Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re-using roll  (Read 1516 times)

Damir

Re-using roll
« on: July 27, 2009, 12:55:51 pm »

It is simple idea; I need to print 40 x 50 cm pictures from 61 cm roll. Is it possible to make 10 cm wide test strips along one side of the roll, inspect them than rewind roll back and use the rest of 51 cm for printing the pictures. Printer is HP DJ Z3100, of course I know that I need to switch off the cuter. Anyone tried this?

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
Re-using roll
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 01:06:05 pm »

Yes, you can do it.  Using the move paper menu command on the control panel, it is certainly possible.  You have the issue of how easy it is going to be to evaluate the proofs while still on the printer, and the possibility of some paper transport issues if you are printing on a delicate surface.  I sometimes do this with canvas.  You will need to trick the printer by choosing a larger paper size to allow you to accurately position the test prints, since by default page sizes are placed to the right side of a roll.  Choose a page size that is the full width of the roll for the proof and place it on the right side of the page in Photoshop's print dialogue to get it to print on the left side of the roll (the prints come out top first from the printer).  You can then use a normal page size for the full size images and it will print on the right side of the roll as it exits the printer.  It may be more straightforward if you are using Qimage.  Another approach would be to print the proofs, then slice them off of the roll and feed the remainder as larger sheets instead of a roll.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Re-using roll
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 01:17:27 pm »

I tried some two pass printing on canvas with my 9880 when I was testing profiles.  I got head swipes on the already printed side during the second pass, could see that the canvas peaks were slightly burnished down.  Apparently the ink caused the canvas to swell up a bit.  Nozzle clogs?  Oh yeah!

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
Re-using roll
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 01:38:10 pm »

Quote from: bill t.
I tried some two pass printing on canvas with my 9880 when I was testing profiles.  I got head swipes on the already printed side during the second pass, could see that the canvas peaks were slightly burnished down.  Apparently the ink caused the canvas to swell up a bit.  Nozzle clogs?  Oh yeah!
Print on the left side of the roll and the head won't even pass over the material again when you print on the right.  The material still needs to be pulled back and forth with the pinch rollers and star wheels on an HP printer, but head strikes should not be a worry.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Damir

Re-using roll
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 07:22:40 pm »

Thank you for ideas!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up