Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Black and White printing from Ink Jet printers  (Read 3962 times)

spbimages

• SPBIMAGES
Black and White printing from Ink Jet printers
« on: August 11, 2009, 12:08:25 am »

Just asking what papers you are using for black and white printing from ink jet printers. This is an overall question so you can answer for glossy, semi-glossy, fine art, etc.

Thanks,
Steve

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 12:16:15 am »

For deep blacks and/or glossy prints, I use Harman FB Al.  The baryta coating almost makes you think it was made in the darkroom.  Otherwise, I really like Hahnemuhle's papers for a matte finish, particularly PhotoRag 308 gsm and Bamboo.  I'm also looking forward to trying their Sugar Cane paper.  Other papers I like are Epson's Exhibition Fiber, and Moab's mulberry-based paper made in Japan.  The tactile quality of some of the matte papers on the market is quite amazing.

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 12:20:02 am »

For semi-gloss I like Hahnemuhle's Photo Rag Baryta. For matte finish I've used Hahnemuhle Photo Rag in the past, but right now I'm using Crane Museo Max.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

fjmcsu

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 08:04:12 pm »

Timely since i have just been profiling for B & W printing on a 7900. I have found nice prints from Ilford Galerie Gold Fiber Silk paper(can't bet the price) but have also tried & currently profiling Hahn Fine Art Baryta & Epson Exhibition Fine Art all with PK inks. For MK inks Hahn Pho Rag & Crane Museo Pho Rag have been good.As stated deepest blacks no contest with PK inks & papers noted c/w MK inks & matte papers.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 08:33:01 pm »

Another vote in favour of Ilford Gold silk and Hahnemuhle Photorag batyta, those deep blacks are really wonderful.

As far as Matte goes, I also like Photorag 308, but the prints look dull compared to what can be achieved with the Baryta paper. It all really depends on the kind of images you are looking after.

Soft looking images are great on Photorag.

Cheers,
Bernard

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 08:42:35 pm »

I love Harman FB Al, but it is a difficult paper to deal with due to easy denting, easy scratching and the larger sizes need to be dry mounted. Presently happy with Ilford Gold Fibre Silk but am itching to try Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta.

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 08:58:44 pm »

Quote from: spbimages
Just asking what papers you are using for black and white printing from ink jet printers. This is an overall question so you can answer for glossy, semi-glossy, fine art, etc.

Thanks,
Steve

1) Hahnemüle photo rag baryta for photo black ink. Great blacks, a very bright white for a rag paper without OBA's, and a surface I find much more unobtrusive and agreeable than Harman's mirror-like finish.

2) HP's professional satin. Great black with HP's vivera inks, and the gentlest, 'quietest' surface I've ever found for photo black ink. Plastic feel, though.

3) Hahnemüle photo rag satin. The d-max is mediocre, but shadow and 3/4 tones especially take on a subtle metallic sheen that exaggerates tonal separation. Hard to describe, but it's a perfect look for some images.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 11:10:38 pm »

Quote from: jasonrandolph
For deep blacks and/or glossy prints, I use Harman FB Al.  The baryta coating almost makes you think it was made in the darkroom.  Otherwise, I really like Hahnemuhle's papers for a matte finish, particularly PhotoRag 308 gsm and Bamboo.  I'm also looking forward to trying their Sugar Cane paper.  Other papers I like are Epson's Exhibition Fiber, and Moab's mulberry-based paper made in Japan.  The tactile quality of some of the matte papers on the market is quite amazing.
Jason-
Which Moab papers have you tried?  I'm assuming the Kozo and Bizan from the Moenkapi line.  If you are using it, do they make the Bizan in rolls, or only sell sheets?  Can you give a description of the texture and printing qualities of these papers?  I think you will like the Bamboo if you are a fan of PhotoRag.  Just more texture and a more natural base color, but it prints quite similar.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 12:14:40 pm »

Quote from: Colorwave
Jason-
Which Moab papers have you tried?  I'm assuming the Kozo and Bizan from the Moenkapi line.  If you are using it, do they make the Bizan in rolls, or only sell sheets?  Can you give a description of the texture and printing qualities of these papers?  I think you will like the Bamboo if you are a fan of PhotoRag.  Just more texture and a more natural base color, but it prints quite similar.

I'm at work right now, and I can't remember which is which, but one of the papers is semi-transparent, almost like vellum, and the other has very strong texture.  It almost reminds me of the homemade paper you sometimes see in craft stores.  I only purchased the sampler packs for each, and from my understanding, it isn't available in rolls.  And it's not cheap!

As for the Bamboo, it is already one of my favorite papers.  I like the slightly warm tone.  I haven't ordered any Sugar Cane paper yet, but I plan to in the near future.  It's been getting good reviews.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 01:28:57 pm »

Oops, Jason, meant so say Sugar Cane instead of Bamboo.  Just more texture from the Sugar Cane.  Both print quite nicely.  For the Moab papers, the Kozo is the thin stuff, and does seem to come in rolls.  The Bizan is the stuff that says it was "dried under the rising sun", and I guess that precludes it coming in a roll form.  Must also give the makers their afternoons off, too.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Paul Roark

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 01:24:34 am »

Quote from: spbimages

Thanks,
Steve

I print with MIS Associates Eboni-6 100% carbon pigment inkset (see http://www.paulroark.com/BW-Info/Eboni-6.pdf) in an old 7500.  For neutral-cool prints I use Premier Art Smooth BW.  Today I was printing a mission type shot on Arches Hot Press (uncoated) watercolor paper.  If I want a smoother, coated, medium warm print I use Premier Art Smooth (no OBAs), and for a warmer coated paper with just a bit of texture I like Innova Soft texture.  (I use glossy paper only for my brochures.)

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

sojournerphoto

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 08:33:12 am »

HP Z3100

'Gloss'

Ilford Gold Fibre Silk
Hahnemuhle PhotoRag Baryta

PhotoRag Pearl sometimes

I don't really like the Harman.

Matt

PhotoRag Bright White
Various textured papers for larger prints
PhotoRag Satin

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 11:58:51 am »

My favorite, by a long shot, is still Museo Silver Rag. It was the first, and to me, still one of the best of the fiber-based "glossy-dried-matte" inkjet papers. I've tried probably half a dozen different brands, and to me, the Museo is still the most realistic interpretation of the "wet darkroom" look. To me, the Harman glossy had an almost plastic look to it, though I love the ultra smooth matte they produce. One of the best of the Rag papers I've used is another Museo -- Portfolio Rag. Very dense black. All these comments, BTW, are based on printing using my Canon iPF6100. I always struggled with good B&W on my older Epson 4000. If it weren't for my need to occasionally print on smaller than 8.5x11, I'd probably try converting it to Jon Cone's Piezography inks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up