Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Otavalo, Ecuador  (Read 4349 times)

Andres Bonilla

Otavalo, Ecuador
« on: July 23, 2009, 12:05:47 pm »

This work is based on 3 photos I took in Otavalo Ecuador, I know that some people do not care for this type of post work while some others really liked or are intrigued by it. What do you think?

Thanks,

Andres

Andres Bonilla

Otavalo, Ecuador
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 12:07:44 pm »

BTW the files look better at 100%  

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Otavalo, Ecuador
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 12:32:53 pm »

Quote from: Andres Bonilla
This work is based on 3 photos I took in Otavalo Ecuador, I know that some people do not care for this type of post work while some others really liked or are intrigued by it. What do you think?

Thanks,

Andres

Andres, I think I'd like to see the actual photographs.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Andres Bonilla

Otavalo, Ecuador
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 12:52:51 pm »

Here they are.

popnfresh

Otavalo, Ecuador
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 01:52:47 pm »

I'm not a big fan of photo art filters. I'm definitely an old school, minimal post-process kind of guy. But I think you've altered these images very tastefully. I especially like the two in color.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 01:58:15 pm by popnfresh »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Otavalo, Ecuador
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 02:35:31 pm »

Andres, These are very good photographs. Why would you want to jazz them up to make them look like something besides photographs? #2 is especially good. You've caught something in that face that's not easy to capture. Bravo!
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

shutterpup

Otavalo, Ecuador
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 03:31:40 pm »

The painterly effect did not offend, and indeed, I even liked the uncolored one(not sure what to call it)the best, until I saw the original photos. Side by side, each is what it is and I do prefer the coloring and backgrounds on the original photos better.

bwphoto

Otavalo, Ecuador
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 05:26:27 pm »

I like the effect and am considering using it for high end studio clients.  I am interested in the post work, was it done in Corel Painter or did you use an outside service.

Brian

John R

Otavalo, Ecuador
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 06:43:34 pm »

They are very good. Personally I like the two women best. The effects are not overdone in my opinion. I have seen calendars with images like this. It looks like it came out of the feudal era. And who cares what others say and what the originals looked like. As a photographer-artist, do and create whatever you like. Even when a so-called original is good, why not experiment and see what you can create, if that is your desire.

JMR
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 06:44:13 pm by John R »

cmi

Otavalo, Ecuador
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 07:37:18 pm »

Its a stunning result. These styles are complex, captivating, and well done!

My critique, the style is painterly, but I still see photographs: This is of course not bad in itself, but the images do in my eyes dont quite hold up for this kind of sophisticated post work. However I think thats not too important since (again, for me) its mainly about the style.

Christian
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 04:50:56 am by Christian Miersch »

Andres Bonilla

Otavalo, Ecuador
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 01:29:03 pm »

Quote from: popnfresh
I'm not a big fan of photo art filters. I'm definitely an old school, minimal post-process kind of guy. But I think you've altered these images very tastefully. I especially like the two in color.
Thank you! I also do not like the global, one click ,pseudo-painting filters. You see them in all of the schools fliers. I worked very hard with Photoshop and Painter to deviate from that approach. It is still a learning process.

Andres Bonilla

Otavalo, Ecuador
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 01:34:43 pm »

Quote from: RSL
Andres, These are very good photographs. Why would you want to jazz them up to make them look like something besides photographs? #2 is especially good. You've caught something in that face that's not easy to capture. Bravo!
Thanks! I think it is a matter of taste, I have several friends that barely touch their photos in Photoshop, they feel if they don't capture the moment or the lighting properly, they will NEXT time. Of course they would never alter a photo in this fashion! I also have many photos that I have edited a little  bit Like Milo and ones with minimal or no process like  Buendia.

Andres Bonilla

Otavalo, Ecuador
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 01:38:34 pm »

Quote from: shutterpup
The painterly effect did not offend, and indeed, I even liked the uncolored one(not sure what to call it)the best, until I saw the original photos. Side by side, each is what it is and I do prefer the coloring and backgrounds on the original photos better.
Thanks for your reply. Wow! Actually what I did not like was the backgrounds, I felt they did not add anything to the photos but I need to revisit the other photos and see them with a different lupe. I have a few in the market where the sorroundings were part of the photo, I will work on those. The Black and White one was a semi pencil charcoal approach,

Andres Bonilla

Otavalo, Ecuador
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 01:40:10 pm »

Quote from: bwphoto
I like the effect and am considering using it for high end studio clients.  I am interested in the post work, was it done in Corel Painter or did you use an outside service.

Brian
Thanks Brian, it was done in CS2 and Painter 8 ( they are on Painter 11 now ) Painter is a very robust program that I know only a little bit and PS of course is great.

Andres Bonilla

Otavalo, Ecuador
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 01:44:33 pm »

Quote from: John R
They are very good. Personally I like the two women best. The effects are not overdone in my opinion. I have seen calendars with images like this. It looks like it came out of the feudal era. And who cares what others say and what the originals looked like. As a photographer-artist, do and create whatever you like. Even when a so-called original is good, why not experiment and see what you can create, if that is your desire.

JMR
Thank you! the one with the two women won a honorable mention at the International Photography Costco contest. I have had better response with my experimental photos than with my more straightforward ones.

Andres Bonilla

Otavalo, Ecuador
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2009, 01:50:52 pm »

Quote from: Christian Miersch
Its a stunning result. These styles are complex, captivating, and well done!

My critique, the style is painterly, but I still see photographs: This is of course not bad in itself, but the images do in my eyes dont quite hold up for this kind of sophisticated post work. However I think thats not too important since (again, for me) its mainly about the style.

Christian
Thanks Christian, that is a line that I still have not define yet, should I go totally painterly or leave a trace of the photo. I have been told that they are neither hound not hare, that I should leave them alone or totally change them. I am still working on that.

cmi

Otavalo, Ecuador
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2009, 02:37:30 pm »

Quote from: Andres Bonilla
Thanks Christian, that is a line that I still have not define yet, should I go totally painterly or leave a trace of the photo. I have been told that they are neither hound not hare, that I should leave them alone or totally change them. I am still working on that.

What I wanted to say Andres, I looked at them and said "wow, nice!", but at the same time, something is disturbing me, is not quite right. So I look at them pretending they are just real paintings at a wall. And THATS the point where I say, hm, ok, a painter wouldnt do it like this! He would instead... and so suddendly you come up with a list of things.

And I think both ways are ok: Go all the way to a painting, or also, let them be modified photos. I only say, in this case, it disturbs me. (But apart from that, my personal opinion, I would no doubt go all the way to a painting, its only consequent!) But on the other hand I dont want to be over-critical, these are excellent results, and also its obvious that this cant be standart-filters, with all the work on the colors and hand-painted textures.

The ship by the way convinces me less, the new images are clearly better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up