Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson Exhibition Fiber paper in rolls  (Read 4461 times)

gcs

• http://www.tacomal.com
Epson Exhibition Fiber paper in rolls
« on: August 11, 2009, 10:01:01 pm »

In an other post, some one mentioned that in the UK EEF was available in rolls, and it was marketed under the name of Traditional Photo paper.

I have checked the paper specs for the UK version vs the US.

UK is 300 gsm and US 325 gsm, besides the UK in A sizes and US in inches. Never the less I see that the rolls in UK have width in inches. Rolls came out in February for the UK, so I guess soon it will be available in the US, as well as in South America, which goes along with the US.

Does anyone have information why does the US version have a different thickness? and if it will be offered also in rolls?

Gonzalo
Gonzalo Contreras del Solar
Photography of Water
http://www.tacomal.com

Farmer

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 04:11:38 am »

Quote from: gcs
In an other post, some one mentioned that in the UK EEF was available in rolls, and it was marketed under the name of Traditional Photo paper.

I have checked the paper specs for the UK version vs the US.

UK is 300 gsm and US 325 gsm, besides the UK in A sizes and US in inches. Never the less I see that the rolls in UK have width in inches. Rolls came out in February for the UK, so I guess soon it will be available in the US, as well as in South America, which goes along with the US.

Does anyone have information why does the US version have a different thickness? and if it will be offered also in rolls?

Gonzalo

Epson Australia offers Traditional Photo in both sheet and rolls, and the rolls are lighter in gsm than the sheet - so it's not so much a difference between the UK and the US as between sheet and roll.  It's to do with the feeding of the paper from a roll source - the heavier media wasn't considered suitable so a slightly lower gsm has improved the performance from a feeding point of view, but it's the same coating.
Phil Brown

gcs

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 06:40:07 am »

Quote from: Farmer
Epson Australia offers Traditional Photo in both sheet and rolls, and the rolls are lighter in gsm than the sheet - so it's not so much a difference between the UK and the US as between sheet and roll.  It's to do with the feeding of the paper from a roll source - the heavier media wasn't considered suitable so a slightly lower gsm has improved the performance from a feeding point of view, but it's the same coating.

Thank you, hope we have the roll version in this side of the world soon.

GCS
Photography of Water

jjlphoto

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 10:15:00 am »

Epson does not make paper, they contract to paper converters that supply the paper under the Epson name. Much of what paper gets sold where and to whom, has to do with lots of complicated regulations like the distribution chain and locale of the paper converter, local patents and patents abroad, trade restrictions, etc,. etc.
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

Marlyn

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 07:28:58 pm »

I'm just happy its finally available in rolls,   I doubt the slightly reduced weight of the roll version will have any noticeble impact.

Have several rolls on order, due next week.  Can't wait to print out a couple of Pano's on it that have been waiting for the roll version.  (20"x60"s).
Will post some results when it shows up.

Regards

Mark.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 07:29:21 pm by Marlyn »

Linne

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 11:29:07 pm »

Moab Colorado Gloss is available in rolls, and other than weight, is identical to Exhibition Fiber.

NashvilleMike

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 12:05:55 am »

Quote from: Linne
Moab Colorado Gloss is available in rolls, and other than weight, is identical to Exhibition Fiber.

I haven't heard that, and given my recent experience evaluating the Moab Colorado papers (gloss and satine), I'd have to respectfully disagree. The Colorado papers have a nice surface and it prints pretty well, but the substrate is an absolute joke. I've evaluated about a dozen various papers now for my Epson 3800 and the Colorado papers are, without any question, the most susceptible to damage and crinkling. I was frankly shocked at how easy those papers were damaged. Nice surface, junk substrate. Shame - I would have considered it as a "second tier/alternative" paper if it didn't have those problems.

-m

gcs

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 03:44:13 pm »

Quote from: NashvilleMike
I haven't heard that, and given my recent experience evaluating the Moab Colorado papers (gloss and satine), I'd have to respectfully disagree. The Colorado papers have a nice surface and it prints pretty well, but the substrate is an absolute joke. I've evaluated about a dozen various papers now for my Epson 3800 and the Colorado papers are, without any question, the most susceptible to damage and crinkling. I was frankly shocked at how easy those papers were damaged. Nice surface, junk substrate. Shame - I would have considered it as a "second tier/alternative" paper if it didn't have those problems.

-m

I have also tested Moab Colorado on gloss, although they looked good, they are not comparable to EEF or GFS.

Gonzalo
Photography of Water
Pages: [1]   Go Up