Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Two Displays  (Read 10674 times)

tho_mas

Two Displays
« on: August 09, 2009, 04:34:00 pm »

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/two-displays.shtml

This is a strange article and I honstly don't understand what it is about.
An Eizo CG is better than an Apple Cinema Display. Well, yes...
Don't want to be nitpicking and let the rest pass without comment but I am interessted in a source for this quote: "The recommended brightness for photography is 80 cd/m2".
IMO this is pretty much dated. If any today the recommendation is 120cd/m2 (or 160cd/m2). But more serious recommendations always refer to the viewing conditions as the right brightness is the one that matches paper white (both brightness and white point) under the viewing (or "ambient") conditions you are working in.
In a black room only with a battery charger as "ambient" light a display at 80cd/m2 might be to bright. If you set up the display on a glacier and compare the softproof to the respective print... you won't see anything on the display and you will feel that the pirnt is too bright (or the other way around: that the display is too dark, what is definitely true under these conditions).
As to the "too dark prints" I claim it's mostly not the too high brightness but the too high contrast of the displays.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 04:46:42 pm by tho_mas »

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
Two Displays
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 06:22:48 pm »

Quote from: tho_mas
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/two-displays.shtml

This is a strange article and I honstly don't understand what it is about.
An Eizo CG is better than an Apple Cinema Display. Well, yes...
Don't want to be nitpicking and let the rest pass without comment but I am interessted in a source for this quote: "The recommended brightness for photography is 80 cd/m2".
IMO this is pretty much dated. If any today the recommendation is 120cd/m2 (or 160cd/m2). But more serious recommendations always refer to the viewing conditions as the right brightness is the one that matches paper white (both brightness and white point) under the viewing (or "ambient") conditions you are working in.
In a black room only with a battery charger as "ambient" light a display at 80cd/m2 might be to bright. If you set up the display on a glacier and compare the softproof to the respective print... you won't see anything on the display and you will feel that the pirnt is too bright (or the other way around: that the display is too dark, what is definitely true under these conditions).
As to the "too dark prints" I claim it's mostly not the too high brightness but the too high contrast of the displays.

I would more go towardes the middle. No question if you set your display to 160 in normal photographic conditions you will be blind and you prints will look very dark. I think right now the best is around 100cd/m2. However it certainly depends on the room itself.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

tho_mas

Two Displays
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 06:30:43 pm »

Quote from: Christopher
I would more go towardes the middle. No question if you set your display to 160 in normal photographic conditions you will be blind and you prints will look very dark. I think right now the best is around 100cd/m2. However it certainly depends on the room itself.
the 160cd/m2 translates to the standard brightness of a D50 viewing box (500 lx)... of course just as a reference point.
There is no "middle" - there is your room, your working conditions, and you have to take care that they stay constant.
If you are working under standardarized conditions you have to match the specs of the respective ISO. But even than you will fine tune your devices.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 06:42:24 pm by tho_mas »

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
Two Displays
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 06:38:27 pm »

I think 80cdm^2 was a recommendation for CRT's, because many of them couldn't go much brighter than that anyways, especially if you didn't want to worry about blooming, etc.

For LCD's I don't agree with 80cdm^2 but I also don't agree with 120 or 160, unless maybe you're in an office with lots of very bright overhead lighting. 100cdm^2 works far better for me and would be a better recommendation for most home environments IMHO, assuming your display can be calibrated for that level of brightness.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Two Displays
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 08:43:57 pm »

I thought Mark's main point about adjusting brightness was this:

"The problem is that if you take a standard LCD computer display and begin to lower the brightness below its optimum design point, you also negatively affect the display’s performance. All of a sudden it can no longer display certain colors, and it loses even more uniformity across the screen. It gets all “blotchy” and the gamut and dynamic range get reduced."

His hypotheses is that "standard" displays don't work all that well at a brightness setting that is suitable for photography.

Dave

Tyler Mallory

• http://www.tylermallory.com
Two Displays
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 11:58:34 pm »

My theory was that the brightness helped the contrast range and that a good profiling would account for the brightest stuff to remain bright, but adjust the response curve so that the other tones fell in line with the rest of the screen's capabilities.
Though my perspective comes from the fact that most of my work ends up for use online, where other people are looking at it on those bright monitors.
The article is from the perspective of a print. There will always be a bit of a juggle trying to get an additive color (light emitting) device to accurately portray the outcome of the same image in a subtractive color (light reflecting) media. They are fundamentally opposite ways of generating color.

tho_mas

Two Displays
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 04:49:16 am »

Quote from: Tyler Mallory
My theory was that the brightness helped the contrast range
of course, but the same applies to the black point. The numerators smaller than 1 of the black point have a much higher impact on contrast than the brightness level.

120 - 0.3   = 400:1
120 - 0.2   = 600:1
120 - 0.15   = 800:1
180 - 0.3   = 600:1
180 - 0.2   = 900:1
160 - 0.2   = 800:1
100 - 0.2   = 500:1
100 - 0.25   = 400:1
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 04:53:49 am by tho_mas »

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
Two Displays
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 05:05:53 am »

of course, but the same applies to the black point. The numerators smaller than 1 of the black point have a much higher impact on contrast than the brightness level.

120 - 0.3   = 400:1
120 - 0.2   = 600:1
120 - 0.15   = 800:1
180 - 0.3   = 600:1
180 - 0.2   = 900:1
160 - 0.2   = 800:1
100 - 0.2   = 500:1
100 - 0.25   = 400:1

The point is, that in IPS type panel the black point is relatively high, so the contrast ratio at lower luminance levels can be to small. Not a case in Eizo, where you get over 400:1 at 80cd/m^2, so at higher luminance you even have to cut the black point, otherwise contrast gets too high.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 05:06:22 am by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Two Displays
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 09:16:01 am »

The recommended brightness is that which matches a print based on how you view that print. Mark's correct about the "my prints are too bright" issue being to bright a display, too bright if you take the viewing conditions into account. But what are those conditions and can you control them? On my GTI booth, I have a digital dimmer. Its currently set to 50% with my NEC SpectraView at 150cd/m2. I can raise or lower each within reason. I can move my Solux task lamp closer to or farther away from this booth (with the Fluorescent off of course, I often use one or the other). So anyone who suggests there's one right setting needs to define both the display and the booth conditions. Otherwise its a lot like one had clapping.

As for contrast ratio, the values above are correct since all you need to do is some simple division. The question becomes, do you have control over both the black and white target values of the display? No problem with better CRTs. And a few LCD's with better panels and software control allow this. This adds another value into the mix so now not only do you try to get cd/m2 for the backlight set to match the booth, you've got the black level too. When the planets all align, you might get all three values to be something someone says is "correct" but its usually trial and error (if at 120 - 0.3 = 400:1, which is STILL TOO HIGH), the viewing booth might be such that the soft proof looks too high or low.

In the case of my NEC, I simply tell the software what contrast ratio to hit as well as the luminance of white and off it goes. It doesn't always hit the value exactly since there's a mathematical compromise plus I have to view the prints in the booth, adjust that and/or the display target values again.

Driving displays lower does let them last longer.

Oh and by the way, a bigger gamut display isn't always better. In some cases, depending on the work you do, its a definitive negative. The article kind of makes it sound that an Adobe RGB like display is preferable. Not in many cases where you are working with very subtle color images that fall within sRGB gamut.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:19:34 am by digitaldog »
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

tho_mas

Two Displays
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 09:43:46 am »

Quote from: digitaldog
The recommended brightness is that which matches a print based on how you view that print.
exactly.

but its usually trial and error (if at 120 - 0.3 = 400:1, which is STILL TOO HIGH), the viewing booth might be such that the soft proof looks too high or low.
I agree - all the values are pretty much useless unless you see roughly the same on screen and in the viewing box.
I always adjust my white point by hand... so I end up with a certain x/y value that matches paper white in the viewing box visually. The same applies to the brightness level.
As to the contrast I also agree that 400:1 is somewhat high for the comparision screen-> print. That's again such a questinable recommondation. I am working at something around 350:1. Still 400:1 is not too far away and viewing in softproof mode with simulation of "black ink" (but without paper simulation) the resulting contrast pretty much matches the print IMO.
But, yes, it depends very much on perception and this is why all values are useless unless they respond to the conditions visually.

BlackSmith

• http://
Two Displays
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 03:15:07 pm »

As long as we are reviewing the reasons for the "my prints are too dark" complaints, I'll mention the output curves in the print profile. In my limited experience, it seems most are designed to maintain highlight separation at the expense of pushing the shadows to black. This not only kills the separation in the shadows, it can cause some images to actually turn out too dark - no matter the lighting. Not that this is a flaw in the color management. The print can only handle so much tonal separation: if you put more in the highlights, the shadows suffer. It's is just the nature of the beast. Those who soft proof correctly, identify the problem before printing an can compensate. But they are not the source the of common complaint.

This brings us to the other most common complaint: maybe someday Lightroom will have soft-proofing.
When they do, I hope they have presets for: 1) Maintain highlight separation (this is tricky because they would have to assume the contrast of the monitor vs. the lighting of the print as you have already mentioned, but assumptions already seem to me made by most profiles). 2) Maintain shadow separation. 3) Uniformly decrease contrast (maybe impose a linear-in-L* curve from the the media white point to the print's blackpoint, accounting for BPC). And being lightroom, I assume they'll offer some user defined options.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 04:52:27 pm by BlackSmith »

dreed

Two Displays
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 08:50:09 pm »

Something that I've started to notice with LCD displays on both monitors and laptops is that now some manufacturers (ie Dell) are quoting the percentage of the gamut covered by their displays.

For example, the cheaper laptops and monitors typically only cover 70% of the "standard" gamut (which standard is mentioned in their product details.) I imagine that as you spend more $ the gamut coverage does not shrink...

This may provide you with a rationale for buying a more expensive model for picture viewing/editing and a less expensive one as the "console."

James R

Two Displays
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 10:31:43 am »

I purchased an Eizo CE 240 W several months ago.  It took me a little while to adjust to the darker screen, but, my print brightness is always spot on.  Prior to the Eizo, I made allowances for dark prints and still occasionally would get the dark print.  

My experience went like this:  I calibrated the Eizo using X-Rite's Eye-one hardware and software.  The results were not good when printing.  Called Eizo's customer service and received information, similar to Mark's article, about screen brightness. Apparently, X-Rite tends towards the bright side.   I download their calibration software and used it with my Eye-One hardware.  What a difference.  My prints always match my screen and I never get a dark print.  

No doubt Eizo's customer service and extended warranty add to they higher cost basis, but, to me, it is money well spent.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 09:43:27 am by James R »

Fernando Chaves

Two Displays
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 08:18:53 am »

In the artcle we can read "First of all, look at the gamut versus Adobe RGB:
The display gamut is larger than Adobe RGB and larger than the Epson 9900 with my favorite papers. Hurrah!
At Eizo website,
http://www.eizo.com/products/graphics/cg301w/spec.asp
CG 301W specifications are:
Gamut Coverage
sRGB 99%
Adobe RGB 97%
Who's right?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
Two Displays
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 08:59:11 am »

Quote from: Fernando Chaves
The display gamut is larger than Adobe RGB and larger than the Epson 9900 with my favorite papers. Hurrah!

Who's right?

I don't know what paper you use, or the profile used in the article but I'd be very, very hard pressed to believe its anything close to the gamut of a 9900! That just sounds wrong by a long shot.

James R

Two Displays
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2009, 10:09:39 am »

Moose Peterson's blog was trumpeting a new X-Rite calibrating product--I know, Moose is always pushing new stuff.  What's interesting is his coming to the conclusion that reduced brightness produced better prints.

Here's his comments:

Sep
ColorMunki
Posted by Moose under Great Stuff
No Comments

colormunki

Long story short, motherboard fired taking out my digital library computer. Dell got me a loaded T5500 is record time (6 business days) so I’ve been rebuilding the system. About a month ago X-Rite sent me a ColorMunki to test (who comes up with these names?) but it wasn’t a priority so here it sat until two days ago. I’ve been profiling with the EyeOne for years now and it always did a great job. It always set my 21UXs brightness near the max though which always bugged me, but the color was for the most part spot on. I had tried the ColorMunki on the notebooks but that doesn’t really count to me since notebook LCDs have so few controls. But it does a really nice job there so I went for it and loaded it on the new computer.

The first thing that shocked me was the ColorMunki had me turn down the brightness on the 21UX. I mean, from 98 to 47! It had me fine tune the contrast but that brightness, in my mind I figured it wasn’t working. It went through its light show and said all done. Since I run dual 21UX on my desktop I clicked next and it instantly jumped to the 2nd 21UX. Again, it had me turn down the brightness. When all finished I looked at the monitors with various images and I swear they looked better than before with the old computer. How could that be with the brightness turned down so far? The human brain ain’t too good at remembering such things so I figured I was just not seeing the drastic change I thought should be there. OK, I’ll process a new file from NEF to 24×30 print using my usual workflow. If the Munki is right, the print will be spot on. If my logic is right, the print will be dark. My jaw hit the floor as the print coming out of the Epson 7900 (great printer!) was spot on! Damn, it was gorgeous!

No clue how the ColorMunki works, I just know it really, really does! One thing it does is do an ambient light reading through a sensor at its top which at first I thought was really dorky. Wrong! It makes you jump through a number of hoops as you spin the dial (be careful NOT to click the Calibration lever in the middle of the dial, confuses things) but the overall time to calibrate from start to finish is faster and in my opinion, much better! The ColorMunki is by far the best profiler I’ve ever used!

Now, if I can just get PS to play with the computer resources nicely!

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
Two Displays
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2009, 10:16:51 am »

Quote from: James R
What's interesting is his coming to the conclusion that reduced brightness produced better prints.
So how can the luminance of a display affect a print? Answer, it can't. It can affect the soft proofing (correlation between the screen and the print), but obviously it can't affect the print itself.

47cd/m2? I'd be hard pressed to even work at the previous values (98cd/m2 with a newer LCD). What's he talking about?

I had tried the ColorMunki on the notebooks but that doesn’t really count to me since notebook LCDs have so few controls.
Neither do the other LCD's (there's nothing to adjust other than the backlight anyway).

The first thing that shocked me was the ColorMunki had me turn down the brightness on the 21UX. I mean, from 98 to 47!
It made him? You tell the software your calibration target values and it then asks you to adjust accordingly. So he must have done something here to "tell" the software what he wanted.

James R

Two Displays
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2009, 12:28:40 pm »

Quote from: digitaldog
So how can the luminance of a display affect a print? Answer, it can't. It can affect the soft proofing (correlation between the screen and the print), but obviously it can't affect the print itself.

47cd/m2? I'd be hard pressed to even work at the previous values (98cd/m2 with a newer LCD). What's he talking about?

Neither do the other LCD's (there's nothing to adjust other than the backlight anyway).

It made him? You tell the software your calibration target values and it then asks you to adjust accordingly. So he must have done something here to "tell" the software what he wanted.

Cut him a break.  Brightness is perceived not measured.  Reducing luminance gave him the perception that the LCD was less bright.  The results are the same, his prints were spot on.   Nothing about the monitor affects the print; but, it can affect how we adjust the image file, which has an effect on the print.  Isn't that why one should make image adjustments on a properly calibrated monitor?  

tho_mas

Two Displays
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2009, 12:38:28 pm »

Quote from: James R
Nothing about the monitor affects the print; but, it can affect how we adjust the image file, which has an effect on the print.  Isn't that why one should make image adjustments on a properly calibrated monitor?
of course. But don't forget to set and control the ambient light, i.e. the lighting conditions under which you eye up prints and edit the files on screen. If at 47cd/qm the screen white level matches the prints white level under appropriate viewing conditions... then either the printer or the colormunki is completely off.

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
Two Displays
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2009, 12:54:22 pm »

He didn't say anything about cd/m2, at least not in the quote above. I would assume  that the 98/47 numbers are the numeric brightness setting of his LCD, probably on a scale that goes to 100.

I have my Eizo CG241W calibrated to 95 cd/m2, and it doesn't look too dim to me. I get a good match for prints, and the brightness level is comfortable for my ambient light. It probably helps that this display has nice deep blacks, so I still get a pleasing contrast range. I guess on LCD's with poor blacks things might look a bit flat at that luminance level.

If I had to work on a display calibrated to 150 or even 120 cd/m2, it wouldn't just make getting a match with prints more difficult - it would make me miserable due to the eye strain.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up