Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spectraview II question  (Read 2639 times)

Gellman

• http://www.jgphoto.com
Spectraview II question
« on: August 10, 2009, 03:05:41 pm »

I think that one of the best features of SpectraView II used with a NEC 2690WUXi2 monitor and the NEC puck is the ability to create multiple profiles and switch between them on the fly. I have tweaked my system so my monitor matches output on my printer. That was the easy part because I can control everything from start to finish. I have labeled that profile as "inkjet printing".

However, not everything I do is for my own printing. The other two typical scenarios are producing JPGs for web display, and producing high rez larger size JPGs for print publication. I use an sRGB emulation profile when working with JPGs. I set White Point to D65, Gamma to 2.20, and Contrast Ratio to monitor default. What is the best setting for Intensity? SpectraView defaults to 140 cd/m2. That seems purdy bright to me. Would it be better to use a lower Intensity level for sRGB JPGs for web display? What about for print publication? My client, a rock band, makes these available for download on their web site, typically for newspapers or venues that produce their own posters. It's pretty much one size fits all for the print publications. It seems logical to me to set a higher intensity for web display than for print publication, but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to share their knowledge. BTW, my OS is Mac 10.5.7.

John

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Spectraview II question
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 06:50:52 pm »

There's no magic number you can use for JPEG viewing on the web. And most browsers are not color managed anyway. 140cd/m2 is about as good a guess as any. Keep in mind that the so called "sRGB" spec is based on a theoretical CRT display which can't hit that, assuming you feel there's a reason to try for that spec in the first place.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

nik

• Nick Vasilopoulos Photography
Spectraview II question
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 10:20:12 pm »

I recently dropped the intensity to 120cd/m. I preview Web JPGs in Photoshop CS4 (OSX 10.5.7) with the 'Monitor' profile and then check the web images on a the NEC and a 'basic' monitor via Mac and Windows PC's. Images are tagged with a sRGB profile.

I've also only use Firefox 3.5 (ICC v2 aware) and Safari 4 (v4 aware) to view my images and have enabled CMM on my flash website. So far so good, except PowerPC macs. There seems to be a bug in Flash 10.0.2 (for that platform) which really whacks out CMM enabled flash content. but overall I'm happy with how my images look on the Web. This monitor has made a remarkable difference to my color work.

-N

Quote from: ncjohnboy
I think that one of the best features of SpectraView II used with a NEC 2690WUXi2 monitor and the NEC puck is the ability to create multiple profiles and switch between them on the fly. I have tweaked my system so my monitor matches output on my printer. That was the easy part because I can control everything from start to finish. I have labeled that profile as "inkjet printing".

However, not everything I do is for my own printing. The other two typical scenarios are producing JPGs for web display, and producing high rez larger size JPGs for print publication. I use an sRGB emulation profile when working with JPGs. I set White Point to D65, Gamma to 2.20, and Contrast Ratio to monitor default. What is the best setting for Intensity? SpectraView defaults to 140 cd/m2. That seems purdy bright to me. Would it be better to use a lower Intensity level for sRGB JPGs for web display? What about for print publication? My client, a rock band, makes these available for download on their web site, typically for newspapers or venues that produce their own posters. It's pretty much one size fits all for the print publications. It seems logical to me to set a higher intensity for web display than for print publication, but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to share their knowledge. BTW, my OS is Mac 10.5.7.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up