Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dawn - Another question about this one.  (Read 1454 times)

cmi

Dawn - Another question about this one.
« on: July 27, 2009, 06:54:18 am »

I want to bring up an image I showed earlier. I do think its ok as it is, but there is one question about it. I wonder about the position of the sun in the frame. Im somehow not quite happy with it, somehow too central. But its not only about the sun, Im basically asking for suggestions of other, maybe fundamentally different framing options I could have utilized.

button

• http://
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 10:29:14 am »

Quote from: Christian Miersch
I want to bring up an image I showed earlier. I do think its ok as it is, but there is one question about it. I wonder about the position of the sun in the frame. Im somehow not quite happy with it, somehow too central. But its not only about the sun, Im basically asking for suggestions of other, maybe fundamentally different framing options I could have utilized.

Since you are asking, maybe this shot would work more effectively if you had taken it 15 minutes or so earlier?  That way, the diagonal line implied from the dark grass just below the tree and house would almost intersect with a sun about halfway over the horizon.  Currently, the line doesn't quite do that and creates a bit of visual dissonance, which I don't think works for an image such as this.

John

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 10:29:53 am »

Christian, The answer is obvious: (1) cut the sun out of the picture and put it on a separate layer. (2) Clone the sky over the empty spot where you cut the sun. (3) Move the sun layer to where you want it and plunk it down. Be sure you use plenty of feathering when you place the sun. (4) Flatten the image.

Isn't this the kind of thing we always do when we get back with a photograph and want to "fix" it to make it better?
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

cmi

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 12:28:39 pm »

Quote from: button
Since you are asking, maybe this shot would work more effectively if you had taken it 15 minutes or so earlier?  That way, the diagonal line implied from the dark grass just below the tree and house would almost intersect with a sun about halfway over the horizon.  Currently, the line doesn't quite do that and creates a bit of visual dissonance, which I don't think works for an image such as this.

John

John,

I think that would have been an option. This shot was almost the last this morning, I had not planned anything, I discovered it, so to say. At shooting time I was very unsure where to place the sun, I only knew that I wanted to go as near as possible. I also think its good that I posted this, it got me thinking about it, and now I believe I just should have tried also a vertical, a square, and a total. So im pretty much answering my own question. Also an image wich focuses more at the whole sun fading out, with the building somehow smaller, and full in the frame would be possible I guess.

Christian
Pages: [1]   Go Up