Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ADVICE ON WHICH PHOTOSHOP CS4 TO BUY  (Read 3710 times)

creativepro

ADVICE ON WHICH PHOTOSHOP CS4 TO BUY
« on: August 11, 2009, 12:24:37 am »

ADVICE WHICH PHOTOSHOP CS4 NOT BE ABLE TO BE INTEGRATED WITH LIGHTROOM 2
Sue BLOCK , Aug 11, 2009; 12:01 a.m.

Hullo

I have a Mac OSX 10.5.8
Lightroom 2

I have an opportunity to purchase the Educational version of Photoshop CS4 or the Standard version of Photoshop CS4

I am wishing to use Photoshop within the Photography realm only

Can either of these versions be fully integrated with Lightroom 2 ?    i.e plug-ins, droplets etc. etc.

What would be the disadvantage of not purchasing Photoshop CS4 extended?

thank you

Susie

Steph1

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 05:05:15 pm »

The educational version and the standard version are exactly the same, except for the price.
CS4 Extended has some additional cpabilities to CS4 standard, but none of them are of use to a photgraphic workflow, AFAIK

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 05:26:57 pm »

Here's a matrix of the differences (and yes, I agree with Steph1 that there's nothing really useful in the Extended for what you say you'll be doing):

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/compare/
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

creativepro

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 06:10:40 pm »

Thank you all for your responses

regards

Sue

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 11:32:46 pm »

Quote from: creativepro
Can either of these versions be fully integrated with Lightroom 2 ?    i.e plug-ins, droplets etc. etc.

Guess I'm confused by this statement and what your expectations are.  The two programs really don't "integrate".  For example, your Photoshop plugins are not available in Lightroom.

Certainly they work hand in hand and can be integrated into a good workflow, but from your statement you seem to implying something more than that.

creativepro

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 02:20:50 am »

Hi Wayne

Documentation on Lightroom -Photoshop workflow talk about intergration in their terminology

I guess the theory is that droplets can be created in Lightroom using Photoshops actions etc. and one can Edit in Lightroom move to Photoshop ( smart folder)for Photoshop editing.  Can also use software like Nik software in Photoshop and then saved to be retuned to Lightroom for further editing etc.

regards

sue

sniper

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 05:24:25 pm »

As far as I'm aware you can't use PS action from within LR.  You can certainly open images in PS from LR, make any of your usual ajustments and save back to LR for further editing.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 05:36:52 pm »

Quote from: sniper
As far as I'm aware you can't use PS action from within LR.

Actually you can indeed use a Photoshop droplet (a saved action batch) from within Lightroom's Export>Post Processing>After Export command...there's also a lot of tighter Photoshop CS 4/Lightroom 2.x integration via Bridge Talk (the scripting language CS4/LR 2 uses) to do things such as Photomerge, Merge to HDR, Open as Layers (one of my favs) as well as open as Smart Objects. The integration between CS4 and LR 2.x is much tighter than CS3.

sniper

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 09:14:02 am »

Quote from: Schewe
Actually you can indeed use a Photoshop droplet (a saved action batch) from within Lightroom's Export>Post Processing>After Export command...there's also a lot of tighter Photoshop CS 4/Lightroom 2.x integration via Bridge Talk (the scripting language CS4/LR 2 uses) to do things such as Photomerge, Merge to HDR, Open as Layers (one of my favs) as well as open as Smart Objects. The integration between CS4 and LR 2.x is much tighter than CS3.
I would argue thats not actually using an action in lightroom, your simply telling PS to do it on export.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 12:44:11 pm »

You said: "As far as I'm aware you can't use PS action from within LR."

I just proved that you can...of course you have to create the action and save the droplet before Lightroom can see and use it. But it's clearly using an action from within Lightroom.
Pages: [1]   Go Up