Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Macbook Air tethering  (Read 5578 times)

Alex MacPherson

• http://alexmacpherson.com
Macbook Air tethering
« on: August 09, 2009, 09:10:30 pm »

I am doing some travel soon and would like to get the very lightest laptop that I could shoot
tethered to. I know that the Macbook Air has no firewire. Is there a way of getting around
that by using a firewire to USB hub?

I guess the other alternative would be to get the new Macbook pro 13

Thoughts and experiences?
Alex MacPherson

Visit My Website

mmurph

• http://
Macbook Air tethering
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 12:58:34 am »

Quote from: Dolce Moda Photography
I am doing some travel soon and would like to get the very lightest laptop that I could shoot
tethered to.

Netbook?

There are a couple of threads on that here. I bought an Acer 8.9" a month or two ago, but haven't tried it tethered yet.  Opening a new studio in Sept, off work until them.

A lot of questions for you to sort through, so until then, just an idea. Instead of a big-bucks laptop, though, (as in another current thread here) I am gping to buy a decent Intel i7 desktop for around $600 (w/o a monitor) for most of my editing. Then stuff in 4 drives, a bunch of RAM, etc. etc.

I always hated working on a laptop anyway for editing. Much cheaper to buy and keep a desktop up to spec at 2 steps down from bleeding edge (slowest version of i7 instead of 2 more pricier versions; 1/2 of total DDR3 RAM capacity; etc.)

Michael

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Macbook Air tethering
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 02:27:33 am »

tethered to. I know that the Macbook Air has no firewire. Is there a way of getting around
that by using a firewire to USB hub?

I guess the other alternative would be to get the new Macbook pro 13

Thoughts and experiences?

Just  bought a 13" macbook pro.  Plan on using it when traveling with camera gear, keeping the 17" for regular use when not traveling

It's no netbook, but so far I've really enjoyed it.  Very light, battery life is terrific, solid construction like the other MacBooks.  I assume it will tether just fine and will use it for studio work.  I haven't decided whether to try tethering it for field work with my PhaseOne and P65+.

I researched your question some time ago, and while you can convert from Firewire to USB, I couldn't find any way to go the other direction.

Alex MacPherson

• http://alexmacpherson.com
Macbook Air tethering
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 02:47:06 am »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
I researched your question some time ago, and while you can convert from Firewire to USB, I couldn't find any way to go the other direction.

I would want to take firewire from the back and convert it to USB to the Macbook Air
Alex MacPherson

Visit My Website

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
Macbook Air tethering
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 05:23:23 am »

I would want to take firewire from the back and convert it to USB to the Macbook Air

You can use an external portable (powered) HD that has got USB and FW ports and daisy chain it to the laptop. I believe it'll have to be powered (mains or battery) to provide enough juice for the FW communication.

I've done it successfully (on a Macbook Pro) with a LaCie Orange Rugged HDD and a Leaf Aptus back

Hope this helps

Yair
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 07:34:26 am by yaya »
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Cfranson

Macbook Air tethering
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 08:07:18 am »

Quote from: yaya
I've done it successfully (on a Macbook Pro) with a LaCie Orange Rugged HDD and a Leaf Aptus back

Yair
Yair, you've connected the disk to the computer by USB and then tethered an Aptus to the disk and been able to work tethered? That shouldn't work at all.
-Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up