Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 not printing  (Read 7893 times)

Mark Potter

Z3100 not printing
« on: August 07, 2009, 06:59:13 pm »

I am trying to print to my z3100 and every application that I try and print from crashes the print driver and crashes the HP print Preview. I can connect the HP printer utility ok and if I just click print directly to the printer from PS it prints the 24" file at about 6"  but if I try to click any menus in the print driver box it crashes?

the new things that have changed about my system are

went from a G5 to an Intel Mac Mini running 4 gigs of ram
Upgraded Photoshop to CS4
I am also running OSX.5

any suggestions would be helpful.

Ernst Dinkla

Z3100 not printing
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 03:04:32 am »

Quote from: Mark Potter
I am trying to print to my z3100 and every application that I try and print from crashes the print driver and crashes the HP print Preview. I can connect the HP printer utility ok and if I just click print directly to the printer from PS it prints the 24" file at about 6"  but if I try to click any menus in the print driver box it crashes?

I am also running OSX.5

Did you try it with the preview function switched off ?

Is the print very large ?  This cropping to a smaller width is something I recognise when the length limit of the driver is passed.
Set lengths in inches instead of mm you might be used to ?

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

Mark Potter

Z3100 not printing
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 12:10:10 pm »

Quote from: Ernst Dinkla
Did you try it with the preview function switched off ?

Is the print very large ?  This cropping to a smaller width is something I recognise when the length limit of the driver is passed.
Set lengths in inches instead of mm you might be used to ?

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

What I am trying to print is an 14 x 18 image, I have tried other images but never get past the print driver.

I CAN connect to the printer with the utility and profile a paper!

I did switch from the Bonjour to the HPIP for a connection and DID get it to make one print then that connection started doing the same thing, crashing the print driver?

The problem flows like this...

In PS I select print, in that dialog box I set up my printer, paper and such and hit print. The next dialog box I assume is the print driver (THIS is the dialog window where the crash takes place) where you choose quality and have the option of using HP Print Preview (which I do use) In fact if when I get to that window and just sit there and do nothing it will crash within 30-45 sec...

I have reloaded the printer utility and printer driver and made sure I had the driver for OSX 10.5.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 12:12:10 pm by Mark Potter »

Rocco Penny

Z3100 not printing
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 01:46:39 pm »

Hi,
I'm a beginner, and have very limited knowledge of such things-
but, my scratch disc size wasn't large enough to handle even small images at some point.
I defragmented my hard drive purged the caches, knocked out some unused applications and tossed tons of awful exposures.
Now my crashes are minimized(although CS4PS photomerge at more than a gig will do it)
also, my thought is there is a glitch.
Hmmm what I mean, is my z3100 sometimes just has a little tantrum and refuses to get up off the floor without serving a time out in the corner.
Really, shut off the computer, unplug the USB to all devices, power down the printer according to the manual, shut off the printer power toggle in the back of the printer near the power cord, let it set for a moment, turn back on the printer and computer, and then plug in the USB to the printer only.
My seagate external drive really was fouling up the actions I was taking, coming on unexpectedly, adding a layer of hocus pocus to an already demanding pursuit.
Now it all seems to be meshing, but still once in a while the computer won't detect the device or some other thing like you're talking about.
Maybe I'm lucky and the power trick has worked every time so far.
good luck
Rocco

tonywong

Z3100 not printing
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 02:26:05 pm »

I am also running OSX.5

Did you use Migration Assistant to copy everything over? It could be that something got wonked in the transistion, or that some PPC drivers/code are interfering with your set up.

You can try to reset your printing subsystem here:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...071029230031666

Mark Potter

Z3100 not printing
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 02:49:45 pm »

Quote from: tonywong
Did you use Migration Assistant to copy everything over? It could be that something got wonked in the transistion, or that some PPC drivers/code are interfering with your set up.

You can try to reset your printing subsystem here:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...071029230031666

No, I did not use Migration assistance. I simply reinstalled my main apps PS CS4, Painter, InDesign and on the ones that I did copy over everything works fine.

I also have tried the reseting of the printing system and still the driver crashes in the print window after printing from PS or any other app I try to print from.

I'm out of options at this point... I have reloaded everything, reconnected everything but still crashes...

Mark Potter

Z3100 not printing
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 04:07:36 pm »

UPDATE:

after switching from ethernet connection to USB connection I was able to connect get the print diver to work - somewhat...as I had a sheet loaded in the printer thinking that since the image as small a sheet would be fine but that introduced more issues with the printer trying to use a sheet, I know stupid me thinking the printer would SIMPLY print a sheet. so once the print job left the print driver to spool over it failed and would not print as the printer did not like having a sheet...

So,...I went back to a roll and now the USB connection crashes as the bonjour and HPIP using ethernet.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 04:08:28 pm by Mark Potter »

tonywong

Z3100 not printing
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 03:07:06 am »

UPDATE:

after switching from ethernet connection to USB connection I was able to connect get the print diver to work - somewhat...as I had a sheet loaded in the printer thinking that since the image as small a sheet would be fine but that introduced more issues with the printer trying to use a sheet, I know stupid me thinking the printer would SIMPLY print a sheet. so once the print job left the print driver to spool over it failed and would not print as the printer did not like having a sheet...

So,...I went back to a roll and now the USB connection crashes as the bonjour and HPIP using ethernet.

What version of the firmware are you using on the printer? Mac OS version?

Did you install the HP drivers 1.1.1 from the mac software update (I don't think that you should install this after installing the z3100 driver software)? This may already be installed depending on the version of the OS and when you got the mac.

Does the 'Console' Utility spit anything out at you when the driver crashes? Did you try resetting your printing subsystem?

Mark Potter

Z3100 not printing
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 11:26:20 am »

What version of the firmware are you using on the printer? Mac OS version?

Did you install the HP drivers 1.1.1 from the mac software update (I don't think that you should install this after installing the z3100 driver software)? This may already be installed depending on the version of the OS and when you got the mac.

Does the 'Console' Utility spit anything out at you when the driver crashes? Did you try resetting your printing subsystem?

I am on the current version of Firmware 7.0.0.3
Max OSX 10.5.8
Tried both the 10.5 driver from HP and the HP 1.1.1 drivers
Console utility - Don't know what this is?
Resetting the printing system - Yes (looks like it simply has you reinstalling the printers)
Reinstalled the printers - a few times now.

tonywong

Z3100 not printing
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 04:54:28 pm »

I am on the current version of Firmware 7.0.0.3
Max OSX 10.5.8
Tried both the 10.5 driver from HP and the HP 1.1.1 drivers
Console utility - Don't know what this is?
Resetting the printing system - Yes (looks like it simply has you reinstalling the printers)
Reinstalled the printers - a few times now.

The console application is in the utilities folder, included with every installation of Mac OS X. Hopefully when an application crashes it will give some kind of indication of what crashed and perhaps where it tripped up too. If you have the console application open during the time of printing, and it throws an error flag to the system, it will get flagged and reported there. Basically, anything of note that is placed in the system logs is piped through there, and the console is just a handy way of viewing the logs.

Have you performed a repair permissions in the Disk Utility application (in the Utilities folder)?

I guess you've been printing directly from CS4. Have you also tried printing from another application, say, Acrobat or Indesign? It crashes all the same with print preview off?

Have you tried using the embedded web server (by using the printer's IP address) and submitting a job through there?

I'm assuming that you have the z3100 non postscript model?

Mark Potter

Z3100 not printing
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 05:10:10 pm »

The console application is in the utilities folder, included with every installation of Mac OS X. Hopefully when an application crashes it will give some kind of indication of what crashed and perhaps where it tripped up too. If you have the console application open during the time of printing, and it throws an error flag to the system, it will get flagged and reported there. Basically, anything of note that is placed in the system logs is piped through there, and the console is just a handy way of viewing the logs.

Have you performed a repair permissions in the Disk Utility application (in the Utilities folder)?

I guess you've been printing directly from CS4. Have you also tried printing from another application, say, Acrobat or Indesign? It crashes all the same with print preview off?

Have you tried using the embedded web server (by using the printer's IP address) and submitting a job through there?

I'm assuming that you have the z3100 non postscript model?

I will try open the console app and try to print to see if i can figure anything out.

i will also preform a repair of the permissions with the disk utility

I have tried to print from other apps with the same crash happening.

I have not tried using the embered web server as i don't know anything about it or how to do it but will see what I can do.

yes, Z3100 non-PS

BTW - thanks for trying to help.

sloow

• http://paullitherland.com
Z3100 not printing
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 09:53:35 pm »

I know that when I updated my computer to an intel Mac Pro, the HP drivers that were pre installed with the OS conflicted with the driver and Printer Utility that HP provides for the printer. Uninstall your HP Utility, then dig around in your System Library and remove the preinstalled offending drivers. Reinstall the current HP driver from the website.

That solved my problems.

tonywong

Z3100 not printing
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 01:13:51 am »

Quote from: sloow
I know that when I updated my computer to an intel Mac Pro, the HP drivers that were pre installed with the OS conflicted with the driver and Printer Utility that HP provides for the printer. Uninstall your HP Utility, then dig around in your System Library and remove the preinstalled offending drivers. Reinstall the current HP driver from the website.

That solved my problems.

Sounds like a good idea. I remember doing something vaguely like that when the 1.1.1 drivers appeared and screwed up my G5s printing, so I've never installed the 1.1.1 drivers on my system since.

Mark Potter

Z3100 not printing
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 12:44:59 pm »

Sounds like a good idea. I remember doing something vaguely like that when the 1.1.1 drivers appeared and screwed up my G5s printing, so I've never installed the 1.1.1 drivers on my system since.

I did do that as best as possiable as there is HP stuff all over the system, I even reinstalled 10.5 then reinstalled the HP drivers and Color center as before I got one print form the USB connection and one print from the ethernet connection then both went back to crashing each time?...

tonywong

Z3100 not printing
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 01:49:02 pm »

Mark, when you said you got one print from each connection, are you saying it printed successfully in each case before crashing upon subsequent prints or did crash upon those prints too? Perhaps trying to clear your cache with a cache cleaner like Onyx (http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs2/english/onyx_leopard.html) donationware or leopard cache cleaner (shareware), and just in case, run disk utility and choose 'verify disk'. I think Onyx does a disk verification beforehand but you can try disk utility if you're using leopard cache cleaner.

I did do that as best as possiable as there is HP stuff all over the system, I even reinstalled 10.5 then reinstalled the HP drivers and Color center as before I got one print form the USB connection and one print from the ethernet connection then both went back to crashing each time?...

Maybe sloow has some better insight into what needs to be removed in order to purge your system of HP stuff before reinstallation.

From what I can see by just scanning the library folder (from the HD -> Library, although you should check your User Name-> Library as well) for HP stuff. My HP installed software my differ from yours since I have the GP/APS installed but just look for anything in there starting with HP and purge it, then restart and reset the printing system before installing the HP driver from the HP site.

Library -> Frameworks
Library -> Application Support
Library -> Caches
Library -> Colorsync
Library -> LaunchAgents
Library -> PDF Services
Library -> Printers
Library -> Receipts
Library -> Startup Items

System -> Extensions

Note that mucking around with your system and library folder can render your mac unbootable, and may require user authentication. Back up your information before screwing around!

Mark Potter

Z3100 not printing
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 11:11:15 pm »

I have had to purchase a 5 day service plan from HP to see if they can hopfully fix this issue.

What appears to me is the driver is crashing. I can connect to the printer with the utility and profile papers. I can connect with the print que when selecting it in print/fax settings in the system preferances and print a test page from all connections - USB, Bonjour and HPIP but if I try and print from PS or any other app after I get thru the first print dialog box and into the second (printer driver?) this is where it crashes PS or if I am quick enough to select HP Print Preview than it only crashes HP Print Preview and PS stays operational.

I have attached a screen pic of the dialog box that I think is the Print Driver in case i am describing it wrong (HP asked that I send it to them)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 11:12:39 pm by Mark Potter »

tonywong

Z3100 not printing
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 02:49:04 am »

I have had to purchase a 5 day service plan from HP to see if they can hopfully fix this issue.

What appears to me is the driver is crashing. I can connect to the printer with the utility and profile papers. I can connect with the print que when selecting it in print/fax settings in the system preferances and print a test page from all connections - USB, Bonjour and HPIP but if I try and print from PS or any other app after I get thru the first print dialog box and into the second (printer driver?) this is where it crashes PS or if I am quick enough to select HP Print Preview than it only crashes HP Print Preview and PS stays operational.

I have attached a screen pic of the dialog box that I think is the Print Driver in case i am describing it wrong (HP asked that I send it to them)

Since it is a new machine/setup, you might want to make sure the hard disk directories, ram and cpu are ruled out as the culprit too, but since you've stated that it crashes on print in multiple applications I would say it is the print driver conflicting or having some kind of issue with things. And what you have in the image is the the print dialog box. It's a bit of a hybrid of the the mac dialog and hp print driver, especially depending on which tab you've selected in the dialog box.

Did you have any luck with the console utility output?

Mark Potter

Z3100 not printing
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2009, 10:04:37 am »

Did you have any luck with the console utility output?

No luck, I opened it up and then went to do a print and all it seem to note was PS closing abruptly.

tonywong

Z3100 not printing
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2009, 01:51:02 pm »

No luck, I opened it up and then went to do a print and all it seem to note was PS closing abruptly.

In the console app, make sure the log list is showing, then on the left, click the arrow to drop down log files, then crash reporter. Is there any CS4 listing?

The crashed thread, what the thread was working on and the last set of instructions might provide a hint about what is going on before the crash.

Mark Potter

Z3100 not printing
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2009, 11:48:52 pm »

In the console app, make sure the log list is showing, then on the left, click the arrow to drop down log files, then crash reporter. Is there any CS4 listing?

The crashed thread, what the thread was working on and the last set of instructions might provide a hint about what is going on before the crash.

good lord! information overload! if my answer is in there I'm screwed...it must have recored every crash. There's know way I am going to know what to do with this...

Thanks for pointing helping me with this but I don't see what I can do with this info...it's all greek to me?

BTW I installed the Vista drive on my wife's laptop per HP's request, I guess to confim the printer is ok and I don't see any issues, I have made three small prints. I have not been able to install the Printer Utility on her laptop as I have an error when trying to install but the driver went in ok and seems to be working from the little photo program she has installed - All my graphics apps are mac based on my Mac so I can only print through what she has but seem to be going through the driver fine.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up