Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting: Britain wants to ban Airbrushed Images  (Read 18887 times)

Rudy Torres

Interesting: Britain wants to ban Airbrushed Images
« on: August 06, 2009, 12:07:04 am »

Read this article:

http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/2009/08/bri..._airbrushi.html

IMO, I don't think retouched images will ever go away. That's the business of beauty.

ziocan

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 03:01:49 am »

Quote from: Rudy Torres
Read this article:

IMO, I don't think retouched images will ever go away. That's the business of beauty.
To a certain extent, they are right.
images like those of twiggy rewinded 30 years back on her age and hundreds of beauty ads using aged celebrities or even celebrities on their 40ies made look like they were late twenties, should be outlawed, because they are misleading and an offense to the intelligence of the viewer.
Beside, they expose the stupidity of those art directors and client proposing them. Not mentioning the lack of creativity on their part.  
Only a moron or someone who does not know who Twiggy is and to what age she belong, could believe that the lady still look like that for real.
Beside that ads representing overly retouched oldies, end up doing publicity mostly to plastic surgeons.
Old ladies when they see photos like that, simply ask them selves who the surgeon was and how many times she visited him.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 03:04:17 am by ziocan »

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 03:48:04 am »

I don't see a moral distinction between using Photoshop and taking a photograph in the most flattering light and from most flattering angle and with extensive make up. Neither are representative of reality. Photographers were making idealised images long before PS and many of them were hired for that very ability. Nothing has changed.

Besides, I think every young girl in the UK has heard of Photoshop by now and knows what it is capable of.

E_Edwards

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 03:51:45 am »

Here in Britain we have one of the most retrograde governments in the modern western world, so don't give these inept idiots in power any more ammunition to suppress freedom! Our freedoms have been eroded enough through censorship, unnecessary surveillance and draconian laws that are in place to either control us or extricate money.

Fashion photography is all about illusion, dreams, aspiration. But ultimately it's there for the shifting of products, be it cosmetics, clothes, luxury items, accessories or body enhancements. If a magazine was left completely bereft of retouching, no-one would want to buy it, and magazines have enough problems these days as it is. Besides, anyone who buys these magazines does so because it is a form of escapism from the humdrum realities of life.

Personally, I dislike the "airbrush look" I prefer retouched natural, i.e, when you can still see real skin and some of the 'imperfections' and character of the models. But I do like to enhance models with some retouching, the minimum that makes them look good. Anyone who shoots models knows that only a few, very few,  can get away with hardly any retouching.

So what next, ban make up too because it also conceals the real person? And lighting because it obscures and falsifies reality?

Just too keep the sandal wearing 'liberals' happy, just print a little warning inside all magazines that says: "Warning, all images inside this magazine may have been retouched and could cause mild consternation to some of our moronic readers'

Ah, the absurdity of it all!

Edward

stewarthemley

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 04:31:23 am »

I agree, the concept of a ban is stupid almost beyond words and could only come from a politician.

Incidentally, I'm also angered by headlines such as "Britain/USA/China/etc wants..."  Does the whole of Britain want...? They've all been asked, each of them, I'm sure otherwise the New York Fashion Mag/Any Other Sensationalist Crap Mag wouldn't say so, would it.

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 04:34:50 am »

Further thoughts:

Do they want to ban art too? At what point do photos cease to be photos and become Photoshop 'artworks'?
What about CGI models which are already here to a small extent and growing in popularity?
Quick, someone go to the Louvre and burn the Mona Lisa! It might damage young girls' minds - she was actually 6 inches shorter than the painting and had a big mole on her chin.

This image is pure CGI:

cmi

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 04:39:13 am »

Read this article:

Thanks for the article! Its half funny, half frightening. I must admit all the paranoia and backheadedness currently happening worldwide beats me. I see this similar to internet censorship. Generally I say its directed against new things, against changes, against the young generation. Sideeffects of war if you ask me. This wont last.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 05:00:12 am by Christian Miersch »

amsp

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 04:47:32 am »

Quote from: E_Edwards
So what next, ban make up too because it also conceals the real person? And lighting because it obscures and falsifies reality?

Hahaha, well said Edwards. I love how these stupid moral outcries surface every other year or so, and every time they are shocked like it's the first time they ever heard about the concept of retouching. Newsflash, fashion magazines have been retouching photos long, long before the arrival of Photoshop and computers. These are usually the same people who bemoan the models being slim and tall. Do they really think people would buy these magazines if they pictured reality with average Jane & Joe modeling the clothes? Like you said, they are selling a fantasy pure and simple, and most people with half a brain know this. Like you I'm mighty tired of politicians and moral crusaders thinking they know what's best for me. They can all go FCUK themselves if you ask me.  

Cheers

Ryan Grayley

• RGB Arts Ltd
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 05:53:16 am »

The New York Magazine story headline is wildly inaccurate. I think it should have been:
"British politician wants to ban airbrushed adverts aimed at children"

Here is the original press release from the British Liberal Democrat politician Jo Swinson:
http://tinyurl.com/ks24ov

IMO, the BBC reported this story more accurately:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8181499.stm

So in considering the politician's main argument of banning airbrushed adverts aimed at children, perhaps it could be useful to ask a different question:
Is Jo right or wrong in wanting to protect children?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 03:55:52 am by Ionaca »
Ryan Grayley BA IEng MIET ARPS
RGB Arts Ltd, London, UK

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 06:16:32 am »

Quote from: Ionaca
Is Jo right or wrong

She's wrong about a few things. Example: "The focus on women's appearance has got out of hand - no-one really has perfect skin, perfect hair and a perfect figure, but women and young girls increasingly feel that nothing less than thin and perfect will do."

That's just not true. There are stunning women out there, who do have perfect skin and hair and figures and who don't need any retouching at all. I see them every day. Sorry to break the bad news to the women who are complaining!

Retouching doesn't create images of women who are so perfect that they couldn't exist, it merely helps the less fortunate to narrow the gap with the women who have it all. If retouching were banned, it would just mean more work for the better models.

Kitty

• http://
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 06:43:07 am »

Quote from: foto-z
Further thoughts:

Do they want to ban art too? At what point do photos cease to be photos and become Photoshop 'artworks'?
What about CGI models which are already here to a small extent and growing in popularity?
Quick, someone go to the Louvre and burn the Mona Lisa! It might damage young girls' minds - she was actually 6 inches shorter than the painting and had a big mole on her chin.

This image is pure CGI:

erick.boileau

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 07:35:04 am »

I would not be very surprised that such a stupid idea comes in the mind of  Sarkozy  in France , freedoms retrogress

ThierryH

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 07:49:00 am »

it certainly will, if somebody in his entourage awakes this idea in his mind. But then he would have to ban all past, present and future images of his current wife Carla!

Thierry

Quote from: erick.boileau
I would not be very surprised that such a stupid idea comes in the mind of  Sarkozy  in France , freedoms retrogress

erick.boileau

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 08:40:37 am »

I call her Marie-Antoinette  

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 12:04:23 pm »

Ads aimed at Adults often (I believe) feature children because they tend to have better complexions... do they want this to be illegal?

Is it better to enhance photographs or starve models to get the ideal figure?

If an estate agent takes pictures of a house and photoshops them to make it look better or in better decorative order, that is clearly misrepresentation...
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

ced

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2009, 01:58:21 pm »

Mother England is known as a "Nanny State" so what do you expect.
Who cares what makes the merry go round.  
If this will sell products and get the economy up and running again let them airbrush till it looks like plastic.
Why get excited about this trivia.

sergio

• http://www.sergiobartelsman.com
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2009, 03:10:59 pm »

It's just plain illusory stupidity. Nothing else, nothing to worry about.

blansky

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2009, 03:39:28 pm »

In my opinion a number of things are at play here. Using models to advertise products is one thing but some of the ads blatantly say that the product will remove lines etc and show aging models as "proof". That is false advertising. No different from saying that the new car you buy can do 0 to 60 in 3 seconds where in reality it takes 15 seconds. Plainly false statements.

If maybelline or max factor?? wants to show pretty women with their products on that is fine, just don't falsly state that you will magically look like that when you spend your money on them.

The other problem is that there is an absolute epidemic of young girls and young women with extreme body awareness issues. They are bombarded with images of perfect specimens and feel unwanted, unloved and under appreciated because they are in fact "normal". Millions of young women every year have breast augmentation surgery to measure up. They also have facial surgery to "fix" all their perceived problems. They also have body weight issues.

If older women, who by the way should know better, are spending massive amounts of money to look younger, who cares. If they're on their 5 facelift, who cares. But young girls need to feel that they are perfect the way they are, and not be targeted by the endless lust for profit that is so pervasive.

The Dove campaign was a good start, although it has questionable motives, but there should be lots of public awareness campaigns that counter the constant bombardment of these "perfect people" campaigns. And false advertising should be prosecuted.

Michael

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2009, 03:50:22 pm »

Quote from: Ionaca
Is Jo right or wrong in wanting to protect children?

Ah, the catch-all phrase for defending actions which are way out of proportion.

In case you were not trolling, it is the responsibility of parents to teach their children that Twiggy doesn't look like that in real life, or that Pamela Anderson's body is augmented.

Rob C

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2009, 04:19:09 pm »

If you want to censor the image of woman, then best start with the music videos.

Young women have body issues? What an ugly way to put it! Everything today is described as an 'issue' of one sort or another. Beyond being a manifestation of linguistic limitation akin to swearing, it has become so degraded a word to be nearly meaningless. Of course, it´s the fault of my pet hate: political correctness as in the impossibility of calling a spade a spade.

You have fast-food chains selling 'food' in a 'family bucket'; go figure, dear people, what animal you can expect to 'issue' from the orifice of such a regimen, one that still fails to turn its targets off! Why, then, be surprised that excess avoirdupois becomes an international curse?

Frankly, if you wish to find something feminine about which to worry, consider instead the daily insults to the feminine offered by the detergent industry with its thick-as-sh*t housewife smiling happily at the other moronic female that suddenly appears in her home, detergent package in hand, taking over the household as she removes stains in the twinkling if not batting of an eye. Now that is insulting. Maybe they (women) should take issue with that!

But beauty/glamour/sex/ambition/desire, they are all the spots that, once touched, open the doors to the vault. Why would commerce ignore that?

Rob C
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up