Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange colors in Web gallery  (Read 2704 times)

Greg D

Strange colors in Web gallery
« on: August 13, 2009, 10:18:23 am »

Dilemma:
I opened a collection of photos is the Web module in Lightroom 2.4.  All looked fine (or I should say, looked as I expected!).  I then chose to "Export as a web gallery".  Upon then viewing them in the browser (on the same computer & monitor), the resulting pics look as if the blacks slider and saturation slider had been bumped up 10 points or so - quite dark and bordering on preposterously vivid.  What's up with this?

Thanks,
Greg

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 10:23:08 am »

Quote from: grog13
What's up with this?
Is it a wide-gamut monitor and is the browser color-managed or no?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 01:33:53 pm »

I've also experienced a somewhat similar issue with creating LR Web Galleries from raw images referenced in Collections - I'm finding they reproduce somewhat warmer and darker than the images warrant, but it isn't the kind of train-smash you are describing. Now, as a workaround I export these images to Photoshop and use my own set of conversions for turning these images into web material (basically re-sizing, convert to profile sRGB with BPC, then convert to 8-bit mode and save as JPEG) , then re-import them to LR as JPEGs and then let LR create a web gallery from those. I'm finding that version comes out better. Try this with your problem gallery and let us know whether it changes the outcome. The fact that different processing approaches lead to different outcomes (in my case) suggests that it may not be a browser colour-management issue, and one would assume Adobe knows much of the world views these galleries through Internet Exploder so they program the algorithm to deal with that, but I still wouldn't rule out browser colour management as part of the problem.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Greg D

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 09:11:57 am »

Quote from: MarkDS
I've also experienced a somewhat similar issue with creating LR Web Galleries from raw images referenced in Collections - I'm finding they reproduce somewhat warmer and darker than the images warrant, but it isn't the kind of train-smash you are describing. Now, as a workaround I export these images to Photoshop and use my own set of conversions for turning these images into web material (basically re-sizing, convert to profile sRGB with BPC, then convert to 8-bit mode and save as JPEG) , then re-import them to LR as JPEGs and then let LR create a web gallery from those. I'm finding that version comes out better. Try this with your problem gallery and let us know whether it changes the outcome. The fact that different processing approaches lead to different outcomes (in my case) suggests that it may not be a browser colour-management issue, and one would assume Adobe knows much of the world views these galleries through Internet Exploder so they program the algorithm to deal with that, but I still wouldn't rule out browser colour management as part of the problem.

Hmmmm....  This problem just began with a new computer, with IE as the default browser (had Mozilla Firefox as the default browser on the old one, and things looked fine).  I assume that Lightroom converts pics to sRGB for web galleries, correct?

Greg D

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 09:14:02 am »

Quote from: Jeremy Payne
Is it a wide-gamut monitor and is the browser color-managed or no?

Not a wide gamut I'd say (95% of sRGB and 91% of Adobe RGB according to Prad.de tests).  Don't know if browser is color-managed (Internet Explorer latest version).

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 09:33:36 am »

I am almost certain (underline almost) that Internet Exploder is not yet colour-managed.

What you say about the Prad.de tests is puzzling - I would have thought that 100% sRGB is less than 91% of ARGB(98), so if Lightroom images were converted for web at less than 100% sRGB (I wonder whether that's true - why not 100% sRGB?), then they should be yet less than 91% of ARGB(98).

In any case, I doubt that gamut compression would be the culprit here. I think somethng else must be going on; the same gallery needs to be tested in Firefox and in IE to rule the browser in or out as a contributing factor.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 11:04:28 am »

Quote from: MarkDS
I am almost certain (underline almost) that Internet Exploder is not yet colour-managed.

What you say about the Prad.de tests is puzzling - I would have thought that 100% sRGB is less than 91% of ARGB(98), so if Lightroom images were converted for web at less than 100% sRGB (I wonder whether that's true - why not 100% sRGB?), then they should be yet less than 91% of ARGB(98).

In any case, I doubt that gamut compression would be the culprit here. I think somethng else must be going on; the same gallery needs to be tested in Firefox and in IE to rule the browser in or out as a contributing factor.
IE is not color managed ... but Firefox 3.X  is ... might be worth a shot ...

I find my web galleries from LR are a perfect match in Firefox for me.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 11:06:24 am by Jeremy Payne »
Pages: [1]   Go Up