Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One production numbers - doing well!  (Read 6672 times)

narikin

Phase One production numbers - doing well!
« on: July 29, 2009, 03:31:32 pm »

I was fortunate enough to have three P65+ pass through my hands recently, and the latest one, a Mamiya fit, from last week seemed to have a production # that indicated about 500 so far produced in this fit.
add to that the H fit, (guessing that at 60-70% of M fit) and Contax fit etc, and I'd say Phase have almost sold 1000 of these backs so far worldwide. at min $35000+ per kit, that's $35million....
then remember the more affordable and differently targeted P40+ and P30+ which have been very successful in their own market position, and its not looking so bad for Phase.

Capture One also seems to have brought itself back from death, and is once again the RAW processor benchmark in terms of quality, and I'd imagine they are making good sales of that to Canon & Nikon owners to help their costs.

All this is just guessing, of course, but to me it looks like Phase are doing well in the market, and that plenty of people are willing to pony up for the P65+ class leader.

amsp

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 04:35:24 pm »

I'm not exactly surprised, internet forums are rarely a good indication of reality. By the way some of the self professed experts have been going on here lately you'd think the world was coming to an end and that everyone who ever bought a DB because they wanted one of their many advantages now for some reason thought CaNikon was good enough. Thankfully the world is bigger and more diverse than that. I for one have been thinking more about buying a large format camera to use my DB on lately than upgrading to the latest DSLR.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 04:37:30 pm by amsp »

ThierryH

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 05:04:06 pm »

FYI: "production numbers" do not necessarily (rarely in my experience) indicate the amount of the corresponding product manufactured, or at least not in a logical numeration. I would be very careful with such numbers.

Best regards,
Thierry

Quote from: narikin
... and the latest one, a Mamiya fit, from last week seemed to have a production # that indicated about 500 so far produced in this fit.
add to that the H fit, (guessing that at 60-70% of M fit) and Contax fit etc, and I'd say Phase have almost sold 1000 of these backs so far worldwide. at min $35000+ per kit, that's $35million....

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 06:00:44 pm »

Most people wouldn't want to have 000001 on their camera,unless you are a collector.
I doubt also that the first P65+ was numbered 00001 or 1 for that matter.
Who cares anyway,as long as the thing works,that the only thing that matters for me.
Best,
Willem.
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 06:24:00 pm »

Actually I think they start at 100 but that needs to be confirmed.
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

etrump

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 11:02:23 pm »

I'm not sure what the production and/or serial number means but I just got my P65+ that has been on order for over 2 months.  

I suspect their backlog is due more to sensor availability than anything.  No telling how many of these they have in the queue.

Ed Cooley
 [url=http://www.whiteri

narikin

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 10:53:28 am »

Quote from: Guy Mancuso

even if that's true, its still 400+ units sold so far in Mamiya fit alone...  pretty good going for the most expensive back on the market in the this climate.

narikin

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 10:55:19 am »

Quote from: etrump
I'm not sure what the production and/or serial number means but I just got my P65+ that has been on order for over 2 months.  

I suspect their backlog is due more to sensor availability than anything.  No telling how many of these they have in the queue.

what fit is it?
the last 3 digits give you the production # and thus a ball-park estimate of how many have been made...

TorbenEskerod

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 11:03:12 am »

Quote from: Guy Mancuso

I once had a back with no. 26, my current P45+ is no. 104  - so I think they actually start at no. 1

etrump

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 12:56:02 pm »

Quote from: narikin
what fit is it?
the last 3 digits give you the production # and thus a ball-park estimate of how many have been made...

Mamiya mount last 3 digits 527.  Shipped from Denmark last week.  

Pretty significant changes from the P45 I upgraded.  I could hand hold the P45 at 1/focal length.  With the extra detail and sharpness of the P65 you need faster shutter to get the same sharpness at 100% view which kind of makes sense.

Ed Cooley

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 03:28:43 pm »

Could be.  My system complete with p65+. PhaseOne camera and a couple of lenses is being shipped today.  I believe it was around 2-3 months ago I placed the order.

I don't know if ordering a back for my current H1 system would have been any faster (the lenses were the last thing to arrive).

narikin

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 05:31:52 pm »

Mamiya mount last 3 digits 527.  Shipped from Denmark last week.
exactly!  
the one I got two weeks ago was #494, so they seem to be making about 15 a week? and that's just the Mamiya fit P65 -
there's also the possibility that more Hassy users are out there than Mamiya...

who says there's no money in MF digital?!

Mort54

• http://
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 05:51:44 pm »

Many manufacturers don't start numbering their products at 00001, simply because they don't want to give away their production numbers. They pick an arbitrary, oftentimes random, starting number.
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

etrump

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 05:56:10 pm »

Quote from: Mort54
Many manufacturers don't start numbering their products at 00001, simply because they don't want to give away their production numbers. They pick an arbitrary, oftentimes random, starting number.

Regardless, they have a waiting list of 2-3 months so they are obviously moving them.  Otherwise we would be taking delivery from stock.  

Ed Cooley

O.Ricter

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 04:57:51 am »

Regardless, they have a waiting list of 2-3 months so they are obviously moving them.  Otherwise we would be taking delivery from stock.

Phase One has sold 1 x p65+ in Denmark and 4 in Sweden so far!

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 12:51:10 pm »

Quote from: O.Ricter
Phase One has sold 1 x p65+ in Denmark and 4 in Sweden so far!

Care to cite a source for that information?

asf

• http://www.adamfriedberg.com
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 04:44:02 pm »

Does Phase actually run serial numbers according to the mount? How could that work?  

Am I reading the OP correctly in his thinking? There are 500+ afd mounts starting at SN 1 (or 100) and then another 300 V mounts and 100 H mounts, all of them starting at SN 1 ?

« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 07:30:59 pm by asf »

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 06:34:46 pm »

Quote from: asf
Does Phase actually run serial numbers according to the mount? How could that work?  

Am I reading the OP correctly in his thinking? There are 500+ afd mounts starting at SN 1 (or 100) and then another 300 V mounts and 100 H mounts, all of them starting at SN 1 ?

And for the Phase reps/dealers - you obviously know how the numbering system works but choose to police the thread when someone else says the sales aren't super extra marvelous?

At least ThierryH was unbiased in his correction of Sinar mis-information.

Phase One has a two letter prefix for each model+mount combination. For instance for the 65+
  P65+ for Hasselblad V/Mamiya RZ: EH
  P65+ for Hasselblad H: EI
  P65+ for Contax 645AF: EK
  P65+ for Phase One/Mamiya 645AFD EJ
  P65+ for Rollei 6008 (numbered same as a V mount)

I don't personally know how the 65+ are being numbered.

I will say our dealership's sales of 65+ units has been robust and IMO the fact that Phase was able to front the R+D and upfront-chip-purchase to produce the only shipping 60 megapixel model, as well as the fact they this year purchased controlling interest of Mamiya and purchased Leaf (the initial purchase price may have been low, but it obligates the joint company to spend "integration" costs) speaks volumes about Phase's current financial position.

In bad times it is a strong trend to paint many companies with the same brush. But despite the gloom and doom on this board I think there is every reason to believe the current and the future is very bright for Phase One. There will always be a market for those that want the absolute best and are willing to pay for it.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 07:23:16 pm by dougpetersonci »

asf

• http://www.adamfriedberg.com
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 06:58:59 pm »

Thank you

So would there be a EH103 and EI103, as well as EK103 and EJ103? Any Phase rep know that?

« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 07:27:45 pm by asf »

bcooter

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2009, 01:29:15 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
In bad times it is a strong trend to paint many companies with the same brush. But despite the gloom and doom on this board I think there is every reason to believe the current and the future is very bright for Phase One. There will always be a market for those that want the absolute best and are willing to pay for it.

Doug,

Actually most of the doom and gloom I see comes from the recent  press releases on Leaf, F+H, Sinar/Jeoptik, Mamiya.  

It's not the customer that closed or allowed these brands to be absorbed into other companies, it's the medium format companies there own self that pulled out the red brushes and painted that picture.

Sinar had a good product, always waiting software and the worst marketing on the planet, Mamiya, well we've talked about that, Leaf ran off a lot of good customers with LC10 and reliability issues  (your company knows that as well as anyone) and F+H is kind of like the Leica (I think that rhymes) in the fact they brought a very expensive camera to market without all the lenses in place and nothing in professional rental.

I find all of the screams about the Leica price interesting because if I add up the costs of my past medium format purchases of one Aptus 22, one Phase p21+ and comparable contax bodies, it would be equal to two Leicas, and a set of lenses.  At least the Leica produces an in camera jpeg, shoots kind of semi fast (for a medium format camera) and (hold your breath on this one) has an LCD that you can see an image.

I don't think the bling factor means anything in our biz anymore, (except maybe the RED), but if it did Leica has a lot more bling than almost any still camera brand made.

I would find the Leica interesting if I was a still photography only type of guy, but times have changed.

No, the doom and gloom on medium format is their own doing and the small medium format industry has been telling us forever why we can't have certain features (see LCD) why backs have to be proprietary to one camera make by the mount (well most of them) and fights  tooth and nail to take market share away from each other rather than expand the medium format market altogether.

Now as far as doom and gloom in the professional photography biz, that just comes from the way the numbers in advertising have been cut and as of today they are quite deep because the consumer world wide isn't buying anything that's not bargain basement and even then are buying less than a year ago, much less than two years ago.  Add into the mix publishing is in a transition of traditional print to web display and today though I can buy a new system, even an expensive one I won't, for the simple reason none of my clients are asking for 1.2 fps imagery, so I won't spend any serious money on anything that doesn't shoot at least 60 fps.

My clients aren't  talking megapixels/megabytes, their talking K.  

2k, 4k, maybe someday 6k.  

Now if what you say is true and Phase One has deep pockets and will be around for a long time, I strongly suggest they produce a press release stating so, because today the world has turned upside down and the customer is the one with the power and won't buy anything without some kind of assurance that a company will be around in the future with "real"  innovative product beyond more megapixels.

I'll tell you how much things have changed.  Last week after shooting a gig in LA, we did an exhaustive search for new studio lease space, but this time rather than me producing my credit report, I requested the Landlord produce theirs along with a letter from the bank, because the last thing I want is to see a new building go belly up and distract me from my business.

Think about that one for a moment.

Bottom line, it's a bottom line world and nobody is shy about asking anything, including how much, how long, how soon, how good and if not how do you return it?

Vague press releases and manufacturers talking through their dealers don't cut it anymore, because once again, nobody is shy about asking for the real facts before they write any check.

BC

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up