Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Att'n:  S & C Ontario Get-Together & Shoot?  (Read 4759 times)

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Att'n:  S & C Ontario Get-Together & Shoot?
« on: May 23, 2005, 10:08:16 pm »

Should you have no luck with the first link, try this: OntarioParks/SilentLake

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 09:58:19 am »

Just some location notes from someone who knows the area well. That area is dotted with countless lakes and beautiful scenery. The MapArt road maps shows almost all of the driveable roads in the area. You will be within 45-60 minutes drive of many locations, in case you run out of things to shoot in Silent Lake. Many of the old logging roads, although narrow, and occasionally rough are ok for most cars at reasonable speeds. Do not be afraid to explore.
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 09:48:52 pm »

Thanks but I can't make it.

There is a spot just north of town on highway 62 called Eagle's Nest, near the 24 hr Tim Horton's. It is basically a huge rock and you can drive to the top for some panoramas. They are not especially interesting, just trees and hills as far as the eye can see, although pretty in autumn colour. A friend whose father taught school in the area in the 1920's and 1930's has a B&W photo taken from up there, and the area was clear cut as far as the eye can see. It's a staggering contrast to today.
--
Robert

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 12:59:32 pm »

Glenn:  Silent Lake is a very pretty area.  Depending on time and other contstraints, you may also want to check out Petroglyphs Provincial Park, which is a bit south, or wander around the very large/ mostly undeveloped Kawartha Highlands area, including Kawartha Highlands Provincial Park.  Warsaw Caves are interesting,  but out of the way from where you're going.  There's enough beautiful landscape - lakes, rocks, trees in the Kawartha Lakes area to keep you going for years.  Eagle's Nest, as mentioned, is on the highway heading north out of Bancroft.  A steep road, not maintained in winter but easily accessible in summer.

Makes me wish I could join you...  Maybe next time.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

glenndavyphoto

• http://www.glenndavy.com
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 03:58:19 pm »

I and another photographer are wondering if any other photographers of Landscape & Wildlife are interested in a small gathering/get-together for some shooting?  The planned area is at Silent Lake Provincial Park, Southern Ontario, Canada, a bit south of Bancroft, which itself is a ways south of Algonquin Park.  This might interest people from Ottawa, Toronto, KW, North Bay, etc.  I don't want to make it too large, as I am a very strict believer in low-trace camping and overwhelming an area isn't maybe the best way to go.  This is a camping trip (obviously, although there are motels near by).  There are no motor boats allowed on the lake so if you have a canoe, that would be very adviseable (you can rent one there as well).  I've not ever been to this area myself, but I understand it's a medium to small sized lake in the Eastern Deciduous/Boreal Forest margin biome, so there's lots of variety in and around this area.  The time frame would be for a weekend in June, except the 18th and 19th which is not available.  Camping is $18.75 per night without showers, $19.75 with showers.  If you want a brief look at the area ahead of time, here are 2 links available:  

Silent Lake Provincial Park

and

Silent Lake Again

Please let me know ASAP if you are interested via this thread.  Thanks!

Glenn
Glenn
h

glenndavyphoto

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 09:19:14 am »

Thanks Chris.  Not sure why the link has quit working.  Appreciate the help.

Glenn
Glenn
h

glenndavyphoto

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 10:30:37 am »

Many thanks for this Robert  :) .  Appreciate the head's up.  If you have time and want to join us, be sure to let me know.

Glenn
Glenn
h

glenndavyphoto

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 07:47:29 am »

Thanks Robert, that's really interesting.  I'm glad the "contrast today" is in the opposite direction  :) .  I saw enough of clear cuts when I worked up north, and those were massive.  

Appreciate the info - we'll look into that.  Thanks

Glenn
Glenn
h
Pages: [1]   Go Up