Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amalfi Coast, Italy  (Read 2661 times)

alangubbay

Amalfi Coast, Italy
« on: August 07, 2009, 05:58:50 am »

I am re-visiting Sorrento in early September, after a gap of 40 years.  Anything particularly interesting from a photographic viewpoint?

Rob C

Amalfi Coast, Italy
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 06:23:49 am »

Quote from: alangubbay
I am re-visiting Sorrento in early September, after a gap of 40 years.  Anything particularly interesting from a photographic viewpoint?

Depending on the weather, you can get amazing/frightening shots of crashing waves in Amalfi; I´ve seen shots taken from the northern side of the 'town' looking down at it and the walls of spray appear to tower above the buildings along the road leading to the tiny headland with the tower on it.

If you want watery drama, that´s hard to beat.

Ravello, I think, was where Gore Vidal used to have a villa... there but for the sake of millions, perhaps, go I.

Beautiful coast wherever you go, as you´ll know since you are revisiting. Actually, the northern coast of Mallorca is as beautiful and mostly inaccessible too; maybe why Michael (Douglas) had a variety of wives living there at times... Separately, I hasten to add.

Ciao

Rob C

Kathy

Amalfi Coast, Italy
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 11:07:07 am »

Quote from: alangubbay

The whole of the Amalfi coast is very beautiful with numerous photographic opportunities. Amalfi & Positano  are well know destinations but Ravello is my favourite and it is worth exploring some of the inland villages. Capri is worth a visit but is very busy. Herculaneum and Pompeii are both interesting but I found Paestum charming, it is a very quite site in comparison to the others.

How do you plan to travel? A car provides independence and the ability to visit particular locations for sunrise sunset shots but the coast road is very busy and parking even in September is difficult. We stayed near Ravello and sometimes used the local bus rather than the car during busy times of the day. The water taxi was also very useful.

In September there should be some concerts at Villa Rufolo in Ravello, it is a spectacular setting for a concert.

Have a wonderful trip.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Amalfi Coast, Italy
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 11:34:37 am »

Consider the fiordo of Furore, Atrani near Amalfi, Positano. I'd echo Kathy's advice about the water bus and would also recommend Paestum.
Pages: [1]   Go Up