Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I miss my camera...  (Read 2072 times)

Pelao

I miss my camera...
« on: August 06, 2009, 08:02:05 pm »

It's been 21 days since my 5D went to Canon for a repair, and I realized today just how much I miss it. I can play with my 20D, or the nice selection of Nikons at work, but my 5D is special.

Is this normal, or am I, as my wife reckons, simply a sad spectacle?  Are you attached to your gear, or more specifically, to a piece of gear that really helps you make the photos you want to make?

Anyway, I just felt the need to moan, and since my wife (utterly wonderful in all other ways) is unsympathetic, thought I might find solace here.

For those who are truly bored, I sent my 5D in for the mirror recall repair, and it came back faulty: it just would not focus properly. I feel 21 days is a long time, and Canon just won't give details of what is happening, so here I am awaiting my friend.

masl

I miss my camera...
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 09:31:55 pm »

Quote from: Pelao
It's been 21 days since my 5D went to Canon for a repair, and I realized today just how much I miss it. I can play with my 20D, or the nice selection of Nikons at work, but my 5D is special.

Is this normal, or am I, as my wife reckons, simply a sad spectacle?  Are you attached to your gear, or more specifically, to a piece of gear that really helps you make the photos you want to make?

Anyway, I just felt the need to moan, and since my wife (utterly wonderful in all other ways) is unsympathetic, thought I might find solace here.

For those who are truly bored, I sent my 5D in for the mirror recall repair, and it came back faulty: it just would not focus properly. I feel 21 days is a long time, and Canon just won't give details of what is happening, so here I am awaiting my friend.

:^) it took me 4 years to sell my old Nikon FE and I still have the lenses.  For pros these are replaceable tools but for amatures... there is an attachment of sorts.  When my 645 was in for a little maintenance in January I couldn't help but see shots for which it was perfect.  21 days is a long time though.
-Mark
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 09:32:42 pm by masl »
[font="Verdana"][/font]Too much gear and

dseelig

I miss my camera...
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 11:34:51 pm »

Some of us pros get pretty attached to our tools . I got a m6 in a trade two years ago and I cannot get myself to sell it . Its too pretty . I am not shooting film these days but I just can't sell it . David
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 11:35:22 pm by dseelig »

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
I miss my camera...
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 11:56:22 am »

I'm in the same book.  When my D200 had to be sent to Nikon for shutter replacement (due to a stupid mistake on my part), the idea of being without my camera for the better part of a month was torture!  It got so bad that I went out and bought a D300 a couple days after I sent the D200 to Nikon.  And for some reason, I can't part with the D200.  I tell myself that it serves as a good backup, and that selling it wouldn't yield enough cash to justify selling it.  Deep down though, I know the reason is that it spent a lot of time helping me develop my photographic vision, and it does feel like an old friend.

Pelao

I miss my camera...
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 11:59:59 am »

Deep down though, I know the reason is that it spent a lot of time helping me develop my photographic vision, and it does feel like an old friend.

Yes, that's it. An old friend. And anyway, it is a great camera and a wonderful backup  

Pelao

I miss my camera...
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 12:57:35 am »

She's back home, and working fine.

Justinr

• Ink+images
I miss my camera...
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 02:35:40 pm »

Nothing like being forced to pick up a camera other than your regular, suddenly you have to start thinking again which is no bad thing as look back and survey the rut you've hopefully just climbed out of. I've just dug out my old mono-rail, unused for at least three, probably four, years and now I feel as if I'm engaging properly in photography again. The film I have is commensurately out of date, but what the hell, just do it as they say.

Justin.
Pages: [1]   Go Up