Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEC Wide Gamut screen - ProPhotoRBG or Adobe RGB?  (Read 2220 times)

bokehcambodia

• bokehcambodia
NEC Wide Gamut screen - ProPhotoRBG or Adobe RGB?
« on: August 07, 2009, 04:24:32 am »

Hello,
I am using a NEC wide gamut screen with the SpectraViewII preset target 'Photo Editing' (D65, 2.20 Gamma, 140 cd/m2 settings). For now i was using the AdobeRGB color space in Photoshop/Camera Raw which is also 2.20 Gamma. I switched recently to ProPhotoRGB (which i was told is 1.80 Gamma). Should i therefore recalibrate the screen with a new target of (D65, 1.80 Gamma, 140 cd/m2 settings) or is this not neessary?
My reason to switch to ProPhotoRGB was to make use of the wider gamut while editing images and then later converting them back to AdobeRGB for my stock archive. I don't do prints by myself so the larger space to make use of ink gamuts is not a factor for me.
My screen can only display about 96% of the AdobeRGB space so i wont see any differences on screen when using ProPhotoRBG? Or am wrong as my screen might have larger gamut areas outside the AdobeRGB space that a ProPhoto setting would display?
I am a bit confused about this atm.
Thanks for any help!

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 08:49:17 am »

The TRC gamma of the display calibration and that of a working space are totally separate and do not need to match. Leave the NEC to a 2.2 gamma. Compensation takes place in the ICC aware application (Display Using Monitor Compensation).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

bokehcambodia

• bokehcambodia
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 06:38:45 am »

Thanks so much! I guess a typical newbie-to-CMS mistake to get both mixed up
I should have know better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up