Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Database for keeping track of prints?  (Read 2221 times)

spotmeter

• http://www.photographica.us
Database for keeping track of prints?
« on: July 28, 2009, 09:56:42 pm »

I have made 50 finished and mounted prints this past year, my first year of printing. Since these are the first of my finished prints, I named and numbered them 1/1, for 1st of 1st edition.

I'm looking for a database for keeping track of these prints: who bought them, where they are on exhibit, and subsequent prints of the same photograph, who bought it, where it is, etc.

Can anyone recommend a database for helping a photographer keep track of his prints?

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 01:25:25 am »

Quote from: spotmeter
I have made 50 finished and mounted prints this past year, my first year of printing. Since these are the first of my finished prints, I named and numbered them 1/1, for 1st of 1st edition.

I'm looking for a database for keeping track of these prints: who bought them, where they are on exhibit, and subsequent prints of the same photograph, who bought it, where it is, etc.

Can anyone recommend a database for helping a photographer keep track of his prints?

Honestly, you can probably just get by with a simple Excel spreadsheet for something like this. Or even a Word document with a table in it. Just create a few columns and fill in the info as you sell/exhibit them. Anything else is likely far too much hassle for the number of prints you're talking about.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 01:43:25 am »

It really depends on what software you have and what experience you have with databases.  As Neil said, a simple Word or Excel file would work.  If you know Access you can easily create a contact database using that as well.  If you don't you can go to http://www.openoffice.org and download a free equivalent (Oo Base).

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

howardm

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 07:43:17 am »

agreed.  it really depends on how much of a computer guy you are and how much time & energy you want to put to this.

you could easily get away w/ suggested solutions (word/excel/Oo or access) (or Bento on a Mac).  You can't make a business ($$) case for a much more 'advanced' solution.

titusbear

• http://contemplativeeye.com
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 03:12:32 pm »

Maybe not 'business' sense - re: advance solution - but there is a need for a complete data set for each image printed if you are a serious /collectible artist.  The information is not for 'business' but sure as hell makes life easier for galleries /curators / conservators /et.al.
For each print I make I assign a unique number /  # print -# in series / title / date taken.  But I also include the size of the actual print (in inches and cm.) / paper type and size  / ink type and ink volume used.   A 'comment' section notes any critical information about the print (unique size / changes from normal work-flow /et.al.).   This is especially critical if you 'modify' the simple print by adding any sort of mixed media / inks /substances - each of which should be carefully and accurately identified.
 Each database entry includes a color thumbnail of the image - because it's impossible to accurately remember titles /file names once you get past a couple of hundred images.  May see like a burden - but for a collector /gallery / conservator - the ability to accurately identify a print down the road is critical.  Information is also important re: monitoring the technical life of the print (things like fading, color change).

e/tb
contemplativeeye.com

you could easily get away w/ suggested solutions (word/excel/Oo or access) (or Bento on a Mac).  You can't make a business ($$) case for a much more 'advanced' solution.
[/quote]

spotmeter

• http://www.photographica.us
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 03:44:52 pm »

Quote from: titusbear
Maybe not 'business' sense - re: advance solution - but there is a need for a complete data set for each image printed if you are a serious /collectible artist.  The information is not for 'business' but sure as hell makes life easier for galleries /curators / conservators /et.al.
For each print I make I assign a unique number /  # print -# in series / title / date taken.  But I also include the size of the actual print (in inches and cm.) / paper type and size  / ink type and ink volume used.   A 'comment' section notes any critical information about the print (unique size / changes from normal work-flow /et.al.).   This is especially critical if you 'modify' the simple print by adding any sort of mixed media / inks /substances - each of which should be carefully and accurately identified.
 Each database entry includes a color thumbnail of the image - because it's impossible to accurately remember titles /file names once you get past a couple of hundred images.  May see like a burden - but for a collector /gallery / conservator - the ability to accurately identify a print down the road is critical.  Information is also important re: monitoring the technical life of the print (things like fading, color change).

e/tb
contemplativeeye.com

Thank you for your thoughtful reply to my original posting.

What do you use for a database to keep all this information for later access?

MHMG

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 03:55:42 pm »

Quote from: titusbear

As noted by others, Excel is a not half bad database since it can make lists, sort, and obviously apply some statistics. Most photo conservators/museum curators know how to deal with it as well. Another "poor man's" database is a good digital asset management (DAM) software program like Microsoft Media Express (formerly iView MediaPro). While DAMs aren't particularly useful for counting quantities or applying calculations to your data sets, they are very good at doing the sort of things with images that you are talking about. Media Express will allow you to create custom fields, for example, for the kinds of print properties you want to track. It will also track non image files like Word, Excel, PDF, and so forth that will likely also go hand in hand with your print documentation efforts. This latter feature is the big reason why I haven't allowed image editors like Lightroom or Aperture to take over my image file management activities. They only deal with image formats and don't track all the other stuff I have to keep track of. Why carry two DAM libraries if you can get away with one  

cheers,

Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 01:54:31 am »

Quote from: spotmeter
Thank you for your thoughtful reply to my original posting.

What do you use for a database to keep all this information for later access?

Even if you wind up printing and selling 200 prints over the next couple of years, a spreadsheet in something like Excel will work just fine. Label each column with the name of each item MHMG mentioned. Then as you do each print just fill in a new row with the data. Excel lets you sort, filter, find, do calulations, etc.

Heck, even if you *were* to step up to an Access database (or something similar) for this, the quickest way to get going is to basically create a table with each of the things MHMG mentioned, and then edit it in table view... which winds up being nearly identical to the Excel option, only with more work.

I've attached a zip file that contains an Excel spreadsheet to illustrate how it would work. One is for Excel 2007, the other is saved for Excel 2003.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!
Pages: [1]   Go Up