Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Annie L  (Read 12515 times)

Rob C

Annie L
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 04:08:28 pm »

Quote from: kikashi
Do you mean the illuminati? I gather they control everything anyway.

Jeremy

I´m trying desperately hard to refrain from politics - religious ones most of all!

Rob C

thewanderer

Annie L
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 05:30:10 pm »

Quote from: Rob C
Probably neither; just of a different mindset. It would be as absurd to suggest you are simply a miserable young/old asshole. Wouldn´t it?

Had you bothered to read the first post, you´d note that the suggestion was made as a form of repayment for the benefits that those same "stars" took/take from her work; that you or others outwith that world would be expected to contribute was never in consideration.

Have a brilliant day, and may all of your decisions be the right ones.

Rob C

Oh, i make my bad decisions, day in and day out.  Am i an old ass hole, probably! and i wont apologize for it. Maybe i am sick of my income going to help study prostitutes in malaysia and tattoo removal in california so the thought of bailing out a old artist doesnt go over well,  Look,   I took beatings in the markets like everyone else, but you know what, I dont blame anyone but myself for it, nor do expect any support from anyone or would  I even want anyone to suggest someone to help me cover my bad decisions.     Thats just it, there is no accountabilty for bad decisions, just blame off on the accountant, or lawyer or whoever.   You want to help things, why not just have a hoolywooder or new york elite send a couple a bucks to your nearest  humane society so they can do some real good, build a shelter or some society like the kidney foundation or a cancer society that is getting killed by these recessionary times   or something else useful and will benefit many others in a meaningful way other than bailing out a old artist who still has a means.  It seems to me that one thing is a fact.  She still has her famousness, her eyes, and probably her talent and some old pictures lying around she could sell off and get her own self out of her own hole or maybe just move to a less expensive neighborhood and dig her way out the old fashioned way,, WORK!!  

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Annie L
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2009, 05:45:49 pm »

> Let the OP make one thing clear: he is not infatuated with the lady; he feels as he does because of a sense of fair-play which says that it wouldn´t go amiss were some of the '25 million bucks a pop' movie stars and musos who have benefitted from her work to dig a little into their wallets and help her settle a problem….

I don’t understand your sense of “fair-play.” Would you elaborate on that and how it fits to this circumstance?

> ….which can only get in the way of her work.

If she needs help with depression, there are a number of anti-depressant medicines available. They are not terribly expensive, even when including the cost of a visit to the doctor’s office. It is very important for those who suffer depression to move foreword and not create reasons to do nothing.

History has shown time after time that artists and other professionals do some of their best work when they are under pressure. Her skill is not at issue. The only losses includes some ultimately meaningless trophies and some self-esteem. I bet she will lose few to no customers as a result of this. Her plight amounts to publicity and that always sparks increased sales.

Chris_T

Annie L
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2009, 09:13:51 am »

Quote from: feppe
Let me get this straight: you're seriously suggesting charity for someone who has made at least an order of a magnitude more than the average wage in one of the wealthiest nations in the world for the past 20 years at least, with future potential income at least as much as in the past, and with fortune in the tens of millions of dollars?

Even taking her considerable debt into consideration, I'll cordially pass.

Perhaps Rob's soft spot is reserved only for those who are too big to fail.

Rob C

Annie L
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2009, 12:39:34 pm »

[quote name='Justan' date='Aug 10 2009, 10:45 PM' post='303016']
> Let the OP make one thing clear: he is not infatuated with the lady; he feels as he does because of a sense of fair-play which says that it wouldn´t go amiss were some of the '25 million bucks a pop' movie stars and musos who have benefitted from her work to dig a little into their wallets and help her settle a problem….

I don’t understand your sense of “fair-play.” Would you elaborate on that and how it fits to this circumstance?

Read the sentence again: it carries its intrinsic explanation.

> ….which can only get in the way of her work.

If she needs help with depression, there are a number of anti-depressant medicines available. They are not terribly expensive, even when including the cost of a visit to the doctor’s office. It is very important for those who suffer depression to move foreword and not create reasons to do nothing.

And I thought facile was for the ignorant...

History has shown time after time that artists and other professionals do some of their best work when they are under pressure. Her skill is not at issue. The only losses includes some ultimately meaningless trophies and some self-esteem. I bet she will lose few to no customers as a result of this. Her plight amounts to publicity and that always sparks increased sales.

Trophies are only meaningless when you have none. Financial ruin a new form of publicity; like that - perhaps you could start up your own PR firm.

Justan, I have no wish to fall out with you but we clearly have no common ground and, in order to prevent the wrath of the Gods from descending onto the thread and shutting it down, I dedicate the last word to your greater glory.

Rob C

Rob C

Annie L
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2009, 12:41:37 pm »

Quote from: Chris_T
Perhaps Rob's soft spot is reserved only for those who are too big to fail.

Well, in that case, why would this thread need to exist? Your logic must be divine; it is certainly beyond me.

Rob C
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 12:44:07 pm by Rob C »

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Annie L
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2009, 02:39:44 pm »

Rob,

I'm sorry you feel that way. I've tried to hold conversations with you. Your replies consist primarily of evasion and insults. Your comments above are typical.

People lacking in common ground can learn much, if they are willing to try. This site exists for people to turn to each other to learn. The concept is called synergy. You can see that in nearly every thread. I asked you to elaborate on a point you were trying to make, but your reply was nothing but an insult.

Fwiw, just on the possibility that your comments about Ms L’s presumed obstacles to work are you projecting, you might want to look into treatment options for depression. For the record, that is not intended as a disparagement.

Thanks for your time.

blansky

Annie L
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2009, 11:38:44 am »

Perhaps being a "starving artist" would improve her work as well as help to lose the entourage.

Pete Ferling

Annie L
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2009, 12:12:10 pm »

Even though I make a living in the studio.  I still thank god that my shutter doesn't make the sound of a cash register, as this thread reminds me why I picked up a camera in the first place.

Rob C

Annie L
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2009, 04:10:46 am »

Quote from: Pete Ferling
Even though I make a living in the studio.  I still thank god that my shutter doesn't make the sound of a cash register, as this thread reminds me why I picked up a camera in the first place.

Hi Peter

That´s strange; I did exactly the same thing and the ultimate silence of the cash register is what drove me to permanent location work. Didn´t hear the cash register there either, but the bank did, fortunately.

Rob C

Ben Rubinstein

Annie L
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2009, 11:43:36 am »

I do believe that AL was paid for the jobs she did for said celebrities. Paid extremely well. She owes them as much for the publicity as they 'owe' her for the jobs they paid in full. I'll leave my pity for those who can barely afford food and housing rather than have some celebrity bailed out to the extent of not having to sell some of her houses. I find it sick that people would want people bailed out of not having to sell houses they own as an investment (especially when it's their own fault) when there are so many who can barely keep a roof over their heads.

AL, sell the houses, pay the debt, learn from your mistakes. You will still have a comfortable lifestyle and security in your life without those houses. Many others don't have that luxury. Capitalism works both ways, I ain't going to shed a tear over your townhouses, heck they were an inheritance anyway weren't they, it's not even as if you paid for them is it?

Rob C

Annie L
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2009, 12:08:21 pm »

Quote from: pom
I do believe that AL was paid for the jobs she did for said celebrities. Paid extremely well. She owes them as much for the publicity as they 'owe' her for the jobs they paid in full. I'll leave my pity for those who can barely afford food and housing rather than have some celebrity bailed out to the extent of not having to sell some of her houses. I find it sick that people would want people bailed out of not having to sell houses they own as an investment (especially when it's their own fault) when there are so many who can barely keep a roof over their heads.

AL, sell the houses, pay the debt, learn from your mistakes. You will still have a comfortable lifestyle and security in your life without those houses. Many others don't have that luxury. Capitalism works both ways, I ain't going to shed a tear over your townhouses, heck they were an inheritance anyway weren't they, it's not even as if you paid for them is it?

pom

Disregarding the accuracy or otherwise about whether Ms L did or did not inherit, it is as beside the point as was your earlier remark about the plight of the world's impoverished.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with that or them; this is a one-off that was proposed as a solution to one individual problem. Nobody asked for your kindness nor for mine; we are both excluded as doners by dint of being relative nobodies in the grander scheme of things. The undenied and uneniable poverty in this world has ever been and will ever continue; there are simply too many of us to have it otherwise and too few of us have anything much to contribute to the world economy to ever change that. Hell, even those of us with years of education and employment experience behind us can, and often do, find ourselves on the industrial waste heap.

Do try and get this straight, once and for all: this is not, never was intended to be, a general appeal for charity from the likes of the ordinary citizen; it was a suggestion for the ultra rich to reach into their wealth and use some of it to bail out one of their own. A matter of perspective and relativity; not a shake-down for your pocket money.

Your sympathy for the world´s impoverished is a fine thing; honorable and shared by most of us here, I suspect. I repeat: this and they are not connected, and neither is the (possible) supply of money; no competition exists for the same wallets. I refer you back to the meerkat ads, if you get them in your locality. Thimple?

Rob C  

Ronny Nilsen

• The Quiet Landscape
Annie L
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2009, 02:04:31 am »

New York magazine article about AL:
How Could This Happen to Annie Leibovitz?

Ronny
Ronny A. Nilsen
www.ronnynilsen.com

Rob C

Annie L
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2009, 04:26:36 am »

Quote from: ronnynil
New York magazine article about AL:
How Could This Happen to Annie Leibovitz?

Ronny

Thanks, Ronny; might just shame some of the envious but happy purveyors of schadenfreude.

Rob C

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up