Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pond at sunset  (Read 3030 times)

Jeremy Payne

Pond at sunset
« on: August 08, 2009, 10:43:09 am »

shutterpup

Pond at sunset
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 11:29:55 am »

I am a sunset junkie, so I definitely like the color version. Of the two B/W, I prefer the first, showing more sky. To me, it looks more natural.

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
Pond at sunset
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 02:03:45 pm »

Quote from: shutterpup
I am a sunset junkie, so I definitely like the color version. Of the two B/W, I prefer the first, showing more sky. To me, it looks more natural.

A agree with shutterpup, but one thing I would do is maybe crop out the thin reeds at the bottom.  The hard lines draw attention away from the misty goodness in the background.  The pastel colors really add to this image, so I would suggest keeping the color version.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Pond at sunset
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 05:34:31 am »

I'd keep the colour version: the sky looks very pretty and the beauty is lost in b&w. I'd also crop the reeds off the bottom, since they're really just a distraction.

Good shot.

Jeremy

Dick Roadnight

Pond at sunset
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 07:17:53 am »

Did you use photomerge or which view camera, and with how much tilt?
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Jeremy Payne

Pond at sunset
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 07:36:37 am »

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
Did you use photomerge or which view camera, and with how much tilt?

No stitching, no photomerge, no bracketing ... just a single 30 second exposure at f/16 and ISO 200 on a Nikon D700 at 105mm on the 70-200VR ... developed in Lightroom.

Dick Roadnight

Pond at sunset
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 07:50:56 am »

Quote from: Jeremy Payne
No stitching, no photomerge, no bracketing ... just a single 30 second exposure at f/16 and ISO 200 on a Nikon D700 at 105mm on the 70-200VR ... developed in Lightroom.
Jeremy, Thank you for your reply.

With this type of misty pastel pic, res is not important, so you have been able to get away with a single shot with a simple camera... but this is the type of shot I want to do @ 100 Mpx with my view camera! (@f8, without diffraction)
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Jeremy Payne

Pond at sunset
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 11:25:43 am »

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
With this type of misty pastel pic, res is not important, so you have been able to get away with a single shot with a simple camera... but this is the type of shot I want to do @ 100 Mpx with my view camera! (@f8, without diffraction)
When called for, you can stitch up quite a large image using the D700 ...

The original here is a 80mpx image made using the D700 and the same lens, except with stitched and bracketed exposures:

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Pond at sunset
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 11:31:52 am »

One thing to keep in mind when processing pictures like this is that the sky that is mirrored in the water should be no brighter than the actual sky.  Not an absolute rule, but there is something not quite "right" about images where that is not the case.  Of course exceptions can be used creatively.

Jeremy Payne

Pond at sunset
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 11:39:02 am »

Quote from: bill t.
One thing to keep in mind when processing pictures like this is that the sky that is mirrored in the water should be no brighter than the actual sky.  Not an absolute rule, but there is something not quite "right" about images where that is not the case.  Of course exceptions can be used creatively.
Makes sense.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Pond at sunset
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 09:53:47 pm »

Jeremy, I'd have to go with the color version. The problem with the B&W is that the branches in the foreground become too dominant without the color glow in the sky. Don't crop anything. You need the reeds at the bottom of the picture to give the viewer's eye a stopping point. Don't worry about the "rule" that the sky should be brighter than the water. That "rule" may be true in some cases, but Monet, among others, has demonstrated that it's not really a "rule." Depends on the picture. In this one it's exactly the way the world works at this time of day.

One thing that gets lost in the color version is the north country evening haze hovering in the background vegetation. If you're going to manipulate the picture at all you might bring that up a bit, though if I were doing it I'd be about as cautious as a brain surgeon at work.

All in all the picture reminds me of night coming on over a trout stream in northern Michigan where I spent my summers as a kid. Very nostalgic image for me.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.
Pages: [1]   Go Up