Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera Obscura  (Read 1464 times)

robertwatcher

Camera Obscura
« on: July 22, 2009, 11:43:40 am »

My 3D animator friend and I took the day off yesterday with our wives, to head into the city for a relaxing day and some conversation.

In our discussions, my friend mentioned that he had a recently completed 3D PANO taken in a small room at an old factory, where on close examination he noticed some unexplained staining on the wall - and so attempted to figure out whether it was actually there or whether there was a reflection off of something that causing it.

Eventually when noticing that the stain looked a lot like clouds, he considered that it may be an effect similar to a pinhole camera and noticed a hole in the wall on the other side with light streaming through it - - - so his question to me yesterday, was if that was a possibility - although he doubted that such a large hole in the wall could produce the image.

This morning I opened my email to find a link to the 3D Pano - - - and sure enough he experienced a natural Camera Obscura. The clouds are evident on the wall and are obviously projected upside down from the highlights being on the bottom edge of the clouds (they will obviously be reversed as well).

I asked if I could pass on this Pano and anomaly by posting the link on photo forums - and he agreed adding that he would appreciate any Comments or feedback added to his 3D Pano website as well.

Here is the 3D STITCHED Pano where by rotating the image, you will notice the clouds on the wall and then going farther around the streaking hole in the wall is visible:

http://softdistortion.com/PANOjournal/?p=131

This is his PANO JOURNAL with all work that he has been doing on this factory project:

http://softdistortion.com/PANOjournal/

----
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 12:25:48 pm by robertwatcher »

robertwatcher

Camera Obscura
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 12:10:16 pm »

This kind of reminded me of when my children were young, we'd periodically  have fun blocking off the single window in a small spare room that we had that had a flat white wall on the opposite side, and punching a hole in the cardboard that we used to block the window - - - and viewing the house beside us on the wall projected upside down and sideways. Many times the kids would tape pieces of paper on the wall and trace parts of the image (we home schooled our children, so this was part of their instruction). We would play with the size of the opening and see how large we could get before the brighter less sharp image would disappear - - - and see how small of a hole we could go to create a sharper but dimmer image, before it disappeared. It was fun.

I think that my friend (and me to a certain degree) were surprised that it would show so clearly in a fairly well lit room with such a large opening. A very strong projection indeed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up