Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: epson 9900 faq  (Read 17706 times)

john milich

epson 9900 faq
« on: August 06, 2009, 08:14:49 am »

am just setting up my 9900 and thought it might be a good idea to collect responses to faq in one thread:

is it best to leave the printer on, in general, or off? certainly I would turn it off if idle for a few days...
how well does the print basket cloth gizmo work? do you front collect of back collect?
I'm will be using hasselblad with Phocus...not sure if Phocus will offer proRGB when processing?  am also using C1, where proRGB is a choice
if printing from photoshop C4, do you let C4 color manage or the printer?
anybody make a dust cover for the printer?
any hope epson will produce exhibition fiber in rolls?

thanks

Doombrain

epson 9900 faq
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 08:24:37 am »

Quote from: john milich
am just setting up my 9900 and thought it might be a good idea to collect responses to faq in one thread:

is it best to leave the printer on, in general, or off? certainly I would turn it off if idle for a few days...
how well does the print basket cloth gizmo work? do you front collect of back collect?
I'm will be using hasselblad with Phocus...not sure if Phocus will offer proRGB when processing?  am also using C1, where proRGB is a choice

thanks

Hi,

some say on, other off. if you don't mind the power then on but you can get damage from spikes if you do

it works well for both. i normally collect from the printer as and when

i don't know this software

let photoshop manage if you're using the normal epson driver and ICCs. Turn colour managment off in the driver (for colour prints)

no idea, i don't really see the point

already do (in the UK)
http://www.epson.co.uk/Store/Paper-and-Med...nal-photo-paper

john milich

epson 9900 faq
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 12:38:29 pm »

i was unable to find epson exhibition fiber paper in rolls on tht UK site linked above.'

here is the US epson link:
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/Product...Paper+%26+Media

rvestal

• http://www.ultimatelightimages.com
epson 9900 faq
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 12:44:55 pm »

thanks

Don't have the 9900, but do have the 7900:

I leave the printer on at all times; no particular reason, just what I do.  I do have the printer isolated with a surge protector, both for the line power and the ethernet, but will turn it off and unplug it if there are heavy thunderstorms in the area or we are going away for a long period.

I use the back basket for large prints; front for narrow panoramas, job information sheets, nozzle checks, etc.

All my images are in prophotoRGB; I print mostly from Photoshop (CS4) always with Photoshop managing color.

Look here for covers. I have two (in the black nylon double quilted), one for the 2200 and one for the 7900.  Their standard measure cover for the 7900 fits perfectly; both are good quality.  They have a cover for the 9900.

Good luck, Randy
Randy
 [url=http://www.ultimatelightimage

TimG

epson 9900 faq
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 01:00:19 pm »

I keep my printers off when not in use.  Keeping them on not only opens you up to potential spikes, brownouts, and other power-related damage but is wasteful, IMHO.

No idea on the rolls, but my guess would be it has something to do with the surface - perhaps it is more susceptible to scratches?  I honestly don't know.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 01:01:01 pm by TimG »

Ryan Grayley

• RGB Arts Ltd
epson 9900 faq
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 01:43:06 pm »

i was unable to find epson exhibition fiber paper in rolls on tht UK site linked above.'

AFAIK, Epson exhibition fiber paper (USA) = Traditional photo paper (UK).

Traditional photo paper rolls are listed on the UK site linked above (and elsewhere in the UK).
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 03:15:41 pm by Ionaca »
Ryan Grayley BA IEng MIET ARPS
RGB Arts Ltd, London, UK

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
epson 9900 faq
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 07:25:50 pm »

Turn the printer off when not in use for extended hours ... such as overnight.    This seals the heads and will help with clogging.  Canon and HP printers constantly prime the nozzles with minute amounts of ink to prevent clogs so they are better left on, but the Epson head will seal when you power it down so this is the recommended procedure.

It works well.  I use it in all 3 positions depending on what I'm printing.  It is a tremendous improvement over previous Epsons.

I don't use Phocus, but if you can't get your images out in a wide RGB space then I would recommend you forget using it.  I can't image this isn't possible, guessing a quick google would find you some answers.

gcs

• http://www.tacomal.com
epson 9900 faq
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 06:23:03 pm »

Quote from: Ionaca
AFAIK, Epson exhibition fiber paper (USA) = Traditional photo paper (UK).

Traditional photo paper rolls are listed on the UK site linked above (and elsewhere in the UK).

I have checked the paper specs for the UK version vs the US.

UK is 300 gsm and US 325 gsm, besides the UK in A sizes and US in inches. Never the less I see that the rolls in UK have width in inches. Rolls came out in February in the UK, so I guess soon it will be available in the US, as well as in South America, which goes along with the US.

I will be next week with the Epson representative and will check this.

Gonzalo
Gonzalo Contreras del Solar
Photography of Water
http://www.tacomal.com

john milich

epson 9900 faq
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 06:33:57 pm »

finally had some time to continue with set-up.

last time out, hooked up to my network, loaded the included 44" roll of matte paper and after a bit of fussing, printed the windows test page.  got very busy with work until today.  turned on the printer and figured out how to use single sheet...after 2 hours, could not get the printer to be seen on the network.  found the network/enable/disable seems to default to disable on power off.  had to manually change the IP address in the printer and in my computer TCP/IP port. that got them talking, but no print.  found i had to manually select the PK black ink on the printer since i was using a semi-gloss single sheet.  that initiated an ink fill and a clean cycle for about 20 minutes... finally got a print of the test page.
next to try a photoshop feed.

quirky as far as network setup, esp if it defaults to disable!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 06:36:10 pm by john milich »

Farmer

epson 9900 faq
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 03:55:18 am »

finally had some time to continue with set-up.

last time out, hooked up to my network, loaded the included 44" roll of matte paper and after a bit of fussing, printed the windows test page.  got very busy with work until today.  turned on the printer and figured out how to use single sheet...after 2 hours, could not get the printer to be seen on the network.  found the network/enable/disable seems to default to disable on power off.  had to manually change the IP address in the printer and in my computer TCP/IP port. that got them talking, but no print.  found i had to manually select the PK black ink on the printer since i was using a semi-gloss single sheet.  that initiated an ink fill and a clean cycle for about 20 minutes... finally got a print of the test page.
next to try a photoshop feed.

quirky as far as network setup, esp if it defaults to disable!

It default to "disable editing network settings" - that's what the disable on that menu means.  By default, it will look for DHCP to obtain a network address and if there is not DHCP server available to assign an automatic address that won't match with your local network.  You can use the Epson NetConfig utility to find any printer on the network and then set it up without having to use the panel.  Or, as you did, you can enable editing the network details through the panel and then do so in order to find it on the network.

The reason for defaulting to disable is to prevent someone changing the details by just randomly musing through the menus.

I recommend updating your firmware if you haven't already, and be on the lookout for another update "soon".
Phil Brown

pleverington

epson 9900 faq
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 08:42:26 am »

The printer head rests on a sealed pad when NOT printing whether or not the printer is on or off. Nothing dries out more if you leave the printer on and idle, as opposed to if it were to be off. This is a persistant misconception. That being said I turn mine off if not using it to prevent any possible stuff happening as far as power spikes and to be saving on the electricity for enviormental reasons.

My 9900 is on a shelf 55 inches off the floor and the prints drop down on a 44 inch by 7 foot long table. No cloth basket things at all.

For dust, I run four portable electrostatic air filters, set on medium low, which benefits every aspect of my workflow. They do need to be cleaned out often.

Paul
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 09:33:43 am by pleverington »

john milich

epson 9900 faq
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 05:10:56 pm »

tried to update my firmware, no joy.  )printer is showing HWO 2995,1.12,A000

ran epson LPF remote, chose update firmware, it searched the internet and loaded a second copy of the printer into my installed printers list, then hung up

i deleted the second copy.  the epson viewer keep showing the blinking red button in front of the printer, I can stop the blinking, but can't seem to make it green

went to the epson site found there is a new fw version, downloaded it and unzipped it.  the site also says you need a new version of the updater, so I dl that and tried to install it but the install wizard fails
???

Farmer

epson 9900 faq
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 05:21:53 pm »

tried to update my firmware, no joy.  )printer is showing HWO 2995,1.12,A000

ran epson LPF remote, chose update firmware, it searched the internet and loaded a second copy of the printer into my installed printers list, then hung up

i deleted the second copy.  the epson viewer keep showing the blinking red button in front of the printer, I can stop the blinking, but can't seem to make it green

went to the epson site found there is a new fw version, downloaded it and unzipped it.  the site also says you need a new version of the updater, so I dl that and tried to install it but the install wizard fails
???

In what way does the install wizard fail?  What happens?
Phil Brown

john milich

epson 9900 faq
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 05:32:34 pm »

i start  LPF remote panel, choose firmware updater, it pauses thena sks to acuire lateste fw version from internet (even though i had downloaded it to epson./epson 13174).  i say OK, it says cannot find latest FW info, leavin me with HW02995.

when i try to run the LPF remote update, i hit setup.exe in the epson/epson12828_lfp_remote _panel 2.  insatll wiard briefly comes up, the quickly the messge overlays to operation cancelled

i don't think a new lpf got installed, or even was needed.  definitely I not getting the new FW installed

Farmer

epson 9900 faq
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 08:05:04 pm »

i start  LPF remote panel, choose firmware updater, it pauses thena sks to acuire lateste fw version from internet (even though i had downloaded it to epson./epson 13174).  i say OK, it says cannot find latest FW info, leavin me with HW02995.

when i try to run the LPF remote update, i hit setup.exe in the epson/epson12828_lfp_remote _panel 2.  insatll wiard briefly comes up, the quickly the messge overlays to operation cancelled

i don't think a new lpf got installed, or even was needed.  definitely I not getting the new FW installed

Are you using Vista?  Right click the setup.exe and click "Run as Administrator" and see if that helps.
Phil Brown

john milich

epson 9900 faq
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2009, 08:58:28 am »

windows XP pro

made one step forward, one step back!
in the fw updater, selected browse, located the downloaded ...hw0090630, checked the printer box and the firmware upload proceeded!  printer took it, recycled its power but came back up with the same earlier hw002995 version!

will try again

john milich

epson 9900 faq
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2009, 09:36:43 am »

tried it again, same thing.   this is BS

mikev1

epson 9900 faq
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2009, 11:35:48 am »

tried it again, same thing.   this is BS
Sorry I haven't read through the entire thread but are you trying to install the firmware update over a network connection?  In talking to Epson support about a slightly different issue I was told that updating over a network is spotty at best.  I can't recall but does the manual say anything about this?

Also you might want to call Epson, when I was given a special firmware they also sent a different program to install it.  You might want to call them as they may have a solution for you.

Mike

john milich

epson 9900 faq
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2009, 12:51:34 pm »

thanks for that, yes network.

i will try the usb connection tomorrow and if that fails...on to epson support

jm

john milich

epson 9900 faq
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2009, 05:05:33 pm »

hooked up the printer via usb (had to move some things around to get it close enough).
it was not plug and play, after several attempts had to use the epson disc and install from scratch.

was still not able to get the LPF to install the updated firmware; this time it did not find the printer, (though i was able to print from CS4, and the printer watcher is showing the 9900)

had an odd problem there: had uprezzed an image to print at 24 x 24 on a 24 roll, made a nice print while still hooked up to the network.
after the usb change when i tried to print from CS4, got a PS message saying I had to first install a printer.  but only with that image, when i selected other tif files, no problem???

downlaaded .icc profiles from ilford for the galerie silk, put them in windows/system32/spool/drivers/color, but CS4 did not find them when i was selecting paper.  had to use an epson photo glossy paper profile.  seems like epson profiles are somewhere else

also:
how do you select the paper length when roll printing?  the only way i could do it was to select roll and 24x30 (I wanted to print 24x24) under "user" i expected to be able to make my own sizes, but no
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up