Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't Match The Color Of A Copy From The Same File...  (Read 1178 times)

jrdigiart

• http://
Can't Match The Color Of A Copy From The Same File...
« on: July 27, 2009, 06:36:34 pm »

I'm not sure where this post belongs, but I thought i'd try here first.

I created a sepia mural 6' x 20', consisting of 7 panels.  Foolishly, I printed them with an "invalid profile" on my Z3100.  First I printed 2 panels and about a week later I printed the remaining 5. These 5 panels didn't match the original 2... and now, during installation, a panel ripped and I need to re-print it.  I have since fixed the problem with the Z3100, and created the proper profile.  I re-printed the panel thinking I'd just need to do some color correcting due to the new profile.  Using Photoshop CS4, I tried color correcting 4 different segments from the original file. Through trial and error, I printed test strips, but after about 20 of them, I realized I needed another approach.  Using the 4 segments from the test strips, I overlaid them on top of the original panel I need to match.  I photographed them and in PS, created a split screen of the two, thinking it would be easy to match colors, but the same thing happens... correcting one area creates a shift somewhere else.  This seems to defy logic... I don't understand how segments from the same file can't be color corrected unilaterally.  What am I missing?  All advice is greatly appreciated!!

Thanx,

Joe Roselli
JR Digital Artworks

seangirard

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 06:54:28 pm »

Can you just go back and use the original profile for the reprint?

If that won't work I would probably just cut my losses and reprint the series. 6x20 is pretty big. You want it to be right.

-sean

jrdigiart

• http://
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 08:59:40 pm »

Quote from: seangirard
Can you just go back and use the original profile for the reprint?

If that won't work I would probably just cut my losses and reprint the series. 6x20 is pretty big. You want it to be right.

-sean

Hi Sean,

When I used the original profile, I printed 3 different sets of panels, each about a week apart.  Each set came out a different shade of sepia, some more red, some more yellow, but within each set, the color was consistent.  It makes no sense to me... even with an "invalid" profile, I would think that all of the prints would be consistent.  My worst case scenario is printing it all again... as you said, it has to be right, but I don't know if my client (my brother!) is willing to tear down the only remaining panel... which went up perfectly.

jr
Pages: [1]   Go Up