Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Euro Rail Traveller  (Read 2243 times)

mike.online

• http://mikedotonline.blogspot.com
Euro Rail Traveller
« on: July 30, 2009, 07:20:00 pm »

Hi All,

Got this picture in the Train Station in Marseilles, France. I really loved the sense of style and the body language present in the image. Would like to hear what you all thought.

30D, ISO640, F/3.5, 28mm

Color
[attachment=15805:mme_5168.jpg]

B&W
[attachment=15806:mme_5168_2.jpg]

popnfresh

Euro Rail Traveller
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 07:31:40 pm »

The lighting is very unusual. Is the person being lit by an overhead streetlight? Against the bluish light of dusk in the background, it makes her really pop out. It seems like the shot was white-balanced for her and the background lighting shifted towards blue.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 07:34:24 pm by popnfresh »

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
Euro Rail Traveller
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 01:12:13 am »

I like the color version much better.  The one thing that bothers me is the horizontal line "impaling" her head.  Perhaps this couldn't be helped if you were snapping a quick shot, but I would've either moved camera position or used a shallower DOF so that the line is blurred.  Otherwise, it' a very interesting street portrait.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Euro Rail Traveller
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 04:05:57 am »

Quote from: mike.online
Got this picture in the Train Station in Marseilles, France. I really loved the sense of style and the body language present in the image. Would like to hear what you all thought.
[attachment=15805:mme_5168.jpg]
I much prefer the colour version, but the sky looks unnaturally intense. Could you perhaps decrease the saturation a little?

Jeremy

alangubbay

Euro Rail Traveller
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 04:32:55 am »

Quote from: jasonrandolph
I like the color version much better.  The one thing that bothers me is the horizontal line "impaling" her head.  Perhaps this couldn't be helped if you were snapping a quick shot, but I would've either moved camera position or used a shallower DOF so that the line is blurred.  Otherwise, it' a very interesting street portrait.

I like it.  Surely it would be very easy to remove some of that horizontal line "impaling" her head and considerably improve the picture.

francois

Euro Rail Traveller
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 05:58:58 am »

Same as others... I like the color version very much. The sky is not so good in the B/W, I find the whole photo too flat in B/W.
The intense blue color doesn't shock me but the large beam that goes across the head of the subject is disturbing. I would try to "move" the lines and beam up. It should be too difficult.

The position of the subject and the train in motion (slightly blurred) on the left combined with the low point of view is very pleasant, a good photo, congratulations.
Francois

mike.online

• http://mikedotonline.blogspot.com
Euro Rail Traveller
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 07:21:52 am »

Thank you all for your kind words and criticisms. One question I have it I wonder how you would go about shifting the horizonal beam upwards. To do so I would think that I would need to move pretty much all of the powerlines, or remove all of them entirely. Given that they are all connected it does not seem like a viable option to move just one without killing the realism. Thoughts ?

Peter McLennan

Euro Rail Traveller
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 01:19:45 pm »

Quote from: mike.online
... how you would go about shifting the horizonal beam upwards. To do so I would think that I would need to move pretty much all of the powerlines, or remove all of them entirely. Given that they are all connected it does not seem like a viable option to move just one without killing the realism. Thoughts ?

You're right.  Once you start, there's nowhere to stop.  I normally hate power lines and clone 'em out fanatically.  In this case, I think the image is enhanced by them.  They're well positioned in the composition and part of the story.

The sky is great.  Leave it saturated blue.

I might even go to work on the train and add to the motion blur.  What little blur there is definitely works; more might be better.

Pages: [1]   Go Up