Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: PS doesn't launch, Adobe doesn't respond  (Read 6972 times)

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
PS doesn't launch, Adobe doesn't respond
« on: July 23, 2009, 05:22:28 pm »

Hi

This does not belong on this forum. But the place where it belongs does not react. What can I do??

My Photoshop (10.0.1 on Mac 10.4.11) has stopped to launch about the 20. of June. The 24. June,  a case on the Adobe web site was opened (# 0181015652). There has been much writing to and fro, I have un- and re-installed PS from the CD etc etc. The last exchange was that the support wanted a crash log, which I ftp'ed on 10. july. And I have not heard from them since. This can not be true - can it? What could I do? Open a case about a case?

Sorry to bother you with this, but I just don't know what to do.

Hening.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 05:30:38 pm »

What happens when you try to launch PS? Does it crash immediately? Do you get an error message? Is there any visual feedback at all?
Eric Chan

francois

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 03:12:02 am »

Quote from: Hening
Hi

This does not belong on this forum. But the place where it belongs does not react. What can I do??

My Photoshop (10.0.1 on Mac 10.4.11) has stopped to launch about the 20. of June. The 24. June,  a case on the Adobe web site was opened (# 0181015652). There has been much writing to and fro, I have un- and re-installed PS from the CD etc etc. The last exchange was that the support wanted a crash log, which I ftp'ed on 10. july. And I have not heard from them since. This can not be true - can it? What could I do? Open a case about a case?

Sorry to bother you with this, but I just don't know what to do.

Hening.
A two things to try:

• Open the Console and look for error messages (other than the crash log) when Photoshop is launched
• Try to open Photoshop from a newly created user account

And if you have spare time and a spare hard drive, install Mac OS X and Photoshop on an external drive and see if the issue is still present.
Francois

francois

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 06:05:48 am »

Another thing you could try is to startup your Mac in safe mode (Shift key pressed)…
Francois

sniper

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 07:28:09 am »

As I understand it Adobe are closed one week a quarter (money saving) this may be part of the reason your not getting a reply, I don't know the dates they close so maybe somebody with Adobe connections can tell you more.

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 02:12:42 pm »

Hi!
Thank you all who have responded.

@Eric:
When I try to launch, the splash screen appears for a short time, then ther is an error message "The application Photoshop has unexpectedly quit. - A crash report has been generated.  To provide us with the best chance of fixing this problem, please select Continue to add a detailed description that includes the steps required to reproduce the crash.
- Adobe will use this crash report to help find a future solution to this problem."

@François:
New user account: this is among the things I have tried so far.
Console:
I have just tried to start PS after starting the System in safe mode, but the latest log entry in /Library/Logs/Adobe/Installers/Adobe Photoshop CS3 10.log.gz log is dated 25. June 2009, and I can not see anything clarifying there, but this is beyond my technical understanding.
I'll now try to install the System and PS on a different volume.

@Sniper:
I suspected that something holiday might be involved, but would have exspected som sort of announcement...

Thanks again - Hening.

francois

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 05:17:59 am »

Anothing thing: do you have thirs party plugins?

Let us know when you have installed a fresh system on an external HD. Your issue is puzzling, indeed.
Francois

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 10:35:34 am »

I have 4 external plug-ins installed, I have just removed them, then re-started the Mac and then tried to launch PS - no difference. :-(  - In  a little while, I'll try to install the System + PS on an external volume.

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 11:34:52 am »

The first step to troubleshooting Photoshop problems should be to trash the preference file. From the description it seems the culprit as it resides in a folder other than the rest of the Photoshop files. A corrupt preference file will prevent Photoshop from launching.

Just hold the Shift-Option-Command keys (PC: Shift-Alt-Control) when you first launch Photoshop, and you’ll be greeted with a dialog box asking you if you want to delete the Photoshop settings file. Click OK, and Photoshop will then build a new, factory-fresh set of Prefs for you.

Gerald J Skrocki

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 04:59:50 pm »

Thank you for the tip, Gerald. - I have now un-installed PS from my main HD and re-installed it on an external drive - to no avail. A complete new install should be as good as deleting the prefs, shouldn't it?
Hening.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 05:39:37 pm »

Thank you for the tip, Gerald. - I have now un-installed PS from my main HD and re-installed it on an external drive - to no avail. A complete new install should be as good as deleting the prefs, shouldn't it?
Hening.
Not necessarily, no. The prefs will live (probably) in the Library folder of your home folder. Uninstalling may delete the prefs (depending on the uninstaller) or may leave them untouched and delete just the application. If the problem is in your prefs, it won't matter on which hard disk you have the main program installed. The application will always look in the same place for its preferences.

Jeremy

jerryrock

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 05:45:55 pm »

Hening.

If the preference file is not deleted, the program will use the file already installed on the computer. The preference file on a Mac reside in User/Library/Preferences/.
My computer shows several preference files for Photoshop, including com.adobe.Photoshop.plist. In Library/Preferences/ Adobe Photoshop CS4 Settings, I find the following files:

Gerald J Skrocki

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 06:19:04 pm »

Thanks for your tips. I have now started up pressing shift-opt-cmd; next manually deleted all prefs, settings and paths, everything that was PS, on both volumes (the startup and the external one on which PS now is installed) in both Library and User/Library, then restarted the Mac - no difference.
Hening.

jerryrock

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 10:36:49 am »

Thanks for your tips. I have now started up pressing shift-opt-cmd; next manually deleted all prefs, settings and paths, everything that was PS, on both volumes (the startup and the external one on which PS now is installed) in both Library and User/Library, then restarted the Mac - no difference.
Hening.

I believe Photoshop must be installed on your start up drive.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 10:37:27 am by jerryrock »
Gerald J Skrocki

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 04:05:18 pm »

Quote from: jerryrock
I believe Photoshop must be installed on your start up drive.
Thanks for the tip. I'll try to launch PS chosing the external volume as the startup volume, whe I'm back home. Right now I am on a trip though. Best regards - Hening.

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 02:49:39 pm »

Back home again. Now I have chosen the external volume with the fresh OS and PS install as the startup volume, and YES, now PS launches! - In the meantime, after 3 weeks of unexplained silence, the Adobe support also responded, suggesting a defect font might be the culprit. So I trashed all fonts from the main (=normal startup) volume and replaced them by the fonts of the fresh OS install. Now PS does not install onto the main volume... well, now Adobe seems to be back, so I hope they find a solution.

One strange thing: Even though I made no modifications of the fresh OS install, it contained 2 fonts that must have been my custom installed fonts of the main volume..?? (They were named with HB, and I recall that they were the result of a local support guy trying to recover the Arial font, of which the italic and bold versions had got lost.)

Thank you for your tips. Hening.

francois

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 02:36:23 am »

Back home again. Now I have chosen the external volume with the fresh OS and PS install as the startup volume, and YES, now PS launches! - In the meantime, after 3 weeks of unexplained silence, the Adobe support also responded, suggesting a defect font might be the culprit. So I trashed all fonts from the main (=normal startup) volume and replaced them by the fonts of the fresh OS install. Now PS does not install onto the main volume... well, now Adobe seems to be back, so I hope they find a solution.

One strange thing: Even though I made no modifications of the fresh OS install, it contained 2 fonts that must have been my custom installed fonts of the main volume..?? (They were named with HB, and I recall that they were the result of a local support guy trying to recover the Arial font, of which the italic and bold versions had got lost.)

Thank you for your tips. Hening.
Glad to hear that finally you can use Photoshop… No idea about the fonts.
Francois

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 03:08:25 pm »

> Glad to hear that finally you can use Photoshop…

Unfortunately not. Having PS on an external volume was only an emergency solution, and now even that is gone: I can no longer make the Mac start from that volume. The volume shows up in System Preferences/Start disk, I can select it, it is highlighted, everything looks like it should, but the Mac starts from the main volume.

So now I can neither use PS, nor activate/de-activate/uninstall it, and thus not re-install it on the main volume nor elsewhere.

And Adobe is silent. I am going nuts!  

Hening.

francois

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2009, 03:44:53 pm »

... I am going nuts!  
I do understand!  
Francois

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2009, 02:27:46 pm »

Now, following a tip from BDAqua on the Apple forum, I have re-set the P-RAM on the MacBook, and this enables me to start from the external drive. I grabbed the chance to activate and register my PS (again). Now, I want PS back on my main volume in my customized working environment. Would anybody know what I should do? De-activate and un-install from the external volume? I mean this is required if one wants to install PS on a different *computer*, but is it necessary/advisable just for a different *volume* on the same system? Could it do any harm to do it?

Hening.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up