Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop CS and Memory  (Read 1379 times)

petercook80

Photoshop CS and Memory
« on: August 12, 2009, 09:11:06 am »

Hi, I use Photoshop CS and have come across somewhat strange behaviour with Memory.
I recently got a new (to me) PC and added more RAm to make 1.5gb in total. My old PC only had 512mb and I was running the 'adjusted refresh' plugin which adobe say helps with memory use on low memory PC's.
As I now had 1.5gb I did not load the 'adjusted refresh' plugin and the following happens.
When I open an image (approx 21mb psd file size) photoshop reports its size as about 700mb (in the doc size), and if I do a few adjustments its of over 1gb and into scratch disk use, this cant be right can it ?

I have now put the 'adjusted refresh' plugin back on and it’s back to what I call normal behaviour with memory.

Can anyone enlighten me on this?

jjlphoto

Photoshop CS and Memory
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 10:07:28 am »

In addition to the RAM demands of your file, CS and your computer's OS need RAM. What you have reported regarding doc size and scratch use seems about right.

You are really RAM starved. On my trusty G4 Powerbook, I run CS with 2GB RAM (that machines max). If you are on a tower, the more, the merrier.
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

petercook80

Photoshop CS and Memory
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 11:24:44 am »

Quote from: jjlphoto
In addition to the RAM demands of your file, CS and your computer's OS need RAM. What you have reported regarding doc size and scratch use seems about right.

You are really RAM starved. On my trusty G4 Powerbook, I run CS with 2GB RAM (that machines max). If you are on a tower, the more, the merrier.
I thought CS could only see up to 2gb and no more? But with the Adjusted Refresh Plugin installed it copes with the 1gb assigned top it OK, I was just amazed buy how much it grabs without it, but if thats normal then OK.
Pages: [1]   Go Up