Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One 4.8.1 really slow lately  (Read 3804 times)

Snook

Capture One 4.8.1 really slow lately
« on: July 24, 2009, 10:21:13 am »

Hey guys thought maybe someone could help out or offer some advice.
The last 2-3 sessions I have done tethered with my P30 and RZ have been REALLY slow. CO seems to Bog down and we have to wait for all the iages to come in.
I am tethering the same macbook pro I have always tethered to. I am using an HD LCD TV screen as 2nd monitor to the lap top. Could that have any kind of effect?
I seem to shoot an the images come in slow and then I have to wait until the last one s profile schanges and then they start to chnge on the HD LCD screen...
Very frustrating when trying to do a shoot as I cannot see the images as they come in. I have to wait until a fire of like 10 shots, wait for them to come in and have color change to the profile and then I can see them on the LCD screen, but the do not seem to shuffl as I shoot.
WOuld appreciate any advice.
I have use the set up for along time with no problems. Actually I used the same set up on another shoot a week or so agao and it was not so slow as I remember.

Thanks in advance for any tips!.
Again shooting 10.5.7 MAcbook pro 17" (not the newer screen like imac) 4 gigs of ram and 256 video card.

Snook

P.S. Could it have anything to do with the change from 10.5.6 to 10.5.7 , it is the only thing I can think of really or the TV LCD screen, but should not affect anything or no?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 10:23:27 am by Snook »

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 11:07:01 am »

Quote from: Snook
P.S. Could it have anything to do with the change from 10.5.6 to 10.5.7 , it is the only thing I can think of really or the TV LCD screen, but should not affect anything or no?

As you have personal experience with this combination should be rock solid, fast, and stable. If it was in fact this way and now is slow/unstable/unreliable then it's being caused by A) something that has changed   something that has broken.

A] Do you have a bootable backup of your system from when everything was smooth that you could quickly boot into to check if a change in software (e.g. 10.5.6 --> 10.5.7) caused the problem?

B] Have you troubleshooted to figure out whether this problem also occurs with other firewire ports on the same computer, different firewire cables, another computer entirely, or when using "Menu > Configuration > Battery Power" (needed if the voltage of your MBP FW port has become inconsistent)?

Chances are very small it's the digital back; chances are even slimmer that the problem is inherent to a clean install of C1 4.8.1 (because of the number of users using 4.8.1 in this situation with no problems).

I'd also try a reinstall of C1 to see if a preference or permission has been goofed up.

Doug

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 11:14:14 am by dougpetersonci »

woof75

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 11:27:40 am »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
As you have personal experience with this combination should be rock solid, fast, and stable. If it was in fact this way and now is slow/unstable/unreliable then it's being caused by A) something that has changed   something that has broken.

A] Do you have a bootable backup of your system from when everything was smooth that you could quickly boot into to check if a change in software (e.g. 10.5.6 --> 10.5.7) caused the problem?

B] Have you troubleshooted to figure out whether this problem also occurs with other firewire ports on the same computer, different firewire cables, another computer entirely, or when using "Menu > Configuration > Battery Power" (needed if the voltage of your MBP FW port has become inconsistent)?

Chances are very small it's the digital back; chances are even slimmer that the problem is inherent to a clean install of C1 4.8.1 (because of the number of users using 4.8.1 in this situation with no problems).

I'd also try a reinstall of C1 to see if a preference or permission has been goofed up.

Doug

I feel like the latest iteration of C1 has been slower than previous versions, I'm on a new 17 inch macbook pro. Nothing changed, it just seems to be running slower.

G_Allen

• http://www.plasticimage.com
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 11:54:56 am »

I would try running disk utility or disk warrior on your drive. A few months ago, C1 started to slow down a lot while tethering -- it turned out to be the first symptom of a dying hard drive.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 11:55:23 am by G_Allen »

Doug Peterson

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 12:59:31 pm »

Quote from: woof75
I feel like the latest iteration of C1 has been slower than previous versions, I'm on a new 17 inch macbook pro. Nothing changed, it just seems to be running slower.

Any given version, for any given use (camera/computer/workflow), may be 10-20% faster or slower than the previous version (though the general trend from 4.5 --> 4.8.1 is very strongly towards dramatically faster performance all around).

What the OP is referencing is a very dramatic slow down. Moreover a slow down compared to the same usage with the same version just a few weeks ago.

So something has happened. It is not normal*; therefore the cause can be found and rectified.

*It's very likely that if this were a systemic problem with C1 that I would know about it

Doug Peterson

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 01:02:17 pm »

Quote from: G_Allen
I would try running disk utility or disk warrior on your drive. A few months ago, C1 started to slow down a lot while tethering -- it turned out to be the first symptom of a dying hard drive.

An especially good suggestion since the slow down reported is during tethered capture when demand on the HD write/cache system is the highest.

Aztecaphoto

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 01:57:07 pm »

Have you tried applejack 1.5?
It´s free and it worked for me...

Snook

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 04:21:08 pm »

Quote from: aztecaphoto
Have you tried applejack 1.5?
It´s free and it worked for me...

Thnaks doug and all for the replies.
What is apple Jack.
Yes I have done amny Disk warrior and So checks but they all come up with the HD as being fine?
I sure hated to re-install everything again but ave no clue why it is so darn slow.
I will try to do a complete un install of all C-1 software. The strange thing s is that the same machine was doing fine as I remember several weeks ago.
There is only one fire port and actually I am using a fire wire 400 to Pigtail 800 and using the 800 fire wire slot instead of the 400.
Could be the cable and I will have to try to check that out as well.
Everything is being shot in studio with computer plugged in to wall socket. I will try the changing the fire wire cables or try on a shorter fire wire 400 only to see if it could be the problem.
Actually right around the same time I noticed I would get the flashing battery symbol on the Back and thought it was strange as I am connected to a firewire port and the battery should not matter.
Alos not sure if anybody has had this happen also, But Doug I ntice everytime I turn on my P30 back the Date adjustment is on screen for me to change the Date??? Even when I change the date when I turn the Back back on the Date adjustment is popped up agai with the year 2007.
SHould there be any cause for this? Do the Phase backs have any little wctch style batteries that go some where? How does the Back keep date when no battery is hooked up? There must be some kind of internal battery or no?
Again thanks for all the Information.
I can rule out the LCD montior right? I would not think that has anything to do with it but you never know.
Thanks agin for the help and I hope I can get this all up to par again.

Something is definetly wrong as I have to wait for a long time for the images to come in. Then they get profiles, I can see them changing rpofile color and then the last image finally pops up on screen but it some how skips all the in between images.
Example I  shoot, then the frst images comes on the LCD (TV screen) then I shoot 10-15 images they all come in SLOW then they get profile change and then the LAST image pops up on the LCD (TV) None of the images shot between ever come up/
Hope that makes sense.

Snook.

PS. the first thing I did was a Disk warrior and Boot up disk repair permissions and it all says the HD is fine.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 06:06:06 pm »

Snook:

Have you tried shooting to CF card? Any issues there?

If you are importing images from CF card and working them in C1, any slowness there?

Is it just the speed of images coming in that is the problem?

Also - you mention you ran DiskWarrior and it said HD fine. Did you examine and replace the directory?

Thanks,
Steve
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Snook

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 06:54:02 pm »

Hey Steve thanks. I do not think it is the BAck at all.. Hopefully..:+}

No I did not replace the directory, might try that next.

Is the Date thing anything to worry about or do you know why it might default always to that when I turn on the back.
I will try your suggestion tomorrow after a job I have.
Again I do not think it is the back as the images are fine and everything sems to work well. just taking along time to appear and a lot of beach balls in C-1 during and after the shoot..
Thanks again for your help.
Snook

Rick_Allen

• http://www.rapdigital.net
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 10:58:40 pm »

I find that I need to uninstall C1 v4 every couple weeks to keep things running smooth. One of the reasons I wrote this uninstall app. it only take a minute so worth doing. Also I find that doing a complete system restore once a month worth doing. Easiest way to do that is to carbon copy clone your clean system onto a Fw drive and then every month just boot from the external and CCC that system over the internal one. This external system drive is also a great thing to have handy on set in case of emergency.
Rick Allen
[url=http://www.rapdigital.ne

selsoe

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 07:14:23 am »

I'd say it could definitely have something to do with the LCD TV, especially if that is new in your setup. Having a high resolution (second) viewer will make CO a lot busier because it has to generate high quality images for that viewer as well as the main viewer. If you view at the same crop/zoom level in the different viewers it should have less of an impact though (but where's the fun in that?). My recommendation is to try without the extra LCD (or simply close the extra viewer) and see if that makes any difference.

/Mikkel
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 07:15:47 am by selsoe »

digitalcameraman

• Capture Integration
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 08:34:01 am »

Quote from: Snook
Thnaks doug and all for the replies.
What is apple Jack.
Yes I have done amny Disk warrior and So checks but they all come up with the HD as being fine?
I sure hated to re-install everything again but ave no clue why it is so darn slow.
I will try to do a complete un install of all C-1 software. The strange thing s is that the same machine was doing fine as I remember several weeks ago.
There is only one fire port and actually I am using a fire wire 400 to Pigtail 800 and using the 800 fire wire slot instead of the 400.
Could be the cable and I will have to try to check that out as well.
Everything is being shot in studio with computer plugged in to wall socket. I will try the changing the fire wire cables or try on a shorter fire wire 400 only to see if it could be the problem.
Actually right around the same time I noticed I would get the flashing battery symbol on the Back and thought it was strange as I am connected to a firewire port and the battery should not matter.
Alos not sure if anybody has had this happen also, But Doug I ntice everytime I turn on my P30 back the Date adjustment is on screen for me to change the Date??? Even when I change the date when I turn the Back back on the Date adjustment is popped up agai with the year 2007.
SHould there be any cause for this? Do the Phase backs have any little wctch style batteries that go some where? How does the Back keep date when no battery is hooked up? There must be some kind of internal battery or no?
Again thanks for all the Information.
I can rule out the LCD montior right? I would not think that has anything to do with it but you never know.
Thanks agin for the help and I hope I can get this all up to par again.

Something is definetly wrong as I have to wait for a long time for the images to come in. Then they get profiles, I can see them changing rpofile color and then the last image finally pops up on screen but it some how skips all the in between images.
Example I  shoot, then the frst images comes on the LCD (TV screen) then I shoot 10-15 images they all come in SLOW then they get profile change and then the LAST image pops up on the LCD (TV) None of the images shot between ever come up/
Hope that makes sense.

Snook.

PS. the first thing I did was a Disk warrior and Boot up disk repair permissions and it all says the HD is fine.

Snook:

One thing I see here is that you said you see the firewire symbol goes from battery to firewire cable on the back. to me this indicates you are loosing your connection from computer. If the battery is set to auto connect it would do this when the signal drops below the voltage c1 requires. many times I see this happen when 30 ft cable or being used. I have the Somnet 800 to 400 adapter to use on brand new laptops that only have 800. If you are using some kind of pigtail to convert the 400 to 800 and using the 800 port that might be your problem right there. I would toggle back to use battery instead of auto detect and see if problem resolves. You could also use Belkin Firwire hub to isolate if it is a unstable power issue. C1 is designed to look for voltage on firewire port at 12V + or - 1 volt. If you drop below that they software will not see back. Sometimes I have customers hooting with 30 ft no problems for 6 months and then it just will not connect. Plug 15 ft factory cable in a works perfect. And like Steve mentioned, if you test with CF you should be able to tell if it is a back issue. 99% time it is not the back.

Chris Snipes
Image Production, Inc

Authorized Phase One Reseller

www.imageproduction.com
chris@imageproduction.com
Chris Snipes
Sales Manager Capture Integ

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 09:31:08 am »

Snook,

We offer dedicated 15' 400/ 800 FW cables that may help you connect more solidly to your MacBook Pro.  They are only $29.95 + shipping.

http://www.captureintegration.com/solutions/featuredproduct/

[attachment=15744:Picture_3.png]

Chris Lawery(e-mail Me)
Pages: [1]   Go Up