Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rustic  (Read 2579 times)

kikashi

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6365
Rustic
« on: July 25, 2009, 02:25:33 PM »

Taken in England. Comments welcome. In particular, what's the tree?

[attachment=15678:rust.jpg]  [attachment=15680:door.jpg]  [attachment=15679:tree.jpg]

Jeremy
Logged

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13592
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Rustic
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 03:25:46 PM »

I like them. My favorite is the first; I find rust very photogenic, and the contrast with the bricks is nice.

I have never encountered a tree like that one! This looks like another identification task for Mike.

Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes    (A sampler of my new book is on my website.)
http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my photo website (Server is back up). New images each season. Also visit my new website: http://ericneedsakidney.org

RSL

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9551
    • http://www.russ-lewis.com
Rustic
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 03:57:28 PM »

Jeremy, #1 is a good, straight rendition of an interesting subject with a fine distribution of colors. #3 is exceptionally good. The distribution of bright areas against the dark background, and the colors are stunning. In my opinion, #2 won't quite cut the mustard. The bright, blank area in the upper left unbalances the whole thing, though the door and its surroundings are interesting. I really like #3.

Richowens

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 932
Rustic
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 04:48:07 PM »

Jeremy,

 The "tree" appears to be a white Wisteria. Normally Wisteria is a vine and it appears this one has been woven into a "tree" shape.

Rich

TMcCulley

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 107
    • http://
Rustic
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 06:49:46 PM »

Quote from: RSL
Jeremy, #1 is a good, straight rendition of an interesting subject with a fine distribution of colors. #3 is exceptionally good. The distribution of bright areas against the dark background, and the colors are stunning. In my opinion, #2 won't quite cut the mustard. The bright, blank area in the upper left unbalances the whole thing, though the door and its surroundings are interesting. I really like #3.
Russ,
I agree with your assesment but I feel like #2 has a potential if it could be corrected.  Maybe in color or is there something that could be done to relieve the brightness.  I would not want to crop it to much to get rid of the white because it would remove some of the interesting lines.  Can it be improved?

Jeremy,
Good Eye

Tom
Logged

RSL

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9551
    • http://www.russ-lewis.com
Rustic
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 01:41:29 PM »

Quote from: TMcCulley
Russ,
I agree with your assesment but I feel like #2 has a potential if it could be corrected.  Maybe in color or is there something that could be done to relieve the brightness.  I would not want to crop it to much to get rid of the white because it would remove some of the interesting lines.  Can it be improved?

Jeremy,
Good Eye

Tom

Tom, Jeremy's a good photographer so I'm reluctant to second-guess him. If I were there I might try stepping to the left to see if an angled shot might preserve the beauty of the door and cut out the blank sky on the left, but I don't know what else is to the right and I don't know what obstacles are on the left. The obvious crop is this:

[attachment=15695:door.jpg]

But that destroys the proportions of the picture, though it looks sort of like a door that Fox Talbot shot in the middle nineteenth century using his paper negative process.

There used to be a beautiful door like this in St. Augustine, Florida. Because of the way its surroundings shaded the light it was very difficult to get a picture of it that could do it justice. This is the best I ever was able to do, and I'm still not satisfied with it:

[attachment=15696:Door2.jpg]

Unfortunately I won't be able to try again. The last hurricane that hit St. Augustine trashed the door, and it's gone now.

kikashi

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6365
Rustic
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 05:45:03 PM »

Quote from: RSL
Tom, Jeremy's a good photographer so I'm reluctant to second-guess him. If I were there I might try stepping to the left to see if an angled shot might preserve the beauty of the door and cut out the blank sky on the left, but I don't know what else is to the right and I don't know what obstacles are on the left. The obvious crop is this:
Thanks, all.

Alas, there's nothing in the sky at all. The day had turned from sunny (when I took the rusty shot) into dull, overcast and featureless by the time I took this one. It's often the way in north west England! I didn't like the result when I cropped out the sky altogether, though. The photograph is very uninteresting in colour and it doesn't help, as the sky looks exactly the same.

However, I shall return! The location is Arley Hall in Cheshire, only a few miles from my home. It has very beautiful gardens and a fairly old (1830s) house. I could either get a more interesting sky with some clouds in it (there's no shortage of the damn things around here) or I'll move a bit to the left.

I rather like doors. Here's another, this time from France (not that it matters much, I suppose). I thought about cloning out the light fitting, but a flash of purity caught me by surprise.

[attachment=15698:door.jpg]

Jeremy
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 05:47:06 PM by kikashi »
Logged

RSL

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9551
    • http://www.russ-lewis.com
Rustic
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 07:31:15 PM »

Quote from: kikashi
Thanks, all.

Alas, there's nothing in the sky at all. The day had turned from sunny (when I took the rusty shot) into dull, overcast and featureless by the time I took this one. It's often the way in north west England! I didn't like the result when I cropped out the sky altogether, though. The photograph is very uninteresting in colour and it doesn't help, as the sky looks exactly the same.

However, I shall return! The location is Arley Hall in Cheshire, only a few miles from my home. It has very beautiful gardens and a fairly old (1830s) house. I could either get a more interesting sky with some clouds in it (there's no shortage of the damn things around here) or I'll move a bit to the left.

I rather like doors. Here's another, this time from France (not that it matters much, I suppose). I thought about cloning out the light fitting, but a flash of purity caught me by surprise.

Jeremy

Jeremy, That's a good one. I agree, doors can be beautiful. A couple years ago I put together a fairly thick comb-bound book of doors. I still like to flip back through it.

Good for you. Always pay attention to flashes of purity. They can keep you out of photographic purgatory.

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13592
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Rustic
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 09:46:04 PM »

Quote from: kikashi
I rather like doors. Here's another, this time from France (not that it matters much, I suppose). I thought about cloning out the light fitting, but a flash of purity caught me by surprise.

[attachment=15698:door.jpg]

Jeremy
Jeremy,

I like your doors! But having no ethics or scruples myself, I would certainly clone out the light fitting in this one. I will admit I was even thinking of cloning some of the foliage to fill the blank sky in the BW door. (I'm waiting for B&H to have a deep discount sale on Consciences.    )

Eric

Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes    (A sampler of my new book is on my website.)
http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my photo website (Server is back up). New images each season. Also visit my new website: http://ericneedsakidney.org

RSL

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9551
    • http://www.russ-lewis.com
Rustic
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 09:59:26 PM »

Quote from: EricM
Jeremy,

I like your doors! But having no ethics or scruples myself, I would certainly clone out the light fitting in this one. I will admit I was even thinking of cloning some of the foliage to fill the blank sky in the BW door. (I'm waiting for B&H to have a deep discount sale on Consciences.    )

Eric

Eric, They'll probably have it soon, but don't wait until Saturday to buy it.

On the other hand, if B&H carries it, Adorama probably will too.  

cmi

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 492
Rustic
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 04:29:49 PM »

Jeremy,

I like them all, especially the second, it has some kind of calmness to it I love very much. However I would prefer a tighter crop focusing even more on the door, and also leave out the sky.

Christian
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up