Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: White Heron  (Read 5373 times)

Rob C

White Heron
« on: July 30, 2009, 05:34:48 pm »

So you dig leggy birds, Michael?

Rob C

cmi

White Heron
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 05:37:38 pm »

It's glowing so nicely.

urbanpicasso

• davidbogdan/urbanpicassostudios
White Heron
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 11:06:02 pm »

Excellent!  I'm not a bird freak, by any stretch, but I must say that this is one eye catching image....Can I get a hint of equipment?

davidbogdan

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
White Heron
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 02:19:35 am »

Nice egret!  Which is sort of almost a heron...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Rob C

White Heron
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 11:15:07 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl
Nice egret!  Which is sort of almost a heron...

Mike.

This is something along the lines of Paula Prentiss's "semi-virgin" in What´s New, Pussycat? Amazing alchemy, the internet; my mind is broadening by the day.

Rob C

framah

White Heron
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 01:08:25 pm »

Actually, it IS a White Heron. A Snowy Egret would have a black bill and yellow/orange feet where the White Heron has a yellow/orange bill and black feet  which this does.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Richowens

White Heron
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 01:51:25 pm »

Actually it is a Great Egret.

Patuxent

Geoff Samuels

• http://web.me.com/geoffsamuels
White Heron
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 02:01:44 pm »

This is starting to remind me of the SNL routine - "Shimmer is a dessert topping. No, it's a floor wax!"     The scientific name for this bird is Casmerodius albus but it has a stack of common names. I've found Great Egret, Great White Egret, Common Egret, American Egret, White Heron and Great White Heron (and I'm sure there are more). Here in South Florida the name Great White Heron usually refers to a different bird entirely, a white morph of the Great Blue Heron.

I've not tried to upload photos before but I'm going to try to attach photos of a Great Egret, a Snowy Egret (Egretta thula) and Cattle Egrets (Bubulcus ibis) that I snapped on the south end of Pine Island, an island off the Gulf Coast of Florida.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 02:04:32 pm by geoffsamuels »
Geoff Samuels
"World Domination Through

Rob C

White Heron
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 02:46:42 pm »

Quote from: geoffsamuels
This is starting to remind me of the SNL routine - "Shimmer is a dessert topping. No, it's a floor wax!"     The scientific name for this bird is Casmerodius albus but it has a stack of common names. I've found Great Egret, Great White Egret, Common Egret, American Egret, White Heron and Great White Heron (and I'm sure there are more). Here in South Florida the name Great White Heron usually refers to a different bird entirely, a white morph of the Great Blue Heron.

I've not tried to upload photos before but I'm going to try to attach photos of a Great Egret, a Snowy Egret (Egretta thula) and Cattle Egrets (Bubulcus ibis) that I snapped on the south end of Pine Island, an island off the Gulf Coast of Florida.

Very intersting, as they used to say on Rowan and Martin, but I only have your word for it, Geoff; you might be seeing a bird of a different colour. The bird Michael likes is clearly the one he photographed and as you know, one man´s meat...

Personally, I´m getting too old to worry unduly about birds; I have more immediate problems like worrying about whether to let the remaining thatch on my nut grow longer, with the eventual aim of creating a rather thin ponytail or, taking the challenge to the barber and having him take the razor to me.

Oh for the simple life!

Rob C

framah

White Heron
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 02:58:35 pm »

Rob... Let it grow and then just comb it forward like "The Donald" does!!
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

framah

White Heron
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 03:05:22 pm »

After a more thorough inspection of the photo and of other stock images, I have to agree with Richowens and change my answer to Great Egret.  The colors at the base of the bill more closely match the Great Egret than the White Heron.    

Either way, nice shot!!

Rob C

White Heron
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 03:13:48 pm »

Quote from: framah
Rob... Let it grow and then just comb it forward like "The Donald" does!!

Combing forward: ah for an ideal world!

My Beatle stage was when the Beatles were going through the Beatle stage. There ain´t much to power forward but perhaps enough to create a small wake.

The Donald is a character(?) beyond my ken. Sorry to be such a dumb ass, but it ain´t an ideal world;  I indicated that when I came in.

Rob C

framah

White Heron
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 04:51:53 pm »

Sorry 'bout that... "The Donald" is Donald Trump... he with the weird hair.

My plan is to let my pony tail grow and have a wig made from it so when someone asks if it is my own hair or a wig, I can say, "Yes, it is."

Rob C

White Heron
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2009, 05:22:51 am »

Quote from: framah
Sorry 'bout that... "The Donald" is Donald Trump... he with the weird hair.

My plan is to let my pony tail grow and have a wig made from it so when someone asks if it is my own hair or a wig, I can say, "Yes, it is."

Never thought of that when there was a point in thinking about it; guess that´s why Mr T is rich and I decidedly am not!

Cheers

Rob C

Ray

White Heron
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 11:27:19 am »

You've gotta admit though, Michael's heron is something special. It's not just sitting there. It's got a sense of purpose and forward movement against a diagonal background which tends to emphasis such movement and is compositionally interesting.

Another great shot.

Rob C

White Heron
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2009, 11:53:41 am »

Quote from: Ray
You've gotta admit though, Michael's heron is something special. It's not just sitting there. It's got a sense of purpose and forward movement against a diagonal background which tends to emphasis such movement and is compositionally interesting.

Another great shot.

Agreed, Ray, and those grey silk stockings right up to heaven are simply to die for, I´m told.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up