.

Chris Schiller said Jan 9/2009 on this forum:

"To review for those who aren't familiar with it, Phocus offers 4 things that are not presently integrated into Lightroom:
- Lens distortion correction
- Noise Reduction in shadows
- Chromatic abberation correction (tuned for each lens)
- Vignetting correction (tuned for each lens)

A TIFF file generated by Phocus can contain these corrections, but it is a non-RAW file. A DNG file generated by Phocus cannot contain these corrections, but IS a RAW file.

I have read and heard that "DNG files generated by Phocus are lower quality than TIFF files generated by Phocus". I wanted to observe this, and to investigate in what ways Phocus generated DNG files might be worse than TIFF files.

I don't pretend that my testing was exhaustive or is universally conclusive. I'm reporting here to share what I've found, to see what others may have experienced, and to get comments. I don't claim to have an understanding of what is going on behind the curtains of Phocus or Lightroom.

Conditions:
Using Phocus 1.0.1b2 on a PC running Windows XP Pro, I generated four files for comparison:
1) DNG file
2) TIFF file generated with only lens corrections turned on (no other modifications)
3) TIFF file generated with all of the above corrections turned on, but no other modifications.
3) TIFF file generated with all Phocus corrections and modifications turned off

I imported the files into Lightroom 2.2 for comparison. I moved all of the Lightroom controls to neutral so that a direct comparison could be made without modifications applied to either TIFF or DNG. The image I used was a high contrast picture taken in bright sunlight. The scene included deep shadows and blown-out highlights.

Here are my conclusions separated into catagories.

Sharpness/Resolution
The TIFF files looked clearly sharper than the DNG when first imported. The question was whether the TIFF files were higher resolution, or just sharper. I modified the DNG file using the Lightroom sharpening tools, and found that I could sharpen the DNG to look indistinguishable from the TIFF file in terms of acuity. Looking at different parts of the image, shadow, highlight background, foreground, I could discern no difference between the TIFF and the slightly sharpened DNG. Conclusion: the basic "quality" of the images was equal - there was no difference in resolution.

Contrast
The TIFF files were clearly higher contrast than the DNG file, even with all contrast controls in Phocus set to neutral. Conclusion: I see this as a negative for TIFF files, since automatic changes give less flexibility.

Color
None of the files seemed to have exactly "correct" colors, although the TIFF files were much closer to the "real" colors than the DNG. With some modification in Lightroom, the DNG file could of course be corrected and brought closer to the "real" colors. Conclusion: The TIFF files are better as a starting point, but this is just a calibration issue.

Highlights
Highlight recovery in the blown-out highlights using the Lightroom "Recovery" slider was much more effective with the DNG file. The TIFF files also had a bad color cast in the highlights when the highlight recovery was used strongly. Conclusion: The DNG file is much superior for highlight correction.

Shadows
The TIFF files showed lower color noise in the deep shadows than the DNG file. However, the DNG file shadow color noise seemed easily corrected using Lightroom color noise controls.

Chromatic Aberration
The TIFF files were clearly superior for correction of chromatic aberration. Lightroom has chromatic aberration correction capabilities, but correcting the aberration in the DNG file in one part of the image means worsening aberration in another part (I am assuming this is due to lens distortion?). This is typical of working with raw images from Canon digital cameras.

Lens Distortion
Of course the TIFF files are superior for distortion, and there is no lens distortion correction available (yet) in Lightroom.

File Size
The DNG file was 1/2 the size of the TIFF file before modifications.

Conclusions

The TIFF files were superior in these catagories:
-Lens Distortion
-Chromatic Aberration
-Shadow Color Noise (but correctable in DNG)
-Color (but calibratable in DNG)

The DNG files were superior in these catagories:
-Highlight recovery
-Contrast
-File Size

Using DNG files as a default starting point is the best choice for me. There is no discernable difference in basic image quality, and the lower contrast and recoverable highlights have huge advantages for me. The smaller file size is not an overwhelming factor, but it is a factor.

The lens distortion correction would be nice, but it's something every photographer has accepted until now, and the differences shown in the files, at least for the one lens, are not all that significant. The chromatic aberration is more significant, but most of the work I do is in B&W, where the abberation doesn't result in a significant problem. Similarly, the shadow noise and initial color are less important because of my immediate conversion to B&W. For specific images or color images where these corrections might be more important, there is always the choice of starting with a TIFF file.

I look forward to the day when the Hasselblad corrections get incorporated into Lightroom, and then there will be no need for making this choice.

Chris"

Personally I use DNG only when I have to recover highlight.

AndreR
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 03:03:39 am by Andre R »

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 06:04:02 am »

Quote from: Andre R
Chris Schiller said Jan 9/2009 on this forum:

"...Highlights
Highlight recovery in the blown-out highlights using the Lightroom "Recovery" slider was much more effective with the DNG file. The TIFF files also had a bad color cast in the highlights when the highlight recovery was used strongly. Conclusion: The DNG file is much superior for highlight correction.

File Size
The DNG file was 1/2 the size of the TIFF file before modifications.

Chris"

Personally I use DNG only when I have to recover highlight.

AndreR

Thank you AndreR and Chris. I think I will use TIFF as default, and try to avoid blown out highlights. Has the situation changed since January with the latest Phocus?

The theory of keeping raw files is that you always have the option of starting again, but if you keep only .dng files you have lose the option of the sharpest possible picture.

... and what colourspace do you all use for Hasselblad pictures?

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 07:05:26 am »

As a general comment to using DNG...

- Lens corrections are not applied
- The resulting 'out-of-the-box' colour rendition is likely to be less pleasing - especially in trickier colours and skin tones.
- Longer exposures or lower light exposures will have higher noise levels by default.

Best,

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 12:38:55 am »

Quote from: David Grover / Hasselblad

- The resulting 'out-of-the-box' colour rendition is likely to be less pleasing - especially in trickier colours and skin tones.
- Longer exposures or lower light exposures will have higher noise levels by default.

Best,

David

Hi David
In regards to DNG files from other raw files such as NEF or Cr2 do you think this still applies? Just saw a speaker who is converting all his NEF files to DNGs in LR.
Cheers Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 03:22:14 am »

Quote from: mcfoto
Hi David
In regards to DNG files from other raw files such as NEF or Cr2 do you think this still applies? Just saw a speaker who is converting all his NEF files to DNGs in LR.
Cheers Denis

I guess it depends on the strength of the Vendors proprietary software?

Currently we can do a better out of the box job than Aperture or Lightroom.  Also a huge difference between lets say Phocus and Lightroom is the ability to shoot tethered, with instant preview and also camera control.

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 07:19:53 am »

Quote from: David Grover / Hasselblad

Best,

David
Hi, David.

You colleague Paul Waterworth tells me that this (The inability to export corrected raw files from phocus, for use in PS as smart objects, HDR etc.) is a problem Hasselblad are aware of, and are working on... can you confirm?
Pages: [1]   Go Up