Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: image losing profile on upload?  (Read 3244 times)

a_krause

image losing profile on upload?
« on: July 28, 2009, 09:52:57 am »

Im saving an image via save for web in photoshop with the profile embedded, when I look at its info before I upload it to my website it has sRGB tagged in it, but once its on my site I drag the image to my desktop and look at its info and it dosent mention sRGB, does that mean its losing the embedded profile?

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 10:12:27 am »

It's obviously a lot larger file too. Perhaps you should take a closer look at the method used to upload your files?
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 10:19:41 am »

Quote from: a_krause
Im saving an image via save for web in photoshop with the profile embedded, when I look at its info before I upload it to my website it has sRGB tagged in it, but once its on my site I drag the image to my desktop and look at its info and it dosent mention sRGB, does that mean its losing the embedded profile?

I'm not sure what the specific answer to your question is, but one way of finding out would be to insure that all the profile mismatch and missing profile warnings in your Photoshop color management preferences are turned on; then open the image in Photoshop you've downloaded from your website and see whether you get a missing profile or profile mismatch warning based on any difference between your working space and the image profile (if any). Once the image is opened you can also activate "Convert to Profile" for a read of what the currently embedded profile is. Of course another more obvious hint is whether the colours look right in the image that has been "Saved for Web and Devices". If they do look OK, chances are that both BPC and sRGB are working. If they don't look like the colours in the original source file as you think they should be based on the adjustments you made, then chances are the profile is missing. Normally, one would expect a "Save for Web and Devices" operation to conserve your profile options (presumably BPC enabled and sRGB colour space).
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

a_krause

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 11:52:02 am »

Thanks for getting back to me. I actually for whatever reasons had the "embed profile" option in the save for web not clicked, plus I just got a new NEC wide gamut monitor, also adding to weird color shifts on the internets in general. But me and my webguy pretty much figured it out, with that said after doing tests Safaris color management rendered more accurate results then Mozilla [even after playing around with its color management options]

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 12:12:32 pm »

Gosh these programs are pretty dumb, eh? Unless you TELL THEM to embed the profile, chances are they won't!    

(Seriously, glad you discovered the root of the problem and resolved it.)
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 05:49:06 pm »

Still doesn't explain why your exported file was 48K at 515x415 and your uploaded file was 164K at 639x515. Something else is obviously going on.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up