Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7900 experience  (Read 5358 times)

vgogolak

• http://
Epson 7900 experience
« on: July 22, 2009, 04:28:29 pm »

Dear All

After years of being a photo  bigot(read dye-sub; I use  Kodak 8660 or a Lab for larger prints, such as Dale Labs)), I was impressed by MR's review of this printer, and finally decided to purchase....and I have not been disappointed.
First some general impressions;

The printer is BIG and I had to take advantage of B&H 'white glove' delivery. This was offset by an additional $300 discount and of course the $500 rebate (which came thru fine, in spite of the fact that they 'required' a barcode-the one  from the external box with 'white glove' was taken that away! So I copied every barcode in sight-I guess they were convinced since the ck came thru fine ) But be careful with rebates as they CAN get picky. I am glad that I was not tested by Epson, but then I get the impression they are getting good marks for service. The service took two tries as they first sent two guys, and that is NOT feasible-you really need the 4 they recommend.

Now, with about 5 min to set up the stand while they unpacked in my driveway, and with 3 flights to go up, the printer was in place, without any damage to my spine, and in 15 minutes the printer was physically ready to be installed-.
...except for the paper thingy. It took another hour to assemble the print catcher (is there a word for it?) and yet another 1/2 hour to shake and injstall the inks...
...then you wait. After a lot of high tech sounding servo motor action the printer said, NO PAPER. This is a good sign-meaning that the ink part worked  :-)
and you now need paper.
I first tried the free matte they sent (double weight) and it took a few readings to understand what the manual meant; however, the system is really simple and each part, from the roller caps to the indexing worked fine-a really professional design and seems robust.
The paper load is automatic and with a bit of wait (5 min?) it just gets everything register correctly.
SO, the one major past complaint, inks and paper load, is simple and automatic.
At this point the printer THINKS it is ready.

The software also takes a bit of reading also; epson recommends usung USB to forstall issues with firmware (if network hiccups) I loaded on a local machine and it just did all again automatically, including updating firmware and drivers. This was seamless though again lengthy.

I made the first print matte, from PS. This was a mistake. Setting the paper size was the first problem; I just couldnt get PS/epson driver to give up the 8.5x11 for the 24" roll. Also the length you must specify (at least from PS-see below).

So, finally I made a print. but it was 8.5x11 However, I finally got the "User Defined" paper size to stick (after a small 8.5x11 print due to the properties reverting)
It did work, but was a bit bland as I used a mountain and forest scene (from a Mont Blanc shoot), but the tonal balance was quite impressive, even here-and detail seemed fine.

But it was not what I would have written home about

I next took on network printing. After a few false starts,( it is necessary to set up the printer port-as this was NOT on a print server, MS demands one use the "attached to local computer" button, even for network.) I am sure you all here know that but my prior experience with network printers was that the setup is automated (e.g. Ricoh laser and my older Kodak 8660).

However, once you have your printer port as the TCP/IP it should be, the CD just found it and installed the Epson drivers on a further two computers. In all fairness, it is more an MS issue than Epson.

Then I loaded Qimage. It found the printer, and I set up to do some printing with a "middle line" (but I understand from some pros) is a fine Glossy the Epson Luster 260. (I have the Epson Exhibition, but that waits for me to get better!)

Loading the paper, and setting up the length warning was again exactly as advertised. The paper load went smoothly (no pun intended) and I was ready for my first "test of inkjet as possible photo printer"

I took a rather large panorama from the latest Mont Blanc trek. It was large and wound up 24"x53"

I selected it, with 'fit image' in Qimage, hit the print button and crossed my fingers. The Qimage processed, and lo, the Epson screen came up to show me the inks and paper staus, while assuring me that , yes, it was going to print my image. I did of course set the highest qua.lity, and there was no difficulty in setting the paper component. I just stuck with sRGB and told the 7900 "use the ICC embedded"

It took a few minuites-paper adjusting, heads alighning, then....
whish, whish...back and forth
and very believable image started to emerge

about 8-9 minutes later, there was the 'swish' of the paper cut, and I was faced with handling a 24x53 glossy print.. bright, quite photo like and for a fussy 66 year old, chemically trained (my aunt working in a photofinishing shop, so I have been at this for over 50 years!), more than acceptable.

Learings:

Inkjets ARE more work than 8x12 dyesub Kodak, but not at all like the painful setup and frustrations of the Canon, epson and HP I have read here for years seem, as MR says to be behind (remember I never even got to the matte vs glossy black swap stage)

You are better off printing from Qimage than from PS (but you knew that !

Image quality is really impressive; the ability to fill 10 sq feet of paper with near chemical quality (and more detail, much more detial) is nothing to be sneezed at. I grew up with B&W contact pronts from 620 film.

There may be tweeking for skin tone and such but 'out of the box' I just don't see the need for RIPs and spectrophotometers (you can home in with a few test images. I have some live pices of jackets and fabric, and these first images can be compared favourably to 'live' colors. This is a REAL surprise (beginners luck?)

The attached image is the result. (Taken with my wifes old Leica Digilux, a panasonic ripoff   LOL)
Yes I know this is no way to test prints, but with all the chances to mess up, I have give a close up that shows some of the detail, contrast and color that can be produced. trust me; the clothes colors are spot on!

So, expensive? yes at 3900 (3100 net), but with thye size and quality of images, I hope to get years from this device. And for a pano fan the roll potential is impportant.

I hope this is not read as a plug for eposn; it is just what I bought. there are HP 3200 fans and the new Canon I am sure is similar. But as MR of LL says, this is an excellent (if not best) printer at this time. If it can satisfy an old lab bigot, it must be a new plateau, and a good one.
Here's why I chose Epson:
1. MR connotations were , for the first time unequivocally positive (I can usually detect a "...but...)
2. The paper thickness was a major factor vs the HP Z3200 as I want canvas and REALLY big banner potential
3.THe conon colors seem a bit behind both (though HP reds get the nod)
4. The deal brought the price in line
5. The favourable outcome even when problems occur (both canon and HP seem to have service issues-Epson did, and seems to want to fix)

I also hope this helps those looking at upping to a larger printer (24 or 44)

I am happy to share my experiences as time goes by, but so far, so good.

regards
Victor

EdRosch

Epson 7900 experience
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 07:52:28 am »

Victor,

This is really helpful as I'm considering this printer also.  It's good to know about the B&H 'white glove' as I also have stairs and a weak back.

In my case, I'll have to shoehorn it into a small home office and need to rearrange things.  Could I ask a favor?  With the printer in its maximum footprint operational configuration, could you take a tape measure and post the size of the rectangle that the printer would fit into.  Then I, and anyone else considering one of these beasts, could make up a cardboard shape to place in the possible location to see how things would fit.

Please continue to post your adventures with this.

Thanks,

Ed

BTW- though it may be obvious,  I wanted to make sure I'm clear about what I'm asking for:  I want to make up a cardboard rectangle such that when it's placed on the floor it covers the complete area of the 7900 with all the various paper feeds, trays, etc in their fully extended positions such that I can determine if it will be possible to move around an operating printer in my office.  While the specs online say the width is 54" (if memory serves), but the depth when setup isn't so clear, so measured by a real photographer in a real apt. would be very helpful.   Thanks again
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 08:01:39 am by EdRosch »

vgogolak

Epson 7900 experience
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 09:20:14 am »

epson suggests 12" on each side. Once the plugs are in and the printer set up, you really dont need much on side or back-3-" It may be a heat issue, but this is a pretty open device.

Where you do need space is in front; loading paper, changing ink and getting prints from the carriage.

I would recommend 5.0 to 5.5 ft front to back even thought printer is only 35.5 " (3' say), with 18" in front of the carriage (which does NOT stick out much. and it holds 5" prints easily. I suppose in a tight spot 4.5 ft front to back would work with 4"/14"" back and front space respectively

width is 54" so 4.5 ft frankly if you had a way to roll in and out 5' would be fine. There isnt anything on the side (and you can reach cables from underneath.

Handling rolls is easy; sheet depends on how tall you are!

Hope this helps

regards
Victor

PS: remember the inks with the printer are mostly for priming. I did buy an extra full set . I have done half dozen color 24x26 to 54 prints and I am getting the warning for the lite black (grey I guess
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 09:25:26 am by vgogolak »

rvestal

• http://www.ultimatelightimages.com
Epson 7900 experience
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 11:49:17 am »

Hi Everyone, first post here from a longtime lurker and LL follower:

I too just took delivery of a 7900 last Friday (17 July) and while I don't normally 'blog', I did try and document the delivery and set up experience since I couldn't find much information on this aspect on the web.

If you are interested in this type of thing, you can find my experience and some images here.  (Scroll down for the images as it turned out to be a bit "wordy").

I am also happy to answer questions.

Regards, Randy
Randy
 [url=http://www.ultimatelightimage

EdRosch

Epson 7900 experience
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 02:06:55 pm »

Hi Victor and Randy,

So, if I laid out a five foot on a side square in my room and was able to work around it without excessive hassle, I could probably order the printer with some confidence of it fitting?  

Thanks again,

Ed

Randy- I just read your blog on the setup experience with great interest.  I suppose the 'starter cartridge' situation has been mentioned, but it had gone right over my head.  With the initial charging and such it looks like one has to factor a complete set of cartridges into one's budget for this.  At Atlex I see that would be about $1,400 for a set of the 350 ml's and pushing three grand for the 700's.  It looks like on a cost per ml basis, the 350's are the sweet spot.  

Both of you, please continue to post your experiences as I'm sure I'm not the only one considering getting one but as you both point out, not a trivial investment in either time, money, or effort.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 02:26:25 pm by EdRosch »

rvestal

Epson 7900 experience
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 02:16:59 pm »

Ed:

The setup guide for the printer is available in PDF format on the Epson web site.  Download that and there is a diagram (in the form of a footprint) for the printer, but yes, I think what you propose would be OK.  FWIW, mine is siting 6" off the back wall and it is a total of 2' 9" from the back wall the the front of the printer.  Victor is correct that most of the room needs to be at the front to load paper, inks, and access the printed output.

Hope this helps.  

Regards, Randy
Randy

rvestal

Epson 7900 experience
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 06:45:33 am »

Quote from: EdRosch
Hi Victor and Randy,

So, if I laid out a five foot on a side square in my room and was able to work around it without excessive hassle, I could probably order the printer with some confidence of it fitting?  

Thanks again,

Ed

Randy- I just read your blog on the setup experience with great interest.  I suppose the 'starter cartridge' situation has been mentioned, but it had gone right over my head.  With the initial charging and such it looks like one has to factor a complete set of cartridges into one's budget for this.  At Atlex I see that would be about $1,400 for a set of the 350 ml's and pushing three grand for the 700's.  It looks like on a cost per ml basis, the 350's are the sweet spot.  

Both of you, please continue to post your experiences as I'm sure I'm not the only one considering getting one but as you both point out, not a trivial investment in either time, money, or effort.

Ed:

Thanks, I hope that you and others find it useful.

The starter cartridges and all the other cartridges are all the same size in terms of physical dimensions, but the difference is the amount of fill.  Starter cartridges contain 110 ml and these are only available with a new printer.  Epson indicates that 150, 350 and 700 ml cartridges are available; but I have only been able to find the 350's and 700's (my dealer told me that the 150's are not even available in the UK).

I did buy a complete set of 350's (plus a spare maintenance tank) and had them delivered with the printer, and, yes, the complete set of inks were about half the cost of the printer!  (The dealer threw in the maintenance tank at no charge.)

As I reported in the 'blog', after the initial charging, the ink levels were at about 60% (give or take) remaining, except for the Light Black which was 36%.  Today, after a week of light use (15 pages printed, I'm still getting use to this), all of the inks are in the low to mid 50's as % remaining, except the Light Black which is now at 22%.  I think you will find that the black inks will be the first to go (depending of course on what you print), but I'll report back after this weekend.

Regards, Randy
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 06:46:19 am by rvestal »
Randy

EdRosch

Epson 7900 experience
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 08:38:10 am »

Thanks again, Very helpful,

It looks like I can block out a 5x5 square that would work and, as you've all pointed out, I'll have even more room than that, so no worries about fitting the printer into the room.

Not being able to get the 150ml cartridges is not a big loss.  Atlex sells the 350's for $131,  while at the price of the 150's, 350 ml of ink would cost about $210, a huge difference.  On the other hand, 350 ml of ink at the price they charge for the 700's would cost $140   , so you'd obviously, at least at the moment, be better off buying two of the 350's.  Go figure

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Epson 7900 experience
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 06:47:11 pm »

I suppose the 'starter cartridge' situation has been mentioned, but it had gone right over my head.  With the initial charging and such it looks like one has to factor a complete set of cartridges into one's budget for this.  At Atlex I see that would be about $1,400 for a set of the 350 ml's and pushing three grand for the 700's.  It looks like on a cost per ml basis, the 350's are the sweet spot.

You will have about 65 to 70ml of ink in all of the colors except LK after initializing the printer. This is still a lot of ink and will print a substantial amount of paper.

However, you will only have about 40ml of LK ink left after the initial charge.  That coupled with the fact the printer uses LK ink 3 to 6 times more than any other color (even when printing color images), you will run out of LK MUCH faster than the other colors.  If you are going to use the 350ml cartridges, I recommend you use the 700ml for the LK - and I recommend buying one when you take delivery of the printer or very shortly after.  As long as you don't have to fight through a lot of clogging problems the other colors will run out at a variety of times.

In addition, don't replace the cartridge when it gets to 1%.  It seems most of us have found there is still more than 10ml of ink left even though the printer is reporting 1%.  The printer will stop and ask for a replacement even in mid print when the cartridge is exhausted.  No need to change them until they are empty.

I've written up a little article if you are interested...

Tips on using an Epson 7900.

reburns

• Ralph E Burns Photography
Epson 7900 experience
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 07:14:43 pm »

In my case, I'll have to shoehorn it into a small home office and need to rearrange things...  With the printer in its maximum footprint operational configuration, could you take a tape measure and post the size of the rectangle that the printer would fit into.  ...  I want to make up a cardboard rectangle such that when it's placed on the floor it ....
Ed, see this PDF.  My 7900 sits happily inside a modest double-door closet.  The dimension that mattered for my situation is the diagonal dimension as measured from corner to corner, shown as the tightest squeeze when rotating the printer into the closet.  If you need more info, send me a sketch of your office and I can throw it into my design program instead doing real work.  Or I can send you a PDF of just the printer and you can go get it printed full-size at your local office copy shop (I've never seen Epson's footprint version).  

http://www.ascent-design.com/photo/web/Closet_w_7900.pdf
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 07:20:36 pm by reburns »

snickgrr

Epson 7900 experience
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 08:00:18 pm »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
I've written up a little article if you are interested...

Tips on using an Epson 7900.

Thanks for that Wayne.  
Yesterday I turned on the 7900 after a couple weeks of it being off, ran a nozzle check and it only showed a couple small breaks in two colors.  An artist friend was coming over and we were going to print out 30 copies of her painting to sell at the Sundance festival.  We ran a couple prints and everything looked great.  Printed another fifteen, everything looked great, ran a nozzle check, everything looked great.  So I told it print the rest and walked across the street for some beer and sushi.  Came back, looked at the prints and banding, ran a nozzle check and all colors...every single one of them had huge chunks gone.

I mean WTF! That was 98 feet of prints being run through the nozzles and you would think that with all that ink going through it would be clean as a whistle.

Your level one service clean did the trick except for a small hole in one color.

Paul

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Epson 7900 experience
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 05:14:15 am »

Ed,
I must disagree that the 350's are the sweet spot.(From a cost standpoint.) The 700ml carts cost 31 cents per ml. Comes to $216.00 per cart from Allens Camera in Levittown,Pa. call them.
The 350ml will cost you more per ml. Just divide the cost into the ml's and its easy to figure out. What many are doing is buying the 700's for the high usage colors(Blacks) and the smaller carts for the orange,green's etc.
I have had my 7900 for 7 months. Printed 174 on large (24") canvas and still have the origional green,orange and vivid magenta although they are all now just about empty. Overall pretty good on ink usage except it chews through the LK.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 11:01:47 am by Dan Berg »

rvestal

Epson 7900 experience
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 05:23:02 am »

Wayne:

Thanks for this!  Nice to have the information all collected in one place.

Just to update my experience after one week with the printer:

After 19 prints during the week, all color, all landscapes or birds, I am now at 16% on the LK ink (still on the starter sets and after the charging.)  Yesterday I did a batch of 4 22X15 prints (I was testing QImage with the printer); before the batch LK was at 22% and during the middle of printing the second print of the batch the low ink warning for LK came on.  By the time the batch finished printing I was at 16% on the LK, so on our printer the low ink warning occurred between 16 and 22%.

All of the other inks are now in the 50's and the maintenance tank is 66%.

The job sheets indicate that the entire batch of 4 prints used 18.4 ml of ink and of that, LK consumption was the highest at 5.79 ml followed by LLK at 4.70 ml.  So my experience in paralleling yours in terms of ink usage.

For the moment, I've left the ANC set to 'periodically' which was how it was when the printer came, largely because I was curious to see for myself how the ANC actually performed.  Since commissioning the printer I've had three ANC nozzle checks and one cleaning.  That cleaning didn't seem to last very long but as it was the first I've seen I've nothing to compare it too.  I haven't seen a clog yet (knock on wood).

I agree with your advice; definitely buy at least an LK cartridge when you buy the printer.  I bought a full set of 350's with the printer, but once the 350 LK cartridge is gone I will switch to the 700 for the LK.

Thanks again for the article, Randy
Randy

snickgrr

Epson 7900 experience
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 01:32:09 pm »

Is there a way to print a nozzle check from Wayne's service menu?  I think I've looked at all the possible submenus within it but could not see that as an option. Maybe I missed it.

Ryan Grayley

• RGB Arts Ltd
Epson 7900 experience
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 03:07:00 am »

Quote from: snickgrr
Is there a way to print a nozzle check from Wayne's service menu?  I think I've looked at all the possible submenus within it but could not see that as an option. Maybe I missed it.

Not as far as I know.

However, a nozzle check can be executed from the host computer in the usual way even while the printer is in service mode.
Ryan Grayley BA IEng MIET ARPS
RGB Arts Ltd, London, UK

Ryan Grayley

• RGB Arts Ltd
Epson 7900 experience
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 03:38:19 am »

Quote from: snickgrr
Printed another fifteen, everything looked great, ran a nozzle check, everything looked great.  So I told it print the rest and walked across the street for some beer and sushi.  Came back, looked at the prints and banding, ran a nozzle check and all colors...every single one of them had huge chunks gone.

Something like this happened to me too...

On several occasions my 7900 has misbehaved on coming out of low-power mode.
For example, a few days ago I ran a CL1 service mode clean on Cyan and after a nozzle check everything seemed set to go.
I then prepared an image for printing but before I submitted the job the printer had switched to low-power mode.
I didn't think this would be a problem so I submitted the print job.
The 7900 then produced a nice big expensive sheet of paper recycling (grr).
So I ran a nozzle check and about two thirds of the Cyan nozzles weren't firing.
I then cleared the blocked nozzles with another CL1 Service Mode clean and resubmitted the print job before the printer went to sleep again.
Thankfully the print was ok this time.

I am wondering if low-power mode may have disrupted the pressure/pump system and caused my problems.
Is there a way to disable the 7900 low-power mode?

And the moral of this story for me?
I now don't even trust the manual nozzle check unless I immediately run the print(s).

I think Epson are determined to get me but I also have a Z3200! (And that is another story).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 04:04:46 am by Ionaca »
Ryan Grayley BA IEng MIET ARPS
RGB Arts Ltd, London, UK

Dick Roadnight

Epson 7900 experience
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 05:12:51 am »

I am looking forward to using my 7900 at 350 original pixels per print inch, if I upgrade to a HD311-60.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 06:15:07 am by Dick Roadnight »
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses
Pages: [1]   Go Up