Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7900 Paired Head Cleaning  (Read 3018 times)

rvestal

• http://www.ultimatelightimages.com
Epson 7900 Paired Head Cleaning
« on: August 03, 2009, 11:55:22 am »

I made an interesting observation today and am hoping that others who have the 7900/9900 with the updated firmware can confirm it.

I had a nozzle clog on the orange channel today and rather than doing a complete head cleaning, I decided to do the color pair cleaning from the service menu.  This has been written about by at least two on the web, including the helpful article by Wayne Fox.

When I started the printer in service mode and went to the CL1 cleaning menu, there were NO options for color pair cleaning.  The printer only gave me the option to start a CL1 level clean which appeared to do all color pairs.

After restarting the printer in normal mode, I discovered that the cleaning menu gave the color pair cleaning option and on the next screen gave the selection for the individual color pairs and the cleaning worked.

My firmware version is HN02995, 1.12, A000 and like others have reported I could find no documentation from Epson as to the changes that this firmware version addressed (other than the improved network function).

Could others with the 7900 and the newest firmware check my observations?  Maybe Epson did make some firmware changes to address the cleaning issue but didn't document it.

Thanks, Randy
Randy
 [url=http://www.ultimatelightimage

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 04:10:24 pm »

I just checked this on my 7900, running the same firmware.

The service menu still lists the channel cleans, although they have been relocated to below the initfill option instead of above where they were in the past.

To confirm whether the normal channel cleans have had ANC removed will require someone with two colors clogged in different channels.  Previous to the firmware change cleaning one color would then trigger another clean in this case because ANC would detect a clog.  If they made the change you would  manually clean each of the two channels yourself.  If you only have one color clogged, the printer should just clean that channel ... this could just mean your ANC circuitry is working correctly and didn't trigger an unnecessary clean, but it does not necessarily mean no ANC was performed.  My ANC circuitry has been performing very well .. I've had it set to check before every job and not a single cleaning cycle yet.

Fortunately I can't test this myself, as my 7900 had no clogs again today (over 1 month since a clog, very intermittent use).  Perhaps someone who finds themselves with colors in separate channels clogged can report what the printer does not when performing single channel cleans after the firmware update.

So as it stands right now, the official word from epson is this feature has not changed in the firmware update since it is not mentioned in the release notes.  However we know they were working on it, and something was done in the ANC/cleaning menu in service mode, so perhaps this is in there and they just didn't officially document it.

Ryan Grayley

• RGB Arts Ltd
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 07:05:05 pm »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
Fortunately I can't test this myself, as my 7900 had no clogs again today (over 1 month since a clog, very intermittent use).  Perhaps someone who finds themselves with colors in separate channels clogged can report what the printer does not when performing single channel cleans after the firmware update.

I am also running the firmware mentioned above.

Unlike Wayne, I get minor clogs almost every time I (intermittently) switch on. If I only have one nozzle missing for a particular colour I ignore it and print anyway. Even using a loupe, I have so far been unable to detect any banding or other print defect if a single nozzle is not working. However, if I have more than one nozzle missing for any colour, I don't take any chances and I clean colour pairs using CL1 in service mode.

Today a nozzle pattern revealed that three colours each had  two or three missing nozzles. So I ran a CL1 pair clean for one single colour pair at a time and between each clean I printed a test pattern. I ran through this sequence for each broken colour and each time the CL1 pair cleaning cleared that chosen colour but didn't attempt anything else. The final result was fully functional nozzles. I don't know if the result would be the same if I had tried this in normal mode.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 06:54:09 am by Ionaca »
Ryan Grayley BA IEng MIET ARPS
RGB Arts Ltd, London, UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up