Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grand Canyon River Raft Trip  (Read 4198 times)

Gordon Buck

• LightDescription
Grand Canyon River Raft Trip
« on: July 27, 2005, 09:46:23 pm »

I haven't been rafting in the Grand Canyon but did a hike just last year.  My camera was the Canon G3.  I think you can do well with the S70.  I'd definitely recommend a polarizing filter and I also recommend a graduated neutral density filter.  (Having recommended the graduated neutral density filter, I know that others will say to shoot in RAW mode and it isn't necessary but it is very easy to overexpose the skyline. Next time, I'll have one.)

I'd also recommend a wide angle adapter (I know about stitching).  Be sure to try stitching as well.

After completing my hike, I suddenly remembered that I could have shot a few video clips but I didn't think about video at the time.

Be sure to bring a tripod - even if it's one of those tiny tabletop models.
Gordon
 [url=http://lightdescription.blog

CJD

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 04:55:03 am »

I did a trip down Cataract Canyon in Utah last year.  Bought a big Peli case and just took all the DSLR kit with me.  Just go for it, you'll end up regretting not having it all with you.

(But get insured!).

Recently went a 7 day sea kayaking trip in Queensland - had resticted space so just took the Canon and two lenses (no room for tripod).  This time used a Ortlieb (soft case) waterproof camera bag (inside another Ortieb waterprrof duffle bag when stowed in the kayak).  Again would have kicked myself if I'd left al the stuff at home.

fdw

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 09:50:07 am »

Thanks for your help. This is a 6 day trip down the Colorado so water and sand is a serious consideration. Did consider the Pelican case as well as the waterproof case for the S70. May still get the 70 case. Problem is I have a 25 lb weight restriction from Las Vegas to Marble Canyon. Hmmm!!

fdw

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 12:17:41 pm »

I read with interest Michael's trip down the Grand Canyon and the equipment he used. I can't bring myself to take my Canon 20D and expensive lenses. I intend to take my Canon S70 for general landscape, wildlife and various photos. Given these conditions would it be advisable to equip my camera with a polarizer and a uv filter. I have the lens adapter for this camera.

fdw

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 09:46:11 am »

Thanks for your help. will do as you suggest.

CJD

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 05:30:04 am »

Forgot to add:

As well as the DSLR, I also have the Canon S70 (great little camera).

For the Queensland trip, I also bought the canon waterproof housing (WP-DC40), so that I could use the S70 out on the water.  We also learnt to scuba dive, so it went doen to 20m as well with no problem (Boy, underwater photography is a whole other game).  I found the video function to be really cool underwater.

So the WP-DC40 could mean that you get some rafting action shots as well.

Have a good trip

Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up