Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Thought about selling my 1Ds mark III...story inside  (Read 18201 times)

Ken R

Thought about selling my 1Ds mark III...story inside
« on: July 23, 2009, 02:11:13 am »

Hi, I though about selling my 1Ds mark III while it held some of its value and get a 5D mk2 (to go alongside my original 5D which I still have) but didnt. Seems people are selling them for $4800-$5000 (kinda strange when a new 1D mark III is $4,000 with half the pixels) which is ok. But the 1Ds is such a joy to use that I decided not to sell it. It has helped me produce high quality images time and time again under all kinds of light and environments!

Nowadays the 5D mark II seems to get all the glory while the 1Ds mark III keeps working in the shadows out of the spotlight. I guess that is the life of a DSLR in this day and age after a few years after being introduced to the world ( 2 years this august ). Yes, the 1Ds lacks the video. But, it has absolutely one of the best DSLR viewfinders ever made. It has great durability and great battery performance. Its a joy to hold (its a bit on the heavy side of things but balances very well with primes and short zooms) with a quality feel and responsiveness that the 5D lacks (something the Nikon D700 does have!). Is this the last great DSLR I will ever buy? Is this as much as I will ever need? Well, I cant seem to need or want better files (even though I am an advertising and architectural photographer). A Canon 14-24mm lens like the Nikon would be nice though.

My journey in photography has been quite long (at least to me!). My first SLR was a hand-me-down Konica (way back in the late 80's), the I got a new Nikon FM2n (still have that camera), the a progression through Nikon AF SLR's, first a N6006 and then a N90s (very good camera). A lot of years passed (before I became a professional). I then got my first DSLR! A FUji S2 pro. Wow, I now could use all my Nikon glass which I had accumulated over the years. (no f2.8 zooms though, didnt have the money). I started working with the Fuji and it delivered. Time and time again even in somewhat poor light (or what I though was poor!). Then came Canon.

I tried a 10d and man it was much faster and produced cleaner images (no more waiting a long time to view images on the rear lcd while the camera was writing to card!) than the fuji. Then came the 1D mark II, wow, very fast, clean files, pro body. I believe that singlehandedly, the 1D mark II is the camera that caused the massive Nikon to Canon switch years ago and much of those users have stayed with Canon still even though Nikon has matched or even exceeded in some cases Canon's offerings. As if the 1D mark II was not enough out came the 5D! Wow Finally, after all these years I have a DSLR that is kinda like my FM2n, yes not as compact. But full frame again! wow. A 50mm is a 50mm again! The files were terrific (still are) and life was good. A few years go by and the 1Ds mark III shows up. I can still remember that day. The black sexy box (smaller than I though it would be though, $7500 all in those few cubic inches?? ahhh). I charged up the batteries, put on the 50mm and looked through the viewfinder and WOW. Took a few images, opened them up in photoshop..and WOW. And I though the 5D was amazing! The 1Ds mark III handled the highlights better (even in jpg files which handle a surprising ammount of manipulation) the detail, that "3d" look that is talked about, everything there. Plus all the "little" things like the menu and the focus adjustment, highlight priority, great high iso performance, awesome viewfinder, great battery, etc etc.

I just cant seem to let it go...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 02:12:41 am by sneakyracer »

Rob C

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 05:12:35 am »

Quote from: sneakyracer

Wow!

Rob C

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 06:04:23 am »

Quote from: sneakyracer
Hi, I though about selling my 1Ds mark III while it held some of its value and get a 5D mk2 (to go alongside my original 5D which I still have) but didnt.

I guess that video would be the only rationnal reason why you might to downgrade, other than that your 1ds3 is a much better camera and I would totally keep it as well if I were in your situation.

Cheers,
Bernard

greygrad

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 09:41:30 am »

Maybe slightly off-topic: This reminds me of a conversation I once had with an engineer on a construction site. I was so used to seeing these guys using $10k Panasonic Toughbooks that when he pulled out a bottom-of-the-range Dell, probably retailing at $400 I was amazed. But, as he pointed out, it did everything the Toughbook did, and yet he could trash 25 of these for the price of a new Toughbook. So it is with the 'giants' like the 1Ds Mk III and D3x - wonderful cameras, pretty much as good as they get these days for a full-frame 35mm size sensor - but for 99% of people out there, their smaller siblings - the 5D MkII and D700x (when it appears) do everything (and more) they could ask for. Hell, even my poorly weathersealed 5D came back from a good soaking in the sea and the occasional drop onto concrete .

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 03:17:50 pm »

Quote from: greygrad
Maybe slightly off-topic: This reminds me of a conversation I once had with an engineer on a construction site. I was so used to seeing these guys using $10k Panasonic Toughbooks that when he pulled out a bottom-of-the-range Dell, probably retailing at $400 I was amazed. But, as he pointed out, it did everything the Toughbook did, and yet he could trash 25 of these for the price of a new Toughbook. So it is with the 'giants' like the 1Ds Mk III and D3x - wonderful cameras, pretty much as good as they get these days for a full-frame 35mm size sensor - but for 99% of people out there, their smaller siblings - the 5D MkII and D700x (when it appears) do everything (and more) they could ask for. Hell, even my poorly weathersealed 5D came back from a good soaking in the sea and the occasional drop onto concrete .

I sold my 1DsMk3 and just kept my 5DII. Why ? Because I didn't see a reason to keep the 1 camera. So in the End I still got around 4400EURs for the camera. I'm sure when a new 1DsMk4 comes out later this year, or early next year it will be down to around 3000 ( the old one), or even more if the new One is around 6-7k instead of 8-9. My 5DII works absolutly fine. I haven't head any problems so far. I used it in raind and recently here in Death Valley by 130+ without any problems. The main reason, however is that I did not want to carry around a heavy 1Ds, besides a medium format or large format camera. Here I think the 5DII shines. It is small light and still offeres one of best possible image quality.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

douglasf13

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 05:17:44 pm »

Quote from: Christopher
I sold my 1DsMk3 and just kept my 5DII. Why ? Because I didn't see a reason to keep the 1 camera. So in the End I still got around 4400EURs for the camera. I'm sure when a new 1DsMk4 comes out later this year, or early next year it will be down to around 3000 ( the old one), or even more if the new One is around 6-7k instead of 8-9. My 5DII works absolutly fine. I haven't head any problems so far. I used it in raind and recently here in Death Valley by 130+ without any problems. The main reason, however is that I did not want to carry around a heavy 1Ds, besides a medium format or large format camera. Here I think the 5DII shines. It is small light and still offeres one of best possible image quality.

Isn't the 1 series normally on a 3 year cycle, meaning fall of 2010 for the 1ds IV?

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 06:05:42 pm »

I picked up a 5dII for the first time last weekend. I did not shoot with it, It felt like a toy. I'm sure it is capable of quality work, but it does not feel like a professional tool. Twice this year I've had to stand in the pouring rain shooting with the 1DsmkIII, that alone is reason enough to have a smkIII and not a 5D.
Kevin
Kevin.

buckshot

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 08:04:50 pm »

Quote from: KevinA
I picked up a 5dII for the first time last weekend. I did not shoot with it, It felt like a toy. I'm sure it is capable of quality work, but it does not feel like a professional tool. Twice this year I've had to stand in the pouring rain shooting with the 1DsmkIII, that alone is reason enough to have a smkIII and not a 5D.
Kevin

It's a testimony then as to how well these 'toy' cameras are built by just how many people around the world (especially the non-western-world) are using them to make a living - and not just in the dry, I'm sure.

Ken R

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 10:50:33 pm »

Quote from: buckshot
It's a testimony then as to how well these 'toy' cameras are built by just how many people around the world (especially the non-western-world) are using them to make a living - and not just in the dry, I'm sure.

Yes, you can obviously. In fact I made my living with the "lowly" S2pro for a while. Careful technique and really producing what's in front of the lens (subject, context, light etc) is really of upmost importance when making quality images regardless of the camera. Guess what, my S2 eventually got the "black death" syndrome and died. Thank god it never happened on a job. But I sure was taking chances. (had no money for a second body, heck I was trying to make money!). Most cameras will do fine if you are careful with them even in bad weather. I have a cheap Olympus e-410 that has survived extremely humid rainforest hikes and sub zero temperatures combined with high winds and snow high up on a ridge above 13k feet on the Colorado Rockies (I was extremely careful and really took less images than I wanted to) As they say the best camera is the one you have with you...

BUT... the feel of a 1 series is hard to beat. The way it responds, eye, brain, finger, shutter, click...to capture the precise moment in a shoot. nice. Of course, for just landscapes that doesnt matter much. (the weather resistance and reliability does however)

Do I need all the 1 series has to offer all the time? Absolutely not. But its there in those moments when I do. I remember on shoot specifically. I was hired to shoot all day on a film for tv production for several coca cola commercials. The day was dreadful. Rained almost all day and the production had tarps on frames all over the place to protect their expensive ARRI camera. Guess what those things leaked on me more than once. In the middle of scenes I had to shoot. I couldnt stop, I had to keep going! I protected my camera as much as I could but still it got a tad wet. Never a problem. That was a year ago and have shot thousands more frames with zero issues.

Do I really think Canon needs to offer a compact 1 series body? Absolutely! It would be the perfect camera for studio and nature/travel. Sadly the 5D isnt it. Its close. In fact, Canon can leave all the internals intact as they are and just put them inside a much better body.

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 10:17:46 am »

I did get a 5D II, mostly for the low light/high ISO capability, and for that it is a good stop or two better than the 1Ds III. This also lets me avoid repeatedly swapping lenses in dusty conditions; I keep a short/normal zoom on the 1Ds III and the 70-200 f:2.8 on the 5D II.

But the 1Ds III definitely handles nicer. I do appreciate the brick-solid build, the confidence to ignore even quite heavy rain when using it outdoors. And despite all the gnashing of teeth I've always found its autofocus plenty good enough for me, and far better than the 5D II.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 12:33:39 am »

I tried a 1DsIII and own a 5DII, and also had the impression that the two cameras are not really identical in image quality. The 5DII does feel like it has more DR, I get almost no blown highlights. Maybe the 1DsIII has a hidden setting which does the same?

The finder is really better on the 1DsIII, that much is sure

And, I don't think anyone who went out to buy a 5DII really expected it to focus anyway, so whatever it actually manages to do comes as a pleasant surprise

Edmund

Quote from: Geoff Wittig
I did get a 5D II, mostly for the low light/high ISO capability, and for that it is a good stop or two better than the 1Ds III. This also lets me avoid repeatedly swapping lenses in dusty conditions; I keep a short/normal zoom on the 1Ds III and the 70-200 f:2.8 on the 5D II.

But the 1Ds III definitely handles nicer. I do appreciate the brick-solid build, the confidence to ignore even quite heavy rain when using it outdoors. And despite all the gnashing of teeth I've always found its autofocus plenty good enough for me, and far better than the 5D II.
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 12:49:08 pm »

Deleted.  Sorry for wasting bandwidth.

MT
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 03:04:56 pm by mtomalty »

dseelig

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 01:37:17 pm »

Me I sold mine as for the time being I can get by with my 5d mk 11. I seriosily wonder how long it can hold it's price as Honk Kong Canon just lowered there prices on the 1d series. If I needed the camera keh is seems to ahver alarge stock of used ids mk111 s . I wish us all luck in this constantly upgrading world me I cannot afford the 1 grand hit a 1ds type camera  takes the second a new 1ds type camera is announced. David

canmiya

• beyond stills
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 06:10:17 pm »

Quote from: eronald
I tried a 1DsIII and own a 5DII, and also had the impression that the two cameras are not really identical in image quality. The 5DII does feel like it has more DR, I get almost no blown highlights. Maybe the 1DsIII has a hidden setting which does the same?

The finder is really better on the 1DsIII, that much is sure

And, I don't think anyone who went out to buy a 5DII really expected it to focus anyway, so whatever it actually manages to do comes as a pleasant surprise

Edmund
i own both the 5d2 and the 1ds3 and my experience is different than yours with respect to highlights:  i find that the ds3 has the edge and given the difference in the two cameras metering systems, that is what i would expect.  i also have not had issues with respect to the 5d2 focusing.  i often use both cameras on a shoot and under most circumstances i am hardpressed to tell the finished output apart.
regards

erick.boileau

• http://
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 06:01:24 am »

I sold my 1DsMk3 and  kept my 5DII , I prefer the size of the 5D  , I dont need a grip
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 06:01:35 am by erick.boileau »

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2009, 06:13:53 am »

Quote from: erick.boileau
I sold my 1DsMk3 and  kept my 5DII , I prefer the size of the 5D  , I dont need a grip

I dont own a 5D MKII - but my 5D gathers dust as I LOVE using the 1DS MK3.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2009, 09:22:38 am »

Quote from: Josh-H
I dont own a 5D MKII - but my 5D gathers dust as I LOVE using the 1DS MK3.

Ditto, I don't remember the last time I put a card in the 5d and shot frames, the 1DsMKIII and the 450d  get all the work these days.
Craig Lamson Photo

lisa_r

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2009, 03:55:34 pm »

I had the 1Ds3 and 5D2 side by side for some months. Then sold the 1Ds3 for $6300 before the prices dropped. Shooting the same subjects at the same time and looking at 100% in DPP, the 5D2 files are sharper. As long as they are both in focus, you would never see a difference in print or anywhere else. So if you get a 5D2 which focus properly with your lenses, it's a very good camera and a very good value, IMO. And the lighter weight is fantastic (especially since you can always ad weight when necessary with the BG-E6 grip.)

D.R. seems about the same to me - though if I had to choose the 5D2 does seem slightly better.

Lester

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2009, 04:18:44 pm »

Okay, this is my story. I am retired and photography is about all I do now. I have both the 1Ds MkIII and the 5D MkII. As of now, I don't even look at the 1Ds MkIII, I do not get better images, plus with the 5D MkII, I get video. One package that does it all.

I also have the Nikon D700, D3 and D3x and most of the ED lenses and L lenses. I could used anything I want, but I like the 5D Mk II. I am not a Nikon or Canon person, I just like to used the best for me. That why I used the wide angle Nikon lenses on the 5D Mk II.

I am a old fart, over 60

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2009, 05:08:28 pm »

Lester, why don't you make somene here very happy and resell that D3x? I mean that literally, if you don't use it.

Edmund

Quote from: Lester
Okay, this is my story. I am retired and photography is about all I do now. I have both the 1Ds MkIII and the 5D MkII. As of now, I don't even look at the 1Ds MkIII, I do not get better images, plus with the 5D MkII, I get video. One package that does it all.

I also have the Nikon D700, D3 and D3x and most of the ED lenses and L lenses. I could used anything I want, but I like the 5D Mk II. I am not a Nikon or Canon person, I just like to used the best for me. That why I used the wide angle Nikon lenses on the 5D Mk II.

If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up