Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: photography fees for shooting vidio  (Read 4592 times)

Dennishh

photography fees for shooting vidio
« on: July 26, 2009, 10:53:38 am »

Has anyone added shooting Video to there studio work flow and how much are you charging additional for this service? The best Ive seen on this is and additional hourly charge. It seems not enough considering the time to shoot and equipment demands.
Thanks,
Dennis

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 03:36:05 pm »

Quote from: Dennishh
Has anyone added shooting Video to there studio work flow and how much are you charging additional for this service? The best Ive seen on this is and additional hourly charge. It seems not enough considering the time to shoot and equipment demands.
Thanks,
Dennis

I see my trade now as Digital Imager

so I shoot moving at no extra cost

BUT

would suggest a kit fee may be in order

just like I add for using my Hassy Rig or Studio

Because I charge by the Day etc I just point out that shooting movies too will make for a longer duration (ie more cost)

Additionally I charge Digital Post by the hour so get more hours of Post time editing a film (ie more cost)

The ability to shoot both means to me I have USP and can have a higher dayrate than stills only competition or just provide better value

S

Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Dennishh

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 06:58:28 pm »

Nice Steadicam work, did you make your own or buy one? I wish there was a more agreed on standard for extra fees and computer time as apposed to still fees. Usage becomes a huge issue if clients want to use for other things. I could see your surfing stuff showing up in so many different places.
Thanks,
Dennis

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 03:24:32 am »

Quote from: Dennishh
Nice Steadicam work, did you make your own or buy one? I wish there was a more agreed on standard for extra fees and computer time as apposed to still fees. Usage becomes a huge issue if clients want to use for other things. I could see your surfing stuff showing up in so many different places.
Thanks,
Dennis

Sadly (for my wallet) I have three commercial 'steadicams' a Pilot, a Merlin and a CMR Blackbird

If the work is nice then I hope over time to command higher rates in the marketplace

I still adhere to the traditional price structure

High rate for creative time

lower rate for PP time (hopefully I will be able to sub this at some point)

and 'licence' to publish - either charged for or included in the creative fee

any third party using my material would be in breach of that licence

My fundamental point is that I am not a still photographer any more but a digital imager (or something)

S

Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Dennishh

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 02:07:09 pm »

Hi Sam,
I know what you mean about the digital imager (or something) thing. As you can see from the amount of replies on this subject we are not alone. The same thing happening when digital first hit with a lack of anyone knowing what to charge and now with the recession it's even worse. The clients make out like bandits during this time. As with digital still work, we need to have a sense of what we need to charge. For straight digital it's accepted to charge a raw capture fee, equipment usage fee, computer time fee and the day-rate or usage pulse expenses.  With Video there are already fees that have been established by unions and independent film makers that are difficult to get one's hands on. The extra time for getting Video and stills done is one way of billing, but seems to me is undercutting the real value of the creative work. Just rendering the footage is bad enough never mind the editing and assembling of the final product. For now I will have to wing it and wait for the clients to turn blue when they get the estimate. Day-rate pulse, capture, rendering, editing, equipment usage and expenses. All the Video shooters rent everything, so why shouldn't we do the same.
Dennis
Pages: [1]   Go Up