Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya 645AFD or Pentax 645N  (Read 12100 times)

rashdown

Mamiya 645AFD or Pentax 645N
« on: August 13, 2009, 08:24:47 am »

Hello all.

This has probably been sorted out many moons ago, but I'm trying to decide between 2 645 cameras.

I've heard great things about both and was on teh verge of settling for the Pentax, when a local friendly (indy) camera repair shop suggested I look away from teh Pentax as it's "hard for parts and tricky to repair.  Go for the Mamiya".

That threw me. But before I spend the money on a used piece of equipment, I'd very much like to hear other opinions.  This will be a long term investment for non-pro enthusiastic phorography of friends, family (hopefully my own soon!) and landscapes.  What's wrng with a 35mm K7, I hear you ask.  Nothing.  But I fancy playing around with film and getting the quality output of a MF (yes, I know it's not just the hardware that makes a good pic!!!  ;)  ).

Would anyone care to offer some advice?

Thanks in advance.

Roland

Jack Varney

• http://
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 12:04:19 pm »

Check out the breadth of optional lenses, viewing aids, backs, etc, etc, etc for both systems. Check out the availability of used items from the B&H, KEH and ebays of the world. Consider the future development of the cameras and accessories.

I can't imagine the Pentax 645 can win this comparison, fine as it is.
Jack Varney

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 01:17:29 pm »

Quote from: rashdown
Hello all.

This has probably been sorted out many moons ago, but I'm trying to decide between 2 645 cameras.

I've heard great things about both and was on teh verge of settling for the Pentax, when a local friendly (indy) camera repair shop suggested I look away from teh Pentax as it's "hard for parts and tricky to repair.  Go for the Mamiya".

That threw me. But before I spend the money on a used piece of equipment, I'd very much like to hear other opinions.  This will be a long term investment for non-pro enthusiastic phorography of friends, family (hopefully my own soon!) and landscapes.  What's wrng with a 35mm K7, I hear you ask.  Nothing.  But I fancy playing around with film and getting the quality output of a MF (yes, I know it's not just the hardware that makes a good pic!!!  ;)  ).

Thanks in advance.

Roland

Absolutely positively go with the Mamiya. It's a 'system' camera that can mesh with a very large system of lenses & accessories, and in particular with both film and digital backs. This latter point is the key. As nice as Pentax lenses are, the Pentax 645 system has never used a film back; rather, it used loadable film "inserts". This design choice makes it basically impossible to integrate the Pentax 645 with a digital back, hence there is no upgrade path at all.

Pentax has been promising to produce a digital 645 for at least 5 years now. Specifications keep changing, and the project remains vaporware. Meanwhile Mamiya is part of an increasingly open system with access to digital backs from several vendors. They're currently obscenely expensive, of course, but prices keep dropping.

This decision is a no-brainer for that reason alone.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 03:01:58 pm »

Hi,

Phase One is now in control of Mamiya, probably a good thing.

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: Geoff Wittig
Absolutely positively go with the Mamiya. It's a 'system' camera that can mesh with a very large system of lenses & accessories, and in particular with both film and digital backs. This latter point is the key. As nice as Pentax lenses are, the Pentax 645 system has never used a film back; rather, it used loadable film "inserts". This design choice makes it basically impossible to integrate the Pentax 645 with a digital back, hence there is no upgrade path at all.

Pentax has been promising to produce a digital 645 for at least 5 years now. Specifications keep changing, and the project remains vaporware. Meanwhile Mamiya is part of an increasingly open system with access to digital backs from several vendors. They're currently obscenely expensive, of course, but prices keep dropping.

This decision is a no-brainer for that reason alone.
Erik Kaffehr

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 09:05:41 pm »

Quote from: rashdown
Hello all.

Thanks in advance.

Roland

Hi Roland,

Most people in this forum tend to shoot digital and argument for digital. You may wish to check out this site www.apug.org for advise from people who shoot film.

I shoot both and use Mamiya 645 III for digital back and Mamiya 7 for film in MF. You may wish to check prices on also lenses at www.keh.com and www.ebay.com. The Pentax per what I recall has some very good lenses. In particular for wide the Pentax 35mm is known to be superior to the Mamiya 35mm, and Pentax also has the 33-55mm which is said to be sharp and is light weight.

There is an abundance of used quality film gear to buy as bargains. Since you will use for film only, then perhaps it is better to buy what is not also used for digital backs, since the prices of such gear is also likely to drop on used market. Thus, perhaps consider to replace the camera if you get problems with it? Did you consider the Mamiya Pro TL? The lenses for that one also works on the AFD. There is also the Mamiya AF, but you need to do some search on how people have experienced these.

I hope above helps. Good luck!

Regards
Anders

Rick_Allen

• http://www.rapdigital.net
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 05:44:56 am »

What about the Contax 645AF?
Rick Allen
[url=http://www.rapdigital.ne
Pages: [1]   Go Up