Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 580EX w/ STE-2 almost mint condition  (Read 6840 times)

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
Canon 580EX w/ STE-2 almost mint condition
« on: July 22, 2009, 03:10:26 pm »

SOLD
--------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 04:49:24 pm by dwdallam »

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 08:55:22 pm »

Quote from: dwdallam
the reason I'm selling is that I want to start using the Canon flashes A LOT more, due to their compactness, now that pocket wizards have gone ETTL, and I want to use the new 580EX IIs (buying three of them and four PW ETTL transceivers).

Have you tested the 580 EX II with the new PW TTL system? I have, and it's pretty inconsistent. I have been much happier with the 430 EX II flashes. (I have the 550, 580, 580 II, and 430 II flashes.) In fact I am considering selling my 580EX II flashes for some more 430 EX II.

I don't mean to hijack your sales thread. The original 580 is one of my favorites -- great flash. Hope you sell it quickly.

--Ken
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

dwdallam

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 08:19:48 pm »

Quote from: k bennett
Have you tested the 580 EX II with the new PW TTL system? I have, and it's pretty inconsistent. I have been much happier with the 430 EX II flashes. (I have the 550, 580, 580 II, and 430 II flashes.) In fact I am considering selling my 580EX II flashes for some more 430 EX II.

I don't mean to hijack your sales thread. The original 580 is one of my favorites -- great flash. Hope you sell it quickly.

--Ken

I've read the problems people were having and PW just updated their system with new firmware. The problems people were having, mostly, is that the 580EX II has a noisy RF signal. So when a 580 EX II is mounted ON TOP of the PW transceiver, the distance can be greatly reduced, like down to 30-40 feet or so. If you use the transceiver as a master w/o the flash on top, you get the full distance.

I really did think about the 430EX II but I don't like how the head works on that flash. And the price is only 150.00 US less per flash. That 450.00 more for three flashes, but then you get more power and functionality. If I get to a place where I'm needing more than three flash guns, I'll probably go with 430s for sure. I could maybe go with one 580EX II and 430s. Then I would save 300 US. But the 300 just isn't enough to sway me to them.

But I really haven't done a side by side comparison between the 580EX and the 580EX II. What would you miss not having a 580 EX II compared to the 580EX?

I'm really serious about moving to these flash guns for commercial work--non studio, non high end portraiture.  Once you get a feel, and I say 'feel,' for the Canon flash system, it's just too fast and easy to not use them, especially for things like car photography, since their footprint is just simply minimal.

Thanks for bringing this up again.

Ken Bennett

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 10:47:20 am »

1. The RF issue: my problems are with the 580 EX II mounted on the Flex TT5 used as a receiver. (I never put a flash on the TT1 on the camera.) The first time I tried this at a press conference I got about 10 feet of range, and it still only fired about half the time. Replaced the 580 EX II with a 430 EX II and it fired every time. (But then I had recycle issues, since the 430 won't take an external hv battery pack.)

Yes, there are ways to mount the 580 EX II to reduce the RF interference. I have tested them and they work. But all those methods are more complex, or prevent using it with an umbrella, etc. To me, the whole point of this system is pure simplicity -- and the work-arounds are kludgy and defeat that point.

My solution is to buy more 430 EX II flashes. I do like them. The only downside (for me) is the lack of an external battery pack. I don't know if I will keep the 580 EX II flashes, or trade them.

2. 580 Mark I versus Mark II: There is really not that much difference. The Mark I is slightly smaller, and has an external master/slave switch (which is moot if you use PW TTL). The Mark II with a sto-fen on it won't fit in my Think Tank flash pouch. That may be why I grab the Mark I most of the time.

I agree that the speedlight system is a great way to light on location. It's not cheap -- by the time you add up the 580-II speedlights, the external batteries, the PW transceivers, etc., you're looking at $800 or so per light. On the other hand, this PW unit will make the whole Canon system work better. Can't wait.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 10:47:59 am by k bennett »

dwdallam

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 08:38:07 pm »

1. The RF issue: my problems are with the 580 EX II mounted on the Flex TT5 used as a receiver. (I never put a flash on the TT1 on the camera.) The first time I tried this at a press conference I got about 10 feet of range, and it still only fired about half the time. Replaced the 580 EX II with a 430 EX II and it fired every time. (But then I had recycle issues, since the 430 won't take an external hv battery pack.)

Yes, there are ways to mount the 580 EX II to reduce the RF interference. I have tested them and they work. But all those methods are more complex, or prevent using it with an umbrella, etc. To me, the whole point of this system is pure simplicity -- and the work-arounds are kludgy and defeat that point.

My solution is to buy more 430 EX II flashes. I do like them. The only downside (for me) is the lack of an external battery pack. I don't know if I will keep the 580 EX II flashes, or trade them.

2. 580 Mark I versus Mark II: There is really not that much difference. The Mark I is slightly smaller, and has an external master/slave switch (which is moot if you use PW TTL). The Mark II with a sto-fen on it won't fit in my Think Tank flash pouch. That may be why I grab the Mark I most of the time.

I agree that the speedlight system is a great way to light on location. It's not cheap -- by the time you add up the 580-II speedlights, the external batteries, the PW transceivers, etc., you're looking at $800 or so per light. On the other hand, this PW unit will make the whole Canon system work better. Can't wait.

Aren't there other things to, technical issues, like the II series can work as TTl in MANUAL mode, and the Series I cannot? In other words, the IIs can use the camera even when in Manual mode, which is a great improvement--no preflash, but you still get TTL. Also, did you install the latest firmware? Just came out about a week ago I think.

YES! That new module is what I've been waiting for forever.  Now I know this is the system I need and want decidedly.  I don't know if most people are aware of this or not, but these new series PWs allow any studio strobe that can handle it do High Speed Sync all the way to 1/8000th. They will work on my Alien Bees, for instance.

I was wondering if you have a II series 580 on the FlexTT5 will it do the same thing?

I do fell a little sorry for the Radio Popper guys. But that's market economics.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 09:14:51 pm by dwdallam »

Will Thompson

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 12:36:34 am »

these new series PWs allow any studio strobe that can handle it do High Speed Sync all the way to 1/8000th.

No they will not!  It is a technical impossibility.  

High Speed Sync requires a compatible strobe system and a way to tell it to do it.  Almost all studio systems are incompatible!
"Galleries don't hang DxO charts" David

dwdallam

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 03:47:12 am »

Quote from: Will Thompson
No they will not!  It is a technical impossibility.  

High Speed Sync requires a compatible strobe system and a way to tell it to do it.  Almost all studio systems are incompatible!

I wonder where I got that? Maybe the Radio Poppers can do it? I don't see why a studio strobe with a long flash duration would not be able to do it too. Alien Bees have a very long flash duration.

These things have me really excited. Can you imagine the possibilities, say, shooting the sideline of a basketball game using a AB's 1600 at 1/5000 +? I mean we're talking frozen and no ambient light at all. You could mount the 1600 to a side handle on your camera and use it like a flash gun, while it's plugged into it's portable battery pack below at your feet. Geeeze!

Or you could use it outdoors to completely shut the sun out, dim, bend it, kick it's ass to your will. I mean you could do photo shoots in a driveway and the background would be pitch black--at 3PM on July in Florida at f2.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 03:48:45 am by dwdallam »

Ken Bennett

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 01:24:02 pm »

The Pocket Wizard TTL units will do something called Hypersync, which will fire the flash a little early to allow syncing above the camera sync speed. I can reliably get 1/400 sec sync speed with my Norman 400B units and also my Canon speedlights. The chart at the above link provides a lot more detail. Also get more info here.

The PW TTL units will also allow the Canon High Speed Sync mode using the Canon speedlights up to 1/8000 sec shutter speed. BUT the flash output power is significantly reduced. If I have three Speedlights in a small softbox I can shoot at 1/8000 at f/2, but the softbox has to be pretty close to the subject. This works with the Speedlights in TTL mode and also in Manual mode. (I prefer manual mode for consistency in almost every case.)

The Radio Popper web site has photos taken with an Alien Bee light at 1/8000 sec. That may be what you are remembering. The Radio Poppers don't appear to have RF problems, either.

I don't think you'll be able to shoot basketball or football at 1/4000 sec shutter speed using studio strobes in the ceiling or at the camera position with either system. The high speed sync just eats too much power output. But for portraiture, it's pretty cool.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 01:26:04 pm by k bennett »

dwdallam

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 09:05:51 pm »

Ahhh yes that must be what I saw.  Let's see, but the RPs won't let you adjust power like the new PW Controller, but only allow adjustment for ratio?  I really like the idea of being in full flash manual and being able to adjust each flash's power output on camera. That just simply rocks. It speeds things up 100 fold, as far as adjusting power on the fly goes, especially when you have lots of different positions, angles, and lighting challenges.

Paul Buff has something like that for his ABs and Lightning series strobes called the "Commander." But when you're in a studio things are much easier and so having the ability to adjust on camera is more luxury than necessity.

I think what I am going to do is order 2 580EX IIs and use my Paul buff remotes to trip them in manual (since I already have a transmitter and two receivers) and wait a month or so to see what the PW system evolves into before making any decisions.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 09:07:58 pm by dwdallam »

Ken Bennett

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 10:32:28 am »

I really like the idea of being in full flash manual and being able to adjust each flash's power output on camera. That just simply rocks. It speeds things up 100 fold, as far as adjusting power on the fly goes, especially when you have lots of different positions, angles, and lighting challenges.

Right, this is why I am very excited about the new PW Zone Controller. Not only will I be able to change the manual output of remote speedlights, but I can also *independently* adjust the Exposure Compensation in TTL mode.

dwdallam

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 10:52:35 pm »

Right, this is why I am very excited about the new PW Zone Controller. Not only will I be able to change the manual output of remote speedlights, but I can also *independently* adjust the Exposure Compensation in TTL mode.

Just got an email back from PocketWizard:

Hello,

High Speed Sync/FP is generally a function of Canon flashes but often works with other flash. Flashes at full power tend to have longer flash duration. You will have to test your flash and camera.

Thanks,
Garry Montalbano

PocketWizard Support
customer.support@pocketwizard.com

Looks like it may work. Wouldn't that be great if it worked with the small ABs line with the 1600 model, even at 1/1000? I ordered 2 580EX IIs. Should have them Thursday. I;m wondering if you think my idea to wait a couple of months before purchasing the PWs might be fruitful?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 10:54:40 pm by dwdallam »

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 03:27:44 am »

The 580 mkI can do everything that the mkII can do apart from auto flash. It certainly does have ETTL in all the camera modes. Not sure what you are trying to achieve by selling the mkI for a mkII just to use the PW's, there will be no difference whatsoever is real world usage with the PW's or without except perhaps for the very slightly faster recycle time of the mkII's. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any difference in the RF problems between the mk I and mkII. If however you want maximum functionality then Radio Poppers work perfectly, with no range issues and with every single feature of wireless ETTL including transmitting FEC and manual ratios. You need to buy a seperate widgit (zonte controller) for the PW's to do get those features and you won't be able to use a flash on camera at the same time if you do use the widgit.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 03:28:40 am by pom »

dwdallam

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 04:23:25 am »

Quote from: pom
The 580 mkI can do everything that the mkII can do apart from auto flash. It certainly does have ETTL in all the camera modes. Not sure what you are trying to achieve by selling the mkI for a mkII just to use the PW's, there will be no difference whatsoever is real world usage with the PW's or without except perhaps for the very slightly faster recycle time of the mkII's. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any difference in the RF problems between the mk I and mkII. If however you want maximum functionality then Radio Poppers work perfectly, with no range issues and with every single feature of wireless ETTL including transmitting FEC and manual ratios. You need to buy a seperate widgit (zonte controller) for the PW's to do get those features and you won't be able to use a flash on camera at the same time if you do use the widgit.

Not sure either. I have it in my head that having all the same flash will be easier to manipulate when using them all together. Also, if I can sell the STE-2 + the 580EX for 300, that almost pays for a MKII. It's a way to justify it to myself. And, I don't like having to learn two different sets of controls, or rather, having to remember both at the same time. Aren't tehre some other real differences, like rear camera control, pc plug, and some other variations also? Don;t the 580s IIs have a manual mode that allows them to also use TTL so yuo can have TTL without a preflash, which is impossible using the 580 MKI?

I just remember reading some very useful differences, things I always thought I could really use, on the MKIIs. Also, PW has announced that it is going to include more options for use not only with dedicated flashes, but with studio strobes too, like a way to control their power.

I'm reading the RP site right now, and all I can say is I'm impressed with how far they have come. I really like their system. I'm on the fence now--thanks POM--

Also, what is their new JRx? I wish their site did a better job of explaining their products.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 04:42:05 am by dwdallam »

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 06:36:45 am »

Don;t the 580s IIs have a manual mode that allows them to also use TTL so yuo can have TTL without a preflash, which is impossible using the 580 MKI?

Yup, it's called 'auto' flash and dates back to about 1950 if I remember right. It's what there was pre TTL came about in the late '80's. You would get a better auto flash functionality on a Metz or possibly even on an ancient Vivitar 283/5. The auto flash on the mkII is not known for its ease of use (though better on your mkIII) or actually it's particular accuracy compared to other auto flash units.

The 580II has auto flash, PC sync (input only, you can't fire a radio trigger from it like on the Nikons which have both in and out PC ports, grrr), quicker recycle (never noticed in real world use), weather proofing (if you have a 1 series), the lack of power up whine (which only the photographer can hear, just, anyway) and leaving the worst for last, a new hotshoe system which is notoriously for causing problems and they put the MASTER/SLAVE switch in a menu (the only change to the the menu otherwise). It's also a bit bigger and beefier.

I use both (I have 2 mkII's and a mkI) and they interchange completely as far as the menu is concerned with the exception of the MASTER/SLAVE switch much mourned in the mkII. I think there the CF's are different with the mkII but you need the manual anyway to use them. I like many other photographers I know use the mkI on camera due to that MASTER/SLAVE switch and the hotshoe problems with the mkII which can cause full power flash firing at random.

Radiopopper have a very good unit in their Px but they are pathetic otherwise, they've been promising me EU compatible units 'next month' for 6 months, their JRx units have lost spec since first announced and are still yet to actually be released and their plastic holding thing for the Px reciever has again yet to be produced after months.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 06:39:14 am by pom »

KAHA

• www.davidpoata.com
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 12:51:07 pm »

Canon 580EX w/ STE-2

I bought both of these at the same time about two years ago. Rarely used either. I think I've used the 580EX maybe five time.

There are no wear marks or scratches of any kind on either item. Both come with original box and manuals and all accessories.

the reason I'm selling is that I want to start using the Canon flashes A LOT more, due to their compactness, now that pocket wizards have gone ETTL, and I want to use the new 580EX IIs (buying three of them and four PW ETTL transceivers).

Make me an offer. I'll take pictures of both soon and post them, close ups, so you can see what condition they are in, which is perfect.

Feel free to make offers before I get the pictures up based on immaculate condition and very little use.

Thanks---

PM SENT  

randyEK

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2009, 10:31:16 pm »

Canon 580EX w/ STE-2

I bought both of these at the same time about two years ago. Rarely used either. I think I've used the 580EX maybe five time.

There are no wear marks or scratches of any kind on either item. Both come with original box and manuals and all accessories.

Make me an offer. I'll take pictures of both soon and post them, close ups, so you can see what condition they are in, which is perfect.

Feel free to make offers before I get the pictures up based on immaculate condition and very little use.

Thanks---

PM SENT
Pages: [1]   Go Up