Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad H1d22 - any Comments  (Read 2522 times)

pflower

Hasselblad H1d22 - any Comments
« on: July 29, 2009, 11:25:18 am »

I have noted some of these going at very reasonable prices - i.e. at much less than refurbished or even 2nd hand P21s - does anyone have any experience with these backs - I have seen reasonably favourable reviews of the cameras but what about the backs?

Thanks

SeanFS

• http://www.seanshadbolt.co.nz
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 09:50:54 pm »

Quote from: pflower
I have noted some of these going at very reasonable prices - i.e. at much less than refurbished or even 2nd hand P21s - does anyone have any experience with these backs - I have seen reasonably favourable reviews of the cameras but what about the backs?

Thanks

I have the  132c 22 on a V series camera ( imacon branded back), which is the same chip etc, and also a later H3D for comparison. The 132 is still very very good and because of the continuous firmware upgrades and flexcolor /Phocus software , the quality has only improved in  the three years I have had it and still kicks 1ds3 canon butt for file quality. the H3d ( same body as h1d) is a refurbished model and was pristine when I got it  - a huge saving from new and unless you are shooting large volumes everyday I wouldn't hesitate to buy refurbished. spend the money saved on a couple of lenses. I still have V series lenses which I use on a CF converter and the new version of Phocus has V series lens corrections which are really impressive.
The only issue is the H1d has a separate image bank like the 132c , great in the studio as the long ethernet cables are really rugged and better than firewire but a bit of a nuisance on location, it never really bothered me too much as I always shoot on a  tripod for maximum resolution anyway.

pflower

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 05:35:48 pm »

Quote from: SeanFS
I have the  132c 22 on a V series camera ( imacon branded back), which is the same chip etc, and also a later H3D for comparison. The 132 is still very very good and because of the continuous firmware upgrades and flexcolor /Phocus software , the quality has only improved in  the three years I have had it and still kicks 1ds3 canon butt for file quality. the H3d ( same body as h1d) is a refurbished model and was pristine when I got it  - a huge saving from new and unless you are shooting large volumes everyday I wouldn't hesitate to buy refurbished. spend the money saved on a couple of lenses. I still have V series lenses which I use on a CF converter and the new version of Phocus has V series lens corrections which are really impressive.
The only issue is the H1d has a separate image bank like the 132c , great in the studio as the long ethernet cables are really rugged and better than firewire but a bit of a nuisance on location, it never really bothered me too much as I always shoot on a  tripod for maximum resolution anyway.

Thanks. Bit of a quandry.  The Pro Centre have H1d22's including body and metering prism at much less than anything that P1 can offer by way of a V series back on its own.  The alternative is a HD3-22 at £2.5k more - looks like a better screen and the advantage of no image bank.  then for £1k more are HD3-31 and HD3-39s.

Where to go?  I dont know.

Kitty

• http://
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 10:47:33 pm »

H1D22mp is good at low iso. iso400 is grainy.
Check the Lowpass filter on the back carefully. In some countries it has fungus problem on this filter.
You need to send it back to factory for filter replacement.

SeanFS

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 03:34:13 am »

Quote from: Kitty
H1D22mp is good at low iso. iso400 is grainy.
Check the Lowpass filter on the back carefully. In some countries it has fungus problem on this filter.
You need to send it back to factory for filter replacement.

I have had that problem on the 132c -- it was a short trip to Denmark , it wasn't fungus but an early  manufacturing problem from some sort of sealant used and I think only affected the early units like mine and not the later ones. Its pristine now and should stay that way.
 I bought the H3d 39 from the Pro centre - all cleaned up by Hasselblad and good as new with six month warranty. A very good deal and a safe way to buy only 5000 odd clicks on the camera. 400asa is not that grainy anymore! Newer firmware and software have really sorted it, I only use it in real emergencies but have been pleasantly surprised. he big pixels at that size capture plenty of light so its always had room for improvement.
 I have only used the H3d at 200asa so far, but could only tell later by the exif data, grain is there but only just and not anything you would ever see in print.

SeanFS

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 03:39:44 am »

Quote from: pflower
Thanks. Bit of a quandry.  The Pro Centre have H1d22's including body and metering prism at much less than anything that P1 can offer by way of a V series back on its own.  The alternative is a HD3-22 at £2.5k more - looks like a better screen and the advantage of no image bank.  then for £1k more are HD3-31 and HD3-39s.

Where to go?  I dont know.

I should say , I liked the bigger chip of the 39 and 22, I shoot a lot of still life and I think it suits my style to have that extra area over the 31. as far as performance goes I think  the H3d 22 and H1d would have pretty much identical file quality , its  only the handling issue of the image bank.
Pages: [1]   Go Up