Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Annie Liebovitz  (Read 9958 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Annie Liebovitz
« on: July 31, 2009, 04:12:09 am »

I seem to recall that her deal for credit was discussed here a few months ago. This is from today's Daily Telegraph.

Jeremy

Geoff Wittig

Annie Liebovitz
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 08:50:45 pm »

Quote from: kikashi
I seem to recall that her deal for credit was discussed here a few months ago. This is from today's Daily Telegraph.

Jeremy

Wow. $24 million.
I mean, really. How could one go that far in debt? A truckload of Hasselblad H3's with every lens and all the goodies wouldn't even scratch the paint on it.
"Expensive tastes"?
I can't even get my head around it.

Gary Brown

Annie Liebovitz
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 09:32:43 pm »

Here's a more detailed article about it in The New York Times: Lender Sues Annie Leibovitz, Seeking Her Homes to Pay $24 Million Debt

Gary Brown

Annie Liebovitz
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 07:36:33 am »

The New York Times has another story today: For Annie Leibovitz, a Fuzzy Financial Picture:

"So as the news has spread in recent months that Ms. Leibovitz is facing extraordinary financial troubles, with the possibility of losing her Civil War-era town houses in Greenwich Village, a home in upstate New York and the rights to decades of her work, many have formulated the same questions: How is this possible? How could an artist of her standing be in such financial straits? If Annie Leibovitz can’t make it in New York, who can?"

Jeremy Payne

Annie Liebovitz
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 07:52:29 am »

deleted
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 09:36:10 am by Jeremy Payne »

Rob C

Annie Liebovitz
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 05:44:24 pm »

Quote from: Gary Brown
The New York Times has another story today: For Annie Leibovitz, a Fuzzy Financial Picture:

"So as the news has spread in recent months that Ms. Leibovitz is facing extraordinary financial troubles, with the possibility of losing her Civil War-era town houses in Greenwich Village, a home in upstate New York and the rights to decades of her work, many have formulated the same questions: How is this possible? How could an artist of her standing be in such financial straits? If Annie Leibovitz can’t make it in New York, who can?"

Who, beyond the lady herself, can answer such questions? An uninformed guess would suggest that some people just believe their own hype and live up to the dream and not the reality. Just like some bankers seem to have done. For what it´s worth, I feel that too much credit is sometimes available and, that in some instances, the lenders are as gullible as their clients: star-blinded, in fact.

Rob C

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Annie Liebovitz
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 10:33:46 am »

Quote from: Geoff Wittig
Wow. $24 million.
I mean, really. How could one go that far in debt? A truckload of Hasselblad H3's with every lens and all the goodies wouldn't even scratch the paint on it.
"Expensive tastes"?
I can't even get my head around it.

FWIW it is not uncommon for very successful people to lose track of money. Someone I consulted for, who became a friend, had earnings that very very few obtain. I don’t want to mention numbers. He was generous to a fault. He was a gifted surgeon and took on countless cases that paid little or nothing. But because he was gifted, he made a vast fortune despite his generosity.

Over his career he bought many properties and businesses and their cash flow combined with his earnings gave him a cash flow that was impressive, to say the least. A combination of his generous nature, plus what turned out to be decades of bad management, theft he endured, bad luck, and all the things that can go wrong, did ultimately go wrong. But if he ever cared he never showed it, because his earnings were so great.

He became very ill due to cancer, and that caused him to be unable to work. That was the tipping point for him and his cash flow dried up quickly. Adding to that, he fell into the hands of both incompetent and dishonest assistants (lawyers and his managers) and years of mis-management that were never revealed due to his income. In the end, he lost the vast majority of what he had. It was all his fault, and I believe he never saw it coming.

The reason I mention this is that it is not uncommon for successful (read that wealthy) people to lose track of their wealth. If something becomes as common as water, people will share it increasingly, thinking that they are invincible.

It appears that she likely fell into at least some of the same issues as my friend (who has passed on). I don’t know if she became ill, but it wouldn’t be surprising to suspect that she suffered from burnout. Combine a reduction of cash flow, with decades of expenses based on a very high income and a tendency towards generosity and the results are foreseeable.

The good news is that as long as she stays healthy, according to the article I read, she will have no problem pulling herself out.

The lessons are clear: beware of being too generous and try not to over-extend yourself.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 11:15:55 am by Justan »

Rob C

Annie Liebovitz
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 01:53:04 pm »

Funny thing: each time I play the dvd with the Annie interview (by her sister) I feel more and more sympathy for the lady. Far from coming on à la diva she sounds perfectly grounded and speaks plain sense.  I always get the same urge to start working afresh (seen the dvd about five or six times now) and particularly during the bits where she works with her Nikon or Leica. I´m sure it isn´t really about her photography with those things, but more the trace memory they inspire, albeit sans the Leica input, as I never owned one.

How sad to see her having troubles. I wish her well.

Rob C
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 01:56:34 pm by Rob C »

alainbriot

• http://www.beautiful-landscape.com
Annie Liebovitz
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 06:36:44 pm »

Quote from: Rob C
Funny thing: each time I play the dvd with the Annie interview (by her sister) I feel more and more sympathy for the lady. Far from coming on à la diva she sounds perfectly grounded and speaks plain sense.  I always get the same urge to start working afresh (seen the dvd about five or six times now) and particularly during the bits where she works with her Nikon or Leica. I´m sure it isn´t really about her photography with those things, but more the trace memory they inspire, albeit sans the Leica input, as I never owned one.

How sad to see her having troubles. I wish her well.

Rob C

Rob,

Her work is fantastic.  What is the title of the DVD you have?

Alain
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 06:37:25 pm by alainbriot »
Alain Briot
Author of Mastering Landscape Photography
http://www.beautiful-landscape.com

Rob C

Annie Liebovitz
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 04:08:29 am »

Quote from: alainbriot
Rob,

Her work is fantastic.  What is the title of the DVD you have?

Alain

Alain, I recorded it off a BBC TV show. It's an interview made by her sister and includes contributions from the head of Rolling Stone, Tina Brown, Anna Wintour and several others of that stature. I´ll run it again and catch the title, but I don´t think it is on release in the shops.

Rob C

Kumar

• http://www.bskumarphotography.com
Annie Liebovitz
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 05:26:04 am »

Annie Leibovitz: Life Through a Lens

Kumar

EdRosch

Annie Liebovitz
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 07:04:15 am »

NPR (National Public Radio) did a story about this.  Briefly, she invested in several New York town houses in a trendy area, was renovating them, got sued and things snowballed from there.  In addition, within the last five years, her long time partner, Susan Sontag, died as well as both her parents and she added two children to her family.  Given the consistent quality of her photographic output during this time, I suspect the posters who commented that her mind was focused    elsewhere than her money hit the nail squarely.

It does go to emphasize the fact that success, wealth, and talent are no protection.  In reality we're all working without a net, to use a tightrope analogy, and need to keep that in mind when we decide to jump on 'good' ideas and 'sure' things.

Gary Brown

Annie Liebovitz
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 07:30:35 am »

Here's a Bloomberg story: Leibovitz May Have Better Luck in Bankruptcy Court

“Celebrity photographer Annie Leibovitz may be better off declaring bankruptcy than battling a creditor suing her for breaching a contract related to a $24 million loan, bankruptcy experts said.”

Rob C

Annie Liebovitz
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 11:09:22 am »

Quote from: Kumar
Annie Leibovitz: Life Through a Lens

Kumar

That´s the one!

Rob C

alainbriot

Annie Liebovitz
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 11:36:37 am »

Quote from: Rob C
That´s the one!

Rob C

Here's the link to Amazon US:
Life Through a Lens (2007)
Alain Briot
Author of Mastering Landscape Photography
http://www.beautiful-landscape.com

MelHill

Annie Liebovitz
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2009, 10:01:52 am »

I ran into Annie while on vacation this past December and All I can say is that she is not a nice person.
I saw her walking alone (heading to a parking lot) and I said I was a fan and held out my hand.
She looked up at me and then kept walking.  She did not seem to be in a hurry, have her hands full etc.
She just left me hanging there with my hand out.

Love her work but not her style...

Chris_T

Annie Liebovitz
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2009, 10:52:13 am »

Quote from: MelHill
I ran into Annie while on vacation this past December and All I can say is that she is not a nice person.
I saw her walking alone (heading to a parking lot) and I said I was a fan and held out my hand.
She looked up at me and then kept walking.  She did not seem to be in a hurry, have her hands full etc.

I like some of her work, and recommeded her book "At Work":

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....mp;#entry273039

But her work, her books and her shows never led me to expect her to be a "nice person" I would like to meet. Besides, when in the public eyes, only the most genuine and the bravest would expose their true selves. And there are not many of them.

OTOH, many great photographers do let their work express their values and personalities. I never get that feeling from AL's work.

Rob C

Annie Liebovitz
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2009, 04:13:22 am »

Mel, did it ever occur to you that she might have been terrified of being mugged?

Rob C

daws

Annie Liebovitz
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2009, 05:37:31 pm »

Assuming the poster is serious and his post isn't a tongue-in-cheek joke...

A female celebrity, walking alone near a parking lot, is approached by a male stranger who claims he's a fan and who wants to shake hands. The woman makes eye contact, says nothing, and continues walking.

Any cop would tell you she did exactly the right thing in that situation. Make eye contact, give the guy a glare that says "Get the fuck away," keep walking, and have your mace spray in your hand.

As to the poster's conclusion that Liebovitz' refusal to do what he wanted makes her "not a nice person"...

Nahh, it's gotta be a joke. Nobody could seriously be that self-absorbed.

...Could they?  
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 05:38:01 pm by daws »

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
Annie Liebovitz
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2009, 08:10:54 pm »

Sadly, it looks like the noose is tightening.
~ CB
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up