Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: epson 9900 faq  (Read 17733 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
epson 9900 faq
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2009, 06:16:24 pm »

Quote from: john milich
hooked up the printer via usb (had to move some things around to get it close enough).
it was not plug and play, after several attempts had to use the epson disc and install from scratch.

was still not able to get the LPF to install the updated firmware; this time it did not find the printer, (though i was able to print from CS4, and the printer watcher is showing the 9900)

Same thing here.

also:
how do you select the paper length when roll printing?  the only way i could do it was to select roll and 24x30 (I wanted to print 24x24) under "user" i expected to be able to make my own sizes, but no

You need to define a custom size in page set up in CS4 with a width matching precisely that of the roll paper being loaded.

Cheers,
Bernard

rvestal

• http://www.ultimatelightimages.com
epson 9900 faq
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2009, 04:45:26 am »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
Same thing here.

You need to define a custom size in page set up in CS4 with a width matching precisely that of the roll paper being loaded.

Cheers,
Bernard

I define paper settings in the Epson driver, 'Paper Settings > Size > User Defined'; I set Paper Width to the size of the roll being used and Paper Height to what I need it to be taking into account margins, etc.; you can then give the size a 'name' in the "Paper Size Name" dialogue box and then Save.  This way it's available for future use.

I am also having a similar issue with the automatic firmware update.  Everytime I run it, it reports the version installed on the printer, but it then tells me it can not find the latest firmware info from the internet.  I don't know if this is meant to be Epson's cryptic message that the firmware is up to date, or if there is another problem.  My dealer's tech support doesn't know either, so later today I'm going to try Epson support and will post back if I get an answer.

Randy
Randy
 [url=http://www.ultimatelightimage

john milich

epson 9900 faq
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009, 02:50:11 pm »

so far, I've spent about an hour on the phone with epson, no joy.
first we uninstalled everything re. the 9900, then installed the 6.60 driver from the epson site, then LPF viewer also from the site.

printer installed (usb port) but could not make a print! kept getting g mismatch between the driver and printer paper settings, the printer seemed to take teh setting on it's menus, but the driver was reporting the wrong setting for the printer. no matter what. so no dice.

am awaiting a call back as epson tries to figure it out. if not will ask for an on-site tech visit

eventually am expecting to install the new FW as well

narikin

epson 9900 faq
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2009, 05:40:12 pm »

if you like Epson Exhibition Fiber and want it in rolls, try Innova Fiba Print Ultra Smooth Glossy (IFA49).
its very very similar.
very similar.
hint.

john milich

epson 9900 faq
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2009, 11:03:25 pm »

guess what...epson never called back as promised.  so i called them, got a new tech, went through the entire drama again with him. got disconnected after 1/2 hour, called hem back (third time!) got jimmy.  Jimmy was able to get it going a bit.  could print from MS word, but still could not print a test page!  epson LPF could now see the printer, and tried a fw update...printer did an update cycle, re-booted and guess what?  it still had the original FW, 02995.  gave up.  jimmy is going to research the problem and get back to me.  we shall see

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
epson 9900 faq
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2009, 03:39:32 am »

Quote from: rvestal
I am also having a similar issue with the automatic firmware update.  Everytime I run it, it reports the version installed on the printer, but it then tells me it can not find the latest firmware info from the internet.  I don't know if this is meant to be Epson's cryptic message that the firmware is up to date, or if there is another problem.  My dealer's tech support doesn't know either, so later today I'm going to try Epson support and will post back if I get an answer.

Randy

I know this is how the printer responded after I updated the firmware ... it said in couldn't find the latest firmware from the internet.  I know the firmware update worked because menus changed in service mode, so why the error I do not know, (I would assume it would say your firmware is up to date).

john milich

epson 9900 faq
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2009, 09:42:04 am »

from epson, the latest FW is HW00906300
my machine keeps stalling on the update and retaining the HW02995 it came with

btw, I cannot print from CS4.  i keep getting a paper and driver papers do not match error.  cannot get teh driver to realize the printer has been set to aparticular paper.

as a side, if i am choosing an Ilford profile in CS4, what paper type would I select on the printer panel?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 10:57:11 am by john milich »

ChuckT

epson 9900 faq
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2009, 11:24:08 am »

"how do you select the paper length when roll printing?  the only way i could do it was to select roll and 24x30 (I wanted to print 24x24) under "user" i expected to be able to make my own sizes, but no.."

You should be able (under Win XP) go to the printer driver: Start - Setting - Printers & Faxes; select printer, Right-click, scroll down to Printing Preferences, go to Paper, Paper Size and configure and save a page size under User Defined.

cvt

ChuckT

epson 9900 faq
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2009, 11:34:53 am »

"For dust I run four portable electrostic air filters set on medium low which benefits everyy aspect of my workflow. They do need to be cleaned out often."

What general area are you in? US? East? North? where? We tried electrostatic air filters (aka "dust precipitators") in the past and didn't see any great improvement. Which have you got?  

Paul
[/quote]

rvestal

• http://www.ultimatelightimages.com
epson 9900 faq
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2009, 01:57:12 pm »

from epson, the latest FW is HW00906300
my machine keeps stalling on the update and retaining the HW02995 it came with
QUOTE (rvestal @ Aug 17 2009, 02:45 AM) *
I am also having a similar issue with the automatic firmware update. Everytime I run it, it reports the version installed on the printer, but it then tells me it can not find the latest firmware info from the internet. I don't know if this is meant to be Epson's cryptic message that the firmware is up to date, or if there is another problem. My dealer's tech support doesn't know either, so later today I'm going to try Epson support and will post back if I get an answer.

Randy

I know this is how the printer responded after I updated the firmware ... it said in couldn't find the latest firmware from the internet. I know the firmware update worked because menus changed in service mode, so why the error I do not know, (I would assume it would say your firmware is up to date).
\quote

I think I have gotten to the bottom of this after spending time yesterday with Epson support (who, BTW, don't seem to know much of anything in the UK) and working things out for myself.

The Epson web site does indeed say that the current firmware version is  HW00906300.  But I found out yesterday by trial and error, this is the 'packed' version.  When you manually download this file and then load this file into the firmware updater, it seems to 'unpack' it, and it reports PRINTER firmware update version HW02995, NIC firmware version 1.12 and the firmware versions for the spectro and paper uptake device (I don't remember those as I didn't pay attention).

Since I already have PRINTER version HW02995 and NIC version 1.12 installed, the 'update' button was grayed out.

Based upon this I think (but don't know) that the cryptic message from the automatic update means that the firmware is up to date.

Randy
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 02:04:45 pm by rvestal »
Randy
 [url=http://www.ultimatelightimage

john milich

epson 9900 faq
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2009, 05:05:06 pm »

i got the same story from epson; so HW02995 is the newest version, the numbers simpley do not match the "packaged upgrade" number

also got CS4 to print with the Ilford Galerie gold fiber silk profile and the paper type set to "no paper selected" on the printer;  i had a paper source mixup, resolved by setting the page setup source properly.

john milich

epson 9900 faq
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2009, 05:22:47 pm »

purchased a 50" roll of Ilford gold fiber silk and cut it on my panel saw to 34" and 16" rolls.  now I can make a 34" sq print, my fave format.  cut was perfect,  I blew off any dust and the edges are flawless

StuartR

• http://www.stuartrichardson.com
epson 9900 faq
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2009, 07:43:41 pm »

I think I may have cracked the automatic firmware update problem. At least, I did for me. Epson does not really bother to tell you, but you need to have paper loaded in the printer. When I first tried it, the printer was empty. I followed the instructions in the manual to the letter, and the firmware updater said, "cannot find printer information". I noticed somewhere in one of the instructions that the printer needs to say "ready" before you update the firmware. The only way to get this to happen is to load paper. So I loaded a sheet, let it say, "ready". Then I opened up LFP panel, clicked firmware updater, it received the full printer information. I clicked automatic firmware update and it worked fine. It takes awhile though, and during the process it will say ready on the printer and look like it is done. It is not. You just have to wait for it do finish. It took about 20 minutes or so, then it finally said firmware update complete, and the printer rebooted.

Hopefully this is it! At least it worked for me.

john milich

epson 9900 faq
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2009, 01:36:54 pm »

i just changed computers from PC to a new MacPro with os10.6, snow leopard.
downloaded the Mac driver for the 9900 from epson and...
IT WORKS

john milich

epson 9900 faq
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2009, 01:44:16 pm »

what is the current thinking about cleaning cycles and how to set the printer accordingly

jm
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 01:55:41 pm by john milich »

graemetouch

epson 9900 faq
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2009, 09:43:09 am »

I too am interested in peoples opinions RE best auto cleaning settings on the 9900.

Along with the many people, we were experiencing too many auto head cleans. We updated the firmware, but are still having issues.
It seems to want to do a head check / nozzle check near the end of some prints... about 1 inch from the end of a solid print area. This tends to leave a line where the ink is drying a bit before the printer finishes the job.

It has been suggested on another list that we turn off the auto nozzle check completely... but this seems a bit extreme.
We are using a colorburst RIP on OSX.

Epson UK not much help really.
BTW - this is out second 9900 printer in 12 months. The first one had an error 17 msg that after 6 weeks of engineer visits, we got a replacement machine.

Graeme

cybis

• http://www.lucbusquin.com
epson 9900 faq
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2009, 01:41:51 pm »

windows XP pro

made one step forward, one step back!
in the fw updater, selected browse, located the downloaded ...hw0090630, checked the printer box and the firmware upload proceeded!  printer took it, recycled its power but came back up with the same earlier hw002995 version!

will try again

Regarding Epson (weird) Firmware numbering:

MMMddym > Model, day, year, month

e.g.: HW02995 > 29 May 2009

This the format: HN0 = 7900, HW0 = 9900 , 29= Day, 9 = Year, 5 = Month

BUT! the container file format is different:
HW0090630: Epson 9900, 30 June 2009 > Model, Year, Month, Day, revision #

So it appears Epson posted the HW0090630 on June 30st containing a May 29th F/W.

Hope this helps,
Luc
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 01:42:16 pm by cybis »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
epson 9900 faq
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2009, 09:37:05 pm »

what is the current thinking about cleaning cycles and how to set the printer accordingly

jm

I think this depends on each individual printer.  Many (most)  are having no issues at all ... their printer doesn't frequently clog, and their AID/ANC systems work very well.  If this is the case I recommend leaving ANC set to occasionally.  There isn't much point to checking between every print.  In addition, if you have the new firmware you may want to consider setting the new Auto Cleaning Times to 3, restoring the original functionality.  It doesn't make much sense for the printer to continue printing when it is detecting nozzle problems  without at least an opportunity for the user to understand what colors and how many nozzles are affected, which is what happens if set to 1 or 2 (1 being the default).  Personally I don't see any real use in the new menu and its options.

For those fighting unnecessary cleans (the printer cleans even though nozzle checks show no clogs), I recommend turning all nozzle checks off, and in this case the Auto Cleaning Times choice doesn't apply.  I would use printed nozzle checks and manual cleans to avoid unnecessary cleaning, and consider calling for support.  The AID function can be quite helpful and reliable once it is working properly and in my case Epson USA has been very responsive to remedy this..

For those whose printer seems to be affected by frequent clogging (this is my circumstance ... one or two colors missing some nozzles most of the time when I start it up), I still recommend disabling nozzle checks and manually controlling the process as well.  In addition, I personally still start the printer in service mode and use the CL1 setting, usually cleaning individual channels.  This uses very little ink. This isn't quite as necessary now that you can disable ANC and actually prevent the printer from cleaning  itself repeatedly.    I am still trying to find out exactly how much ink the printer uses when cleaning a channel in normal mode.  It may not be much more than a CL1, but until I can verify this, using the service mode CL1 cleans means I'm using the least amount of ink possible to resolve problems.

I am still amazed at the quality of this printer on high quality glossy media.  I printed some images from my trip to Death Valley today and between the quality of the files from the p65 back and the quality of the printer, they are fabulous.

deanb2010

epson 9900 faq
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2009, 11:13:10 pm »

I have the ANC disabled, and have done the nozzle checks and cleans in the service mode. I have only had to use the CL2 cleaning occassionally. So far as I can see, using the service mode pair cleaning is the only way to clean just one pair, regardless of the state of the other channels (even with the latest firmware).

Recently, however, I have had significant issues with the CYAN and PHOTO-BLACK channels just dropping out. The entire channel would just quit, sometimes in the middle of a print, sometimes after a print was completed.  I called Epson warranty service and they were here today.  The service guy replaced several parts and left with the printer in working order.  Hopefully it stays that way...this is one of those cases where we won't know for probably a week or two.  

I'd be curious if anyone else has had problems with a complete channel going out on a regular basis; and if they found the cause.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
epson 9900 faq
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2009, 12:40:43 am »

Quote from: deanb2010
I have the ANC disabled, and have done the nozzle checks and cleans in the service mode. I have only had to use the CL2 cleaning occassionally. So far as I can see, using the service mode pair cleaning is the only way to clean just one pair, regardless of the state of the other channels (even with the latest firmware).

Recently, however, I have had significant issues with the CYAN and PHOTO-BLACK channels just dropping out. The entire channel would just quit, sometimes in the middle of a print, sometimes after a print was completed.  I called Epson warranty service and they were here today.  The service guy replaced several parts and left with the printer in working order.  Hopefully it stays that way...this is one of those cases where we won't know for probably a week or two.  

I'd be curious if anyone else has had problems with a complete channel going out on a regular basis; and if they found the cause.

Yes, I have had full colors drop - once a color dropped while I was cleaning another channel.  Epson service repaired the printer several weeks ago because of this.  Since then I haven't seen entire channels drop.

As far as cleaning single channels in normal mode, if you have ANC disabled with the latest firmware this should work fine.  I have confirmed it on a couple of occasions when colors from different channels had clogs. Not sure why it seems to be problematic for you.

One thing to be aware of, when Epson serviced my printer it was before the USA release of the new firmware, and the first thing he did was install his latest version of firmware - the version previous to the one I had on the printer.  I had to update the firmware once he left to get the latest running again.  Double check your firmware version.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 12:45:48 am by Wayne Fox »
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up