Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The latest on 5D Mk2 focussing  (Read 1571 times)

Dorset

The latest on 5D Mk2 focussing
« on: August 04, 2009, 11:37:10 am »

Hi all,

I've been aware of this site for a long while but never contributed before.

I have been having focus lock problems with my 5D Mk2 which I've had for about 2 months; as there have been numerous references to problems around the web, though nothing concrete and well-described that I can find, I wanted to ask exactly what is known and what can be done.

The subjects I have been shooting have been ideal, well-lit with lots of contrast detail that would normally be easy for AF to lock onto. People, flowers, anything really that should be relatively easy for AF to accommodate. Even a sheet of large black-on-white text seems to be a problem at times.

The symptoms I get are that the AF focuses until almost perfect but just blinks at me to say no lock achieved, and I have to keep operating the shutter button to 'nudge' it towards a lock. It's not every time, no, and sometimes it works correctly, but it is a problem enough times to make me think it is worse than my old 1n. It happens both on One Shot, AI Focus and AI Servo, and whatever AF points I select (I mostly use the centre point.)

The lenses I am using are relatively good quality - Tokina ATX PRO series (all f/2.8) and a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM - and worked very well indeed with the 1n.

It is extremely frustrating missing shots because the camera seems unable to lock, even if through the viewfinder it seems almost on the button.

Has Canon admitted any problem with 5D Mk2? Is there a firmware update in the pipeline to address it? I have already installed the update that is available at present.

Thanks all.

Pete Ferling

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 02:49:03 pm »

Are you sure those third party lenses are 100% compatible with the new body?   Have you tried an EF lens?   If you don't have one, then visit a local store that does and test one out.

It's a common issue with third party lenses losing some or all functions with new bodies, and if under warranty, they can usually be fixed by sending them in for reprogramming or a new chip.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 02:51:36 pm by Pete Ferling »

Pete Ferling

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 02:56:39 pm »

To add, I remember having some focus lock issues with a borrowed Sigma 70-200 on my 40D.  I had to go wide to get a new fix, then zoom and follow.  Other times I had to turn off the camera or re-attach the lens.  I asked my friend about that and he told me of the same problems, and upgraded to an EF 100-400.  I was thinking about buying it from him until then... I'm sticking with EF lenses.

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 07:13:48 pm »

It can be much worse than just focus lock with 3rd party lenses. I have a Tokina 19-35 that makes my 40D enter LiveView if I press the shutter button at all, regardless of camera settings. I have other wide angles that cover that whole range anyway, but that Tokina was actually a pretty fun lens for the money, and it's a shame I can't use it now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up