Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New 7900 firmware  (Read 4093 times)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
New 7900 firmware
« on: July 23, 2009, 02:54:04 pm »

Using the Epson Printer Utility today I decided to check the firmware.  I was somewhat surprised to see a firmware update was available. When I installed the printer about 6 weeks ago I immediately did a firmware update, so a little research and sure enough, this was a new firmware update package and upgraded the printer to version 1.12 (previously 1.11).

I cannot find any documentation on this update, and EpsonUSA does not have it available for download ... version 1.11 is still posted there. The only way to get this update as of today is using the utility and having the printer itself on a network that can access the internet.   I assume some info will be available soon as well as a downloadable version.  From what Jeff has stated perhaps this firmware update disables auto nozzle checks on single channel cleans.

As an aside, this second printer is now performing much like my 11880.  After about 3 weeks of settling in, clogging seems to be a non issue.  At the beginning of the month I printed several large prints for an exhibit, but the printer has been off since then.  After being off for 2 weeks, I started it up today and no clogs.  

vgogolak

• http://
New 7900 firmware
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 03:06:15 pm »

Wayne
Thx for the update. Good to hear about no nclog after a rest, as my travels cause that a lot

regards
Victor

fjmcsu

New 7900 firmware
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 09:36:26 pm »

Finally for what appears good news & Kudos to Epson .I did the update & promptly noted clogging in my yellow channel(always seems to be this one!) So I  did the paired cleaning which apparently worked since it took 1/4 of the time or LESS and cleared the clog AND without an error message stating it could not clear the clog/asking for repeat cleaning!! I did not to get to print anything yet today but it seems as some of the issues with manual cleaning have been fixed. I have yet to try to return to the other options of auto or periodic cleaning though.

Ryan Grayley

• RGB Arts Ltd
New 7900 firmware
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 05:25:40 am »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
Using the Epson Printer Utility today I decided to check the firmware.  I was somewhat surprised to see a firmware update was available. When I installed the printer about 6 weeks ago I immediately did a firmware update, so a little research and sure enough, this was a new firmware update package and upgraded the printer to version 1.12 (previously 1.11).

Thanks for the info Wayne. As a result I have now tried the update via the Printer Utility.

In my case, the Utility reported that the NIC firmware update was from 1.11 to 1.12 while the main firmware update was from HN02793 to HN02995. Last night I went ahead with both updates but I have yet to observe any obvious changes. I also checked the Epson UK and Epson Europe web sites and the latest firmware update is dated  20th July 2009. The Epson firmware description is, "Network interface support is improved with this version."

I only use my 7900 for Mk as most of my prints are on matte Photo Rag. For canvas, photo black and oversize I use my Z3200.

By the way, from now on every time I print a nozzle test pattern I am going to write down my Hygro humidity and temperature readings next to the pattern. The prints will then go into a folder that I will keep in the 7900 stand pocket.
It may then be interesting to review the clog frequency against humidity and temperature over the next 6 months as the seasons go through autumn (fall) and winter. Is any one else doing something like this? It would be good to compare notes in the coming months.
Ryan Grayley BA IEng MIET ARPS
RGB Arts Ltd, London, UK

rvestal

• http://www.ultimatelightimages.com
New 7900 firmware
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 06:26:30 am »

I had a similar situation this weekend when I set up our new 7900.  When I updated the firmware it showed HN02995, v1.12 using the firmware update program.  The Epson UK site is still showing a different version available for manual download (April 09).

EDIT: I have to take that back...the Epson UK site is now showing (just as of this morning) v.HN00906300, 20 July 2009...that might even be different from what I've got installed.

I do have a question for those of you who may know: When I run the firmware updater now, it sees the printer over the network and reports the information on the current firmware version that is installed.  When you tell it to acquire the latest firmware information, the message that is returned is "Cannot find the latest firmware information".

Does this message mean that the firmware is up-to-date? Or is there a connectivity problem?  (If the later, the network and the internet are both working, so I guess I would probably need to go to Epson)

Thanks, Randy
Randy
 [url=http://www.ultimatelightimage

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
New 7900 firmware
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 06:32:11 pm »

Quote from: rvestal
I do have a question for those of you who may know: When I run the firmware updater now, it sees the printer over the network and reports the information on the current firmware version that is installed.  When you tell it to acquire the latest firmware information, the message that is returned is "Cannot find the latest firmware information".

Does this message mean that the firmware is up-to-date? Or is there a connectivity problem?  (If the later, the network and the internet are both working, so I guess I would probably need to go to Epson)

Thanks, Randy

My 7900 exhibited the same behavior after the update.  Not sure as to the reason why.  As mentioned the Epson UK site is showing an update dated july 20th, but the only change listed is improved network performance.

JimGoshorn

New 7900 firmware
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 10:17:16 am »

Last time I called for support, I asked the tech why Epson UK has updates newer that Epson US and basically he didn't know why and said that I could update the printer with them but I got the definite impression that Epson US doesn't recommend doing so. Consequently, I only put US firmware into my printer so if there are any problems it will be their issue.

Jim

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
New 7900 firmware
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 02:29:44 pm »

Quote from: JimGoshorn
Last time I called for support, I asked the tech why Epson UK has updates newer that Epson US and basically he didn't know why and said that I could update the printer with them but I got the definite impression that Epson US doesn't recommend doing so. Consequently, I only put US firmware into my printer so if there are any problems it will be their issue.

Jim

Just to be clear, this is not about a driver update where this has been an issue in the past.  It's a firmware update I'm talking about, and is done by the printer - not downloaded and installed by the user.  I have no idea where the printer goes to search for firmware updates, but obviously wherever that is Epson is controlling it.  While the UK site may very well have posted the downloadable version of this update, it is highly unlikely the printer is getting this update from Epson UK.

The only reason I researched the UK update is to try and find out what might be included, since when updating the firmware with the printer there was no information as to what the update provided.

JimGoshorn

New 7900 firmware
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 08:46:04 pm »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
Just to be clear, this is not about a driver update where this has been an issue in the past.  It's a firmware update I'm talking about, and is done by the printer - not downloaded and installed by the user.  I have no idea where the printer goes to search for firmware updates, but obviously wherever that is Epson is controlling it.  While the UK site may very well have posted the downloadable version of this update, it is highly unlikely the printer is getting this update from Epson UK.

The only reason I researched the UK update is to try and find out what might be included, since when updating the firmware with the printer there was no information as to what the update provided.

Yes, I realize you are speaking of firmware and not drivers and I was referring to firmware as well. Like you, I am not sure where the firmware is located on the net but as a safe practice, I never update the printer firmware until the firmware is officially posted on the US site.

Jim

datro

New 7900 firmware
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 07:22:18 pm »

Just noticed that the new firmware is now officially available on the Epson USA site.

Dave

Doombrain

New 7900 firmware
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 04:55:08 am »

Quote from: JimGoshorn

Jim

It's normally due to items such as date format change or another local menu string change. Also, Epson US have a habit of changing the f/w name to suit themselves/filing system.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
New 7900 firmware
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 04:58:03 pm »

Quote from: datro
Just noticed that the new firmware is now officially available on the Epson USA site.

Dave

strangely enough the OS X version of the firmware can only be found in the windows section.  whoops.

Again it lists only improved ethernet functionality as the feature, no mention of disabling of the ANC when cleaning color pairs.

Pages: [1]   Go Up