Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica S2 Pricing  (Read 86528 times)

Streetshooter

Leica S2 Pricing
« Reply #240 on: September 11, 2009, 05:16:32 am »

Quote from: bcooter
We've all had the meetings, the e-mails, "make sure you show color, that it holds highlights, detail, yea gotta show detail, and do something different like Cuba and boxing but instead of real boxers, do a pretty woman in boxing gloves, but not too provocative so put her in a dress ......."

I doubt if it's the photorapher's fault, he/she is probably pretty good, but It's just typical restrained, overmanaged advertising.    It doesn't get it's point across, it doesn't show anything different, heck it doesn't really showcase the uniqueness of the camera.

Thing is they want to sell this camera to photographers who work hard to have no restraints and you could easily pick a dozen or two or three good photographers that without all the chatter would produced some outstanding imagery with this or any camera.

I don't see the point but God help me, I do understand the process.

BC

Well I too looked at those pictures and thought that they could have been taken with with a D300 and not the S2. How could anyone tell from those images the quality of an S2 file? Also why go to Cuba. What a waste of money, a pointless exercise. They could have saved the money and taken it off the cost of the camera.

But then you see, I realise the niche that these cameras are aimed at are not your every day working professional but the well off amateur/dentist/lawyer photographer. Maybe they will be impressed by the images and believe that everytime you pick up the S2 you are transported to a land of sunshine and shiny models....

Pete

bcooter

Leica S2 Pricing
« Reply #241 on: September 11, 2009, 12:12:27 pm »

Quote from: rogan
When I hear these "has beens" shilling it makes me run the other way.

+1

asf

• http://www.adamfriedberg.com
Leica S2 Pricing
« Reply #242 on: September 11, 2009, 12:19:40 pm »

Quote from: bcooter
We've all had the meetings, the e-mails, "make sure ...

BC

And how many people here do you really think can sympathize?

bcooter

Leica S2 Pricing
« Reply #243 on: September 11, 2009, 12:21:13 pm »

Quote from: asf
And how many people here do you really think can sympathize?

Only about 6 I know of.

BC

Nemo

Leica S2 Pricing
« Reply #244 on: October 19, 2009, 11:37:03 am »

Interesting video of the camera working...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5jJdmCSS0M

BJNY

Leica S2 Pricing
« Reply #245 on: October 19, 2009, 12:04:18 pm »

Quote from: gwhitf
All he [Seal] needs now is a sweater wrapped around his shoulders......

GW, you nailed it...see first segment before S2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5jJdmCSS0M
Guillermo

Nemo

Leica S2 Pricing
« Reply #246 on: October 19, 2009, 12:07:27 pm »

The S2 is postponed until december 2009...

http://www.bjp-online.com/public/showPage.html?page=870175

« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 01:57:38 pm by Nemo »

BJNY

Leica S2 Pricing
« Reply #247 on: October 19, 2009, 12:12:56 pm »

Quote from: Nemo
The S2 is postponer until december 2009...

No surprise...more likely they're STILL sorting out firmware.
Guillermo

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
Leica S2 Pricing
« Reply #248 on: October 19, 2009, 12:18:42 pm »

The S2 is postponer until december 2009...

Delayed due to unanticipated interest in the camera.  Right !

Personally, I still believe that this camera will be the best stillborn photo product of our generation.

I think it was a major tactical misstep for Leica  (regardless of its potential)  and will never achieve the necessary sales required to recover R & D investment
regardless of the spin that is suggested in the BJP report.

Mark

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Leica S2 Pricing
« Reply #249 on: October 19, 2009, 03:31:24 pm »

I think they should get a new sensor pronto before they release this thing.

Edmund

Quote from: mtomalty
Delayed due to unanticipated interest in the camera.  Right !

Personally, I still believe that this camera will be the best stillborn photo product of our generation.

I think it was a major tactical misstep for Leica  (regardless of its potential)  and will never achieve the necessary sales required to recover R & D investment
regardless of the spin that is suggested in the BJP report.

Mark
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

stevesanacore

Leica S2 Pricing
« Reply #250 on: October 19, 2009, 04:17:35 pm »

Quote from: eronald

Edmund

We as photographers know that MP is not everything, but try telling that to a geeky art director who is still thinking in terms of 300dpi while making an image for an airport display! How I wish the new S2 was 60MP instead of 37.

We don't know what we don't know.

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
Leica S2 Pricing
« Reply #251 on: October 19, 2009, 04:22:07 pm »

Why ?

I,briefly, tried the camera a couple of weeks ago and found nothing really lacking in the file.
Files were excellent but no better that Leaf,Phase, or Hasselblad.

In use, the camera, physically, felt more comfortable than any other 645 based body I've owned or used.

I just don't think they are going to sell enough to sustain the line.

Certainly can't see many, if any, migrants from existing entrenched DB systems and while there are certainly  going to
be a few Leica personalities buying into in, because that is what they do.

There seemed to be a little groundswell early on from M / R users, with no medium format experience,  who wanted the best possible file
but with the surprise release of the FF M9 many now seem to have re-allocated funds to the M line.

We'll see.

Mark

TMARK

Leica S2 Pricing
« Reply #252 on: October 19, 2009, 04:33:24 pm »

Quote from: stevesanacore
We as photographers know that MP is not everything, but try telling that to a geeky art director who is still thinking in terms of 300dpi while making an image for an airport display! How I wish the new S2 was 60MP instead of 37.

Don't worry, that geeky art director who was reared on print will be let go and replaced by a nerdy AD who was raised on the web.  The bad part is that guy may shoot the images himself.

I've never been asked for files larger than a 22mpix camera provides.

pschefz

Leica S2 Pricing
« Reply #253 on: October 19, 2009, 04:42:27 pm »

Quote from: stevesanacore

the airport lightbox/print display? slightly better then billboard quality print? with penny size dots?
or the lcd display which is fed by a 1000x1500 sRGB jpg 9 compression?
yes the 60mp really are necessary....
schefz.com
artloch.com

pschefz

Leica S2 Pricing
« Reply #254 on: October 19, 2009, 04:55:09 pm »

Quote from: TMARK
Don't worry, that geeky art director who was reared on print will be let go and replaced by a nerdy AD who was raised on the web.  The bad part is that guy may shoot the images himself.

I've never been asked for files larger than a 22mpix camera provides.

...on his cellphone...and spends the photographer budget on post production....

i think a couple of years ago some ADs were not sure about digital...they knew film and heard from photographers who were afraid of digital that film was just much better....then they started getting into it and reading PDN and seeing the latest and greatest toys (mostly DMF)....then they worked with people who knew digital and saw what can be done with DSLR (which had gotten so much better).....i think a smart AD will now question if that DMF rental/expense is actually justified in the budget.....

right now any AD wants the RED...not because it is so great but because they have read about it in blogs....and how great it is...for stills as well....that a still from a red is really about equal to a entry level DSLR for less then 1000$ really does not matter.....and editorials and billboards and airport displays and movie posters are printed from a smallish (24.4x13.7mm or a tad more then HALF 35mm) sensor with limited (12mpix) resolution.....

schefz.com
artloch.com

BJL

Leica S2 Pricing
« Reply #255 on: October 19, 2009, 05:17:28 pm »

The S2 is postponed until december 2009...
Amazingly optimistic spin by BJP:

Fact: a product promised for this month is now not coming until later; either December or early next year, depending on which source you read.
BJP Interpretation: this refutes the cynical suggestion that the S2 is ghost product (as in "lots of talk, but no cameras for sale").

I would have thought that a last minute postponement adds a tad of support to that cynical position, rather than refuting it.

Still I do expect the S2 to appear some day, maybe about the same time as the Pentax 645D.

Hywel

• http://www.restrainedelegance.com
Leica S2 Pricing
« Reply #256 on: October 19, 2009, 05:43:20 pm »

Quote from: BJL
Fact: a product promised for this month is now not coming until later; either December or early next year, depending on which source you read.

Maybe they've delayed it until someone actually orders one?    

Hywel.

PeterA

Leica S2 Pricing
« Reply #257 on: October 19, 2009, 06:36:31 pm »

Quote from: Streetshooter
Well I too looked at those pictures and thought that they could have been taken with with a D300 and not the S2. How could anyone tell from those images the quality of an S2 file? Also why go to Cuba. What a waste of money, a pointless exercise. They could have saved the money and taken it off the cost of the camera.

But then you see, I realise the niche that these cameras are aimed at are not your every day working professional but the well off amateur/dentist/lawyer photographer. Maybe they will be impressed by the images and believe that everytime you pick up the S2 you are transported to a land of sunshine and shiny models....

Pete

Better to sell a mythology and a look and feel to people who buy that - than compete in a crowded utilitarian  space.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 10:48:44 pm by PeterA »

cyberean

Leica S2 Pricing
« Reply #258 on: October 19, 2009, 07:24:50 pm »

Quote from: PeterA
Get your sense of humours back and be a bit more charitable - this is all discretioanary expenditure. the LAST thing Leica should do is try and compete against PhaMyaBlad and bring our a new whiz bang chip every 6 months with some new whizz bang features that the whiz bang rental shops have to buy because the Whiz bang AD earning peanuts and paying peanuts to pros really really must have.
i thought a "whizz" is what one does when nature calls ...  

ced

Leica S2 Pricing
« Reply #259 on: October 20, 2009, 04:50:10 am »

Screwed on the other side of the pond too...
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up